From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The two maps presented here offer subtly different representations of the same set of Israeli public transport data, collected from bus.co.il. Both plot the same Israeli bus routes as they travel to, or via, the same illegal settlements in the Palestinian West Bank.
Across the Wall explicitly illustrates the bus routes in the light of the growing annexation of Area C of the West Bank, and how the network allows Israelis to travel freely across the Separation Wall purportedly built to "protect" them from Palestinians. Meanwhile, Greater Israel Bus Connections shifts the focus to reflect the Israeli settler's experience of the West Bank (here named "Judea and Samaria") as an indivisible part of "Greater Israel," its Palestinian inhabitants reduced to anonymity in the "restricted" Area A enclaves.
Conspicuously absent from both maps is the Palestinian experience of public transportation within the West Bank, where hundreds of checkpoints and other obstacles subject Palestinians to delays, detours and arbitrary closures. The bus networks that previously connected Palestinian towns and cities to East Jerusalem are now all but severed.
1 comment for "Greater Israel Bus Connections & Across the Wall"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The colonization of expressions of everyday, ordinary life, like outlawed gathering, demolition of gathering sites and raids on homes, is testimony to the fear of memory."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- انتصار البيروقراطية: عقد من إجهاض التغيير السياسي والاجتماعي في مصر
- Triumph of the Bureaucracy: A Decade of Aborted Social and Political Change in Egypt
- Maghreb Media Roundup (January 30)
- DARS Media Roundup (January 2015)
- Gender and the Production of Islamic Urban Space in Iran
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (29 January)
- The Guide for Using Life: A Graphic Novel and Exhibition
- Cities Media Roundup (January 2015)
- Deadline for Applications: M.A. in Middle East and Islamic Studies at George Mason University
- Revolution and Despair
- Reconsidering the Rif Revolt (1958-59)
- New Texts Out Now: Toby Matthiesen, The Other Saudis: Shiism, Dissent, and Sectarianism
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (January 27)
- Asli Bali on Iranian-US Nuclear Negotiations and What Republican Invite to Netanyahu Means
- Turkey Media Roundup (January 27)
- Palestinian Authority Security Cooperation and the Internationalization of Occupation: The Case of Ahmad Sa’adat
- Egypt Media Roundup (January 26)
- Composer Maurice Louca on Salute the Parrot
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 19-25)
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (November-December 2014)