From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The two maps presented here offer subtly different representations of the same set of Israeli public transport data, collected from bus.co.il. Both plot the same Israeli bus routes as they travel to, or via, the same illegal settlements in the Palestinian West Bank.
Across the Wall explicitly illustrates the bus routes in the light of the growing annexation of Area C of the West Bank, and how the network allows Israelis to travel freely across the Separation Wall purportedly built to "protect" them from Palestinians. Meanwhile, Greater Israel Bus Connections shifts the focus to reflect the Israeli settler's experience of the West Bank (here named "Judea and Samaria") as an indivisible part of "Greater Israel," its Palestinian inhabitants reduced to anonymity in the "restricted" Area A enclaves.
Conspicuously absent from both maps is the Palestinian experience of public transportation within the West Bank, where hundreds of checkpoints and other obstacles subject Palestinians to delays, detours and arbitrary closures. The bus networks that previously connected Palestinian towns and cities to East Jerusalem are now all but severed.
1 comment for "Greater Israel Bus Connections & Across the Wall"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The author addresses his "buddies" to neutralize the effect of a paralyzing fear of arrest that may have made some of them too cautious to participate in demonstrations.... His goal is to demystify the experience of arrest as an antidote to fear.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Cities Media Roundup (August 2015)
- Israel’s Defeat on the Iran Deal
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde