From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Recently, the Ministry of Tourism in Lebanon issued a memorandum banning discrimination in the country's private pools and beaches. Such a ban came after many years of the barring of entry or other forms of discrimination against migrant domestic laborers and those assumed to be migrant domestic laborers. In an effort to monitor and encourage the implementation of this recent official ban on discrimination, the Lebanese group Anti-Racism Movement has produced the following two videos highlighting the continued and widespread practice of discrimination at private beaches in Lebanon.
Flat Out Segregation at Lebanese Beaches (Part 1)
In this video, a hidden camera documents a discriminatory act the Saint-George Yacht Club and Marina (Beirut). Following the incident, the Ministry of Tourism Police were called and activists were assured that the Saint-George would be fined. The business also issued an apology promising to ensure that that such discrimination would not take place again. Activists want to be clear that they were not singling out the Saint-George club, but that this was the only available footage of what is a much broader phenomenon.
Flat Out Segregation at Lebanese Beaches (Part 2)
In this video, activists call several of the private beaches and pools to ask (1) whether migrant domestic workers are allowed to enter and (2) whether they are allowed to swim. Establishments featured include: Golden Beach (00:12); Oceana (00:28); Miramar (01:05); Long Beach (01:20); Edde Sands (01:37); Florida Beach (01:50); Portemillo (02:12); Cyna (02:47); La Plage (03:01); Las Salinas (03:31).
What You Can Do
The Anti-Racism Movement has asked that people in Lebanon do the following in an effort to support and amplify their efforts to ensure that the discrimination ban in Lebanon is enforced:
· If you witness an act of discrimination at a beach (not letting someone in, not letting them swim, other "filtration policies," etc.) please call the tourism police right away (hotline: 1735), and let them know!
· If you do not want to call the tourism police, let Anti-Racism Movement know (by phone, SMS, or email) and we will deal with it! (See contact information below.)
Please send Anti-Racism Movement your experiences at beaches in Lebanon. You can email us, call us, send us a video or a picture. You will remain completely anonymous unless you ask for your name to be used.
Anti-Racism Movement Contact Information
Phone: 01-565442 or 71-486601
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Depicting the pyramids as [...] “Egypt” perpetuates a romanticized conception of Egyptians[…] Using this image is a missed opportunity to convey the uncertainty facing many Egyptians as well as a perpetuation of a false Egyptian identity.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
On the BDS Blacklist http://t.co/ala4z9VTI1
12 hours ago
سنان أنطون: أشباح سركون بولص http://t.co/QDIHdVxMyV
13 hours ago
UC Irvine Event: Bassam Haddad on 'The Syrian Tragedy: Causes, Dynamics, and Consequences' (23 October 2014) http://t.co/ceCa3CqUBC
14 hours ago
خالد المعالي: ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص http://t.co/Pei5CgRhjb
16 hours ago
صلاح فائق: عن سركون بولص في ذكراه http://t.co/hCdxEiudwr
16 hours ago