From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
As part of the social protests sweeping the Middle East over the past year and half, a number of movements have arisen to tackle the issue of sexual harassment. One such movement is Yemen's Safe Streets campaign, founded in the fall of 2011. Safe Streets encourages both men and women to speak out about and against street harassment via the following media:
This electronic map, designed in cooperation with Tacticaltech (Tactical Technology Collective), provides victims with space to report harassment cases and indicate the location. The map allows Safe Streets to collect data and determine which streets are hot spots for sexual harassment. This information will serve as concrete data to be brought to the attention of policymakers and police officials.
From 25-27 October 2011, Safe Streets hosted an exhibition of work by Yemeni artists on the topic of street sexual harassment.
[Image by Blogs4Fat7i via ssg.kefaia.org]
Click here to view the complete gallery.
The following video, produced in December of 2011, was intended to engage public discussion on the issue of harassment and publicize the movement.
**Coming Soon - Book:
The campaign is currently working on publishing a book titled Happening Down the Streets, which will feature stories of women who have experienced harassment in Yemen.
To Report an Incident to Safe Streets:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a tweet with the hashtag/s #SafeStreet
- Fill out this form
Visit Safe Streets:
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"We make a mistake if we accept the view that states are fighting terrorism, since we have abundant evidence for accepting the idea of state terrorism, and what is most urgent is to track and expose how state terrorism operates under the rubric of “democracy.”"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 17-23)
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interview by France24 on Gaza Disengagement and Its Aftermath
- Protests in Beirut: Quick Background and Some Videos
- سوريا خارج الإطار
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (July-August 2015)