From the Editors
The results of the presidential election will be announced on Sunday at three pm, Presidential Elections Commission Secretary General Hatem Bagato said Saturday.
Bagato said in a statement that Farouk Sultan, head of the PEC, will be the person who will announce the result at a press conference on Sunday.
Earlier on Saturday, Sultan said that no date has been set by the commission to announce the results of the elections, state owned news agency MENA reported.
Sultan told MENA that all news about the results being announced today, Saturday, is baseless because the commission is still dealing with appeals over local voting irregularities.
On Friday, Al Jazeera Mubasher Misr quoted an unidentified source in the commission as saying that the results would be announced on Saturday.
Sultan said that once all the complaints by the two finalists are being fully investigated, the commission will set a date for announcing the results.
Results of the runoff vote between Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Morsy and Mubarak-era politician Ahmed Shafiq were postponed last week as both campaigns claimed victory.
[This article originally appeared in Egypt Independent.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Brecht wrote once, "In the future, they will not say the times were dark. They will ask: Why were their poets silent?" Some poets were silent this spring, but many others weren't.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Tadween Roundup: News and Analysis from the Publishing/Academic World
- Syria Media Roundup (May 23)
- Asfari Institute Inaugural Conference: New Spaces of Civil Society Activism in the Arab World (Beirut, 23-24 May)
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي