From the Editors
[The following photos were posted by Woman from Yemen on 24 July 2012.]
Earlier this month I had a brief visit in the warn torn Southern province of Abyan. Like any war, the impact on civilians and residents is often ignored.
The war in Abyan has killed innocent civilians and displaced hundreds. Schools have been closed, and the main hospital was bombed. Many have lost family members, and many others are wounded. Their homes have been destroyed, and basic necessities are non-existant.
Residential buildings, hospitals, and schools were hit by air strikes.
With no compensation, and no way to seek justice, residents resent the government that has failed to protect them and instead allowed air strikes to kill indiscriminately.
One thing is certian, more research and documentation regarding what is really happening on the ground.
The photos here are of residential and commercial buildings that were impacted by the war.
These photos were taken in the city of Zinjibar on July 1 & 2, 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"The revolution hasn’t ended [...] Morsi and the MBs have opened the pandora’s box, and the coming days will only exacerbate their contradictions. And it’s a process [from which] the left cannot be separate [...]"click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Reports Roundup (May 25)
- يافا والموسيقى و"فوائد" النكبة
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 May)
- Islamists and Transitional Justice
- Maghreb Media Roundup (May 24)
- أوهام ليبرالية
- Tadween Roundup: News and Analysis from the Publishing/Academic World
- Syria Media Roundup (May 23)
- Asfari Institute Inaugural Conference: New Spaces of Civil Society Activism in the Arab World (Beirut, 23-24 May)
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)