From the Editors
The two maps presented here offer subtly different representations of the same set of Israeli public transport data, collected from bus.co.il. Both plot the same Israeli bus routes as they travel to, or via, the same illegal settlements in the Palestinian West Bank.
Across the Wall explicitly illustrates the bus routes in the light of the growing annexation of Area C of the West Bank, and how the network allows Israelis to travel freely across the Separation Wall purportedly built to "protect" them from Palestinians. Meanwhile, Greater Israel Bus Connections shifts the focus to reflect the Israeli settler's experience of the West Bank (here named "Judea and Samaria") as an indivisible part of "Greater Israel," its Palestinian inhabitants reduced to anonymity in the "restricted" Area A enclaves.
Conspicuously absent from both maps is the Palestinian experience of public transportation within the West Bank, where hundreds of checkpoints and other obstacles subject Palestinians to delays, detours and arbitrary closures. The bus networks that previously connected Palestinian towns and cities to East Jerusalem are now all but severed.
1 comment for "Greater Israel Bus Connections & Across the Wall"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
ألمانيا مستفيدة من صفقة الأسلحة هذه، لأن قطاع التسليح الألماني يحصل سنويا على عشرة بالمئة من الإنفاق العالمي للأسلحةclick | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي
- ما هي النكبة؟
- Academic Freedom and the Middle East: A Handbook for Teaching and Research
- Syria's Inglorious Basterd