From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Recently, the Ministry of Tourism in Lebanon issued a memorandum banning discrimination in the country's private pools and beaches. Such a ban came after many years of the barring of entry or other forms of discrimination against migrant domestic laborers and those assumed to be migrant domestic laborers. In an effort to monitor and encourage the implementation of this recent official ban on discrimination, the Lebanese group Anti-Racism Movement has produced the following two videos highlighting the continued and widespread practice of discrimination at private beaches in Lebanon.
Flat Out Segregation at Lebanese Beaches (Part 1)
In this video, a hidden camera documents a discriminatory act the Saint-George Yacht Club and Marina (Beirut). Following the incident, the Ministry of Tourism Police were called and activists were assured that the Saint-George would be fined. The business also issued an apology promising to ensure that that such discrimination would not take place again. Activists want to be clear that they were not singling out the Saint-George club, but that this was the only available footage of what is a much broader phenomenon.
Flat Out Segregation at Lebanese Beaches (Part 2)
In this video, activists call several of the private beaches and pools to ask (1) whether migrant domestic workers are allowed to enter and (2) whether they are allowed to swim. Establishments featured include: Golden Beach (00:12); Oceana (00:28); Miramar (01:05); Long Beach (01:20); Edde Sands (01:37); Florida Beach (01:50); Portemillo (02:12); Cyna (02:47); La Plage (03:01); Las Salinas (03:31).
What You Can Do
The Anti-Racism Movement has asked that people in Lebanon do the following in an effort to support and amplify their efforts to ensure that the discrimination ban in Lebanon is enforced:
· If you witness an act of discrimination at a beach (not letting someone in, not letting them swim, other "filtration policies," etc.) please call the tourism police right away (hotline: 1735), and let them know!
· If you do not want to call the tourism police, let Anti-Racism Movement know (by phone, SMS, or email) and we will deal with it! (See contact information below.)
Please send Anti-Racism Movement your experiences at beaches in Lebanon. You can email us, call us, send us a video or a picture. You will remain completely anonymous unless you ask for your name to be used.
Anti-Racism Movement Contact Information
Phone: 01-565442 or 71-486601
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"This, as I tell my students, is the beauty and the horror of the passive tense: it represents the grammatical power to dodge responsibility."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قل انتهاكات الحقوق الاقتصادية ولا تقل جرائم الفساد
- 14 منظمة حقوقية مستقلة تنتقد توسيع اختصاصات القضاء العسكري
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014)
- Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014
- Analog Sound
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (Audio Recording)
- البحر من هنا
- الحراك الجمعيّ على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام
- Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco
- New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire
- الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر
- Syria Media Roundup (October 28)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 28)
- DARS Media Roundup (October 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 28)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزَّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط / فلسطين المحتلة
- مقدمة: البحر من هنا
- هذا البحر لي
- Sarah Samy
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (September-October 2014) http://t.co/6tPHKLfjLx
yesterday at 9:10 AM
Labor Strikes in the GCC: Deportations and Victories in 2014 http://t.co/8qnpEbJRFX
yesterday at 8:05 AM
Analog sound http://t.co/2AgLn7p8VL
on Thursday 30 October at 06:59 AM
نهى عناب: البحر من هنا http://t.co/nYLAElqbt5
on Thursday 30 October at 06:45 AM
تالا حلاوة: الحراك الجمعي على مواقع التواصل الإجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام http://t.co/rMkNhJEigL
on Thursday 30 October at 06:41 AM