From the Editors
As part of the social protests sweeping the Middle East over the past year and half, a number of movements have arisen to tackle the issue of sexual harassment. One such movement is Yemen's Safe Streets campaign, founded in the fall of 2011. Safe Streets encourages both men and women to speak out about and against street harassment via the following media:
This electronic map, designed in cooperation with Tacticaltech (Tactical Technology Collective), provides victims with space to report harassment cases and indicate the location. The map allows Safe Streets to collect data and determine which streets are hot spots for sexual harassment. This information will serve as concrete data to be brought to the attention of policymakers and police officials.
From 25-27 October 2011, Safe Streets hosted an exhibition of work by Yemeni artists on the topic of street sexual harassment.
[Image by Blogs4Fat7i via ssg.kefaia.org]
Click here to view the complete gallery.
The following video, produced in December of 2011, was intended to engage public discussion on the issue of harassment and publicize the movement.
**Coming Soon - Book:
The campaign is currently working on publishing a book titled Happening Down the Streets, which will feature stories of women who have experienced harassment in Yemen.
To Report an Incident to Safe Streets:
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Send a tweet with the hashtag/s #SafeStreet
- Fill out this form
Visit Safe Streets:
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
About Human Breakage and Fragility http://t.co/qgM0k5IxqL
16 hours ago
Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 11) http://t.co/YxTvlZZTed
21 hours ago
Quantum of Surveillance: Familiar Actors and Possible False Flags in Syrian Malware Campaigns http://t.co/3jRYm7ir9Y
21 hours ago
American Prospect Forum: Boycott, Divestment, Debate http://t.co/kwMuxUAiv6
21 hours ago
Egypt Media Roundup (March 10) http://t.co/BNSwR2VmtQ
yesterday at 6:53 PM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Panel Discussion: “Resistance Everywhere”: The Gezi Protests and Dissident Visions of Turkey (City University of New York, 14 March)
- About Human Breakage and Fragility
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 11)
- مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: فضاء عام أم خاص؟
- MEETING POINTS 7: Ten Thousand Wiles and a Hundred Thousand Tricks
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 3-9)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 10)
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 10)
- في نقد الثورة 1/2
- In Conversation with Artist Nadia Ayari
- In Turkey, Some Labels Keep on Giving
- Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss Is Just a Kiss
- DARS Media Roundup (March 8)
- Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadinlarin Bilme Bicimleri
- We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- لماذا لم يثر الصعيد؟ محاولة أولية للفهم ودعوة للنقاش
- عن السيد الجديد والمرأة المصرية
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6)
- قصائد المهمّشين
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space