From the Editors
[The following photos were posted by Woman from Yemen on 24 July 2012.]
Earlier this month I had a brief visit in the warn torn Southern province of Abyan. Like any war, the impact on civilians and residents is often ignored.
The war in Abyan has killed innocent civilians and displaced hundreds. Schools have been closed, and the main hospital was bombed. Many have lost family members, and many others are wounded. Their homes have been destroyed, and basic necessities are non-existant.
Residential buildings, hospitals, and schools were hit by air strikes.
With no compensation, and no way to seek justice, residents resent the government that has failed to protect them and instead allowed air strikes to kill indiscriminately.
One thing is certian, more research and documentation regarding what is really happening on the ground.
The photos here are of residential and commercial buildings that were impacted by the war.
These photos were taken in the city of Zinjibar on July 1 & 2, 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Turkey’s Kurdish question is becoming inextricably linked to dynamics on the other side of an increasingly blurred border, where more autonomy for the Syrian Kurds would spur Turkey’s own twenty million Kurds to up the ante in the negotiations."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs
- After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability
- Cities Media Roundup (August 1-30)
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 26)
- الخطر السياسي القادم ما بعد العدوان على غزة
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد شكري
- Syria Media Roundup (August 15)
- Antisemitism and Salaita
- Israel's "Operation Status Quo": A Preliminary Assessment
- Who Are the Insurgents and Counterinsurgents?
- Support for Steven Salaita and the UIUC Boycott Continues to Grow
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 18-24)
- لا تقصص رؤياك
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs http://t.co/AG4M7aZFAA
11 hours ago
After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability http://t.co/eJrEl8kG7X
12 hours ago
Useful breakdown of circular logic that can get person on US watchlist & consequences of. http://t.co/rIOht82wdm via @arjunsethi81 @guardian
12 hours ago
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: Overheard guards saying they are going to deport me. They keep saying I am not a citizen, but won't show me any docume…
yesterday at 8:17 PM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: I'm denied entry. I'm starting a water-only hunger strike. I won't voluntarily leave. My only demand is to be let into…
yesterday at 8:16 PM