From the Editors
As part of the social protests sweeping the Middle East over the past year and half, a number of movements have arisen to tackle the issue of sexual harassment. One such movement is Yemen's Safe Streets campaign, founded in the fall of 2011. Safe Streets encourages both men and women to speak out about and against street harassment via the following media:
This electronic map, designed in cooperation with Tacticaltech (Tactical Technology Collective), provides victims with space to report harassment cases and indicate the location. The map allows Safe Streets to collect data and determine which streets are hot spots for sexual harassment. This information will serve as concrete data to be brought to the attention of policymakers and police officials.
From 25-27 October 2011, Safe Streets hosted an exhibition of work by Yemeni artists on the topic of street sexual harassment.
[Image by Blogs4Fat7i via ssg.kefaia.org]
Click here to view the complete gallery.
The following video, produced in December of 2011, was intended to engage public discussion on the issue of harassment and publicize the movement.
**Coming Soon - Book:
The campaign is currently working on publishing a book titled Happening Down the Streets, which will feature stories of women who have experienced harassment in Yemen.
To Report an Incident to Safe Streets:
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Send a tweet with the hashtag/s #SafeStreet
- Fill out this form
Visit Safe Streets:
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 12)
- The Question of Judeo/Arabic(s): Itineraries of Belonging [Lecture at GMU]
- Syria Media Roundup (September 13)
- Announcing the New Issue of Middle East Report -- Fuel and Water: The Coming Crises
- The University of Illinois Board of Trustees Votes against Reinstating Professor Salaita
- Behind the Bahraini Revolution: An Interview with Maryam Al-Khawaja
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Dozens to Bike from Philadelphia to Washington, DC to Raise Funds for Medical Relief for Gaza’s Children http://t.co/OyXwYbEDG5
12 hours ago
NYC Event -- The War on Gaza: Military Strategy and Historical Horizons (19 September, Columbia University) http://t.co/rvqp9eR10Q
13 hours ago
فواز طرابلسي: حروب الردة أو غتيال المستقبل http://t.co/PqaUQW5Hrc
yesterday at 7:16 AM
LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discusion (18 September 2014, UCLA) http://t.co/jPt6USfWSE
yesterday at 7:15 AM
Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine's Tragic Collaborators http://t.co/UNSvNBsD8K
yesterday at 4:57 AM