From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
As part of the social protests sweeping the Middle East over the past year and half, a number of movements have arisen to tackle the issue of sexual harassment. One such movement is Yemen's Safe Streets campaign, founded in the fall of 2011. Safe Streets encourages both men and women to speak out about and against street harassment via the following media:
This electronic map, designed in cooperation with Tacticaltech (Tactical Technology Collective), provides victims with space to report harassment cases and indicate the location. The map allows Safe Streets to collect data and determine which streets are hot spots for sexual harassment. This information will serve as concrete data to be brought to the attention of policymakers and police officials.
From 25-27 October 2011, Safe Streets hosted an exhibition of work by Yemeni artists on the topic of street sexual harassment.
[Image by Blogs4Fat7i via ssg.kefaia.org]
Click here to view the complete gallery.
The following video, produced in December of 2011, was intended to engage public discussion on the issue of harassment and publicize the movement.
**Coming Soon - Book:
The campaign is currently working on publishing a book titled Happening Down the Streets, which will feature stories of women who have experienced harassment in Yemen.
To Report an Incident to Safe Streets:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a tweet with the hashtag/s #SafeStreet
- Fill out this form
Visit Safe Streets:
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“There is no doubt that the new constitution represents a concession to the Moroccan protest movement ... Yet, this should not obscure the fact that the monarch strictly controlled and managed the whole reform process.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- The Precarity of Youth: Entrepreneurship is not the Solution
- Palestine Media Roundup (February 24)
- الغرب والسوريون: مبيعات الأسلحة الأمريكية والأوروبية للشرق الأوسط 2011- 2014
- Vote Yes on MESA Bylaw Amendment: Roundtable by Elyse Semerdjian, John Chalcraft, and Asli Bali
- Media on Media Roundup (February 21)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 21)
- دونالد ترامب والصراع في فلسطين
- خمس قصص قصيرة للكاتب الإسباني خوان خوسية مياس
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 19 فبراير
- Extensive Syria Media Roundup (Jan 8 - Feb 19, 2017)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 20)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 13-19)
- Power, Sect, and State in Syria
- Maghreb Media Roundup (February 19)
- وطنُ الغريب جبينُهُ
- Perspectives on the Immigration Ban: A Town Hall with GMU Faculty
- Palestine Media Roundup (18 February)
- اليأس كسلاح للاستبداد