From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Regional and International Relations
The Popular Front Against Iran Fouad Ajami elaborates on the Egyptian-Saudi axis under the rule of Egypt's new president, Mohamed Morsi, in Tablet.
Reports and Opinions
Mecca for the rich: Islam's holiest site 'turning into Vegas' Jerome Taylor writes on the destruction of historic sites and the construction of the five-star hotels and malls in Mecca, in The Independent.
Death in clash after Saudi rights protest A news report on the clashes between protesters and the government, on Al-Jazeera English.
Drone warfare: a new generation of deadly unmanned weapons Rory Carroll analyzes the implication of the use of drones in Afghanistan, Yemen, and other countries, in The Guardian.
Ahmadinejad 'invited' to Mecca summit A news report on King Abdulla's invitation for the Iranian president to attend the solidarity summit, on Al-Jazeera English.
Saudi Arabia's judoka strikes blow for women's rights at Olympics Esther Addley writes on Wojdan Shaherkani, the first Saudi woman to compete at the Olympic Games.
Repression in Bahrain
Report Documents Bahrain's Use of Tear Gas as a Potentially Lethal Weapon A report issued by Physicians for Human Rights describing the long-term harmful effects of gas tear.
Bahrain tear gassing amounts to torture, rights group says An article on the report issued by Physicians for Human Rights, in The Los Angeles Times.
Crisis in Yemen
Deadly suicide attack hits Yemen's south A news report on the suicide attack in Abyan province, on Al-Jazeera English.
Yemen unveils plan to vaccinate all children against rotavirus Mark Tran reports on the new plan to immunize newborn children against a severe form of diarrhea, in The Guardian.
Citizenship and Statelessness
The Bedoon Talented Tenth Mona Kareem writes on the treatment meted out to the Kuwaiti Bedoon.
Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International
Testimony of Tom Malinowski before the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission on the Implementation of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry Report Tom Malinowski offers an account of the Bahraini government's harassment of the protestors and of the US-Bahraini ties.
UAE: US, UK Should Criticize Dissident Arrests A statement issued by Human Rights Watch calling upon the American and British governments to demand the immediate and unconditional release of fifty detainees.
Letter to Secretary Clinton on Human Rights Violations in the UAE A letter signed by human rights activists urging the US government to raise the harassments of Emirati activists with the UAE authorities.
Letter to UK Foreign Secretary Hague on Human Rights Violations in the UAE The same letter sent to the UK Foreign Secretary.
UAE must end crackdown on dissent A statement issued by Amnesty International condemning the treatment of peaceful protestors in the Gulf state.
Breaking the Arab News Sultan Al Qassemi analyzes the coverage of the uprisings in Egypt and Syria on Al-Jazeera and Al Arabiya, in Foreign Policy.
Ramadan TV: Laughing at Yemenis' Expense Jamal Jubran argues that Ramadan programs fail to address people's daily struggles and concerns, in Al-Akhbar English.
السعودية ومثلث الثورات
Dr. Madawi al-Rasheed analyzes Saudi Arabia's involvement in the revolutions in Bahrain, Yemen and Syria.
الرياض لبيروت: معاً ضد حزب الله
Nasser Sharara elaborates on the implicit purpose of the Saudi invitation of Lebanon and other countries (including the United States) to exchange intelligence information.
الثورة في البحرين.. من كوكب آخر
Youssef Maki writes on the little media coverage of the revolution in Bahrain has received.
قمع مسكوت عليه
Fahmi Huwaidi reflects on the suffering of detainees in Saudi Arabia.
الشرطة الدينية السعودية.. هل الحل في حلها؟
Ali Ahmed Shaban examines the history and role of the religious police in Saudi Arabia.
نجاد وقمة مكة: دعوة باردة ومفاجآت متوقعة
An editorial on King Abdulla's cold invitation for the Iranian president to attend the solidarity summit.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"the PA has become a lucrative industry and a comfortable hub for the political-economic elite and the capitalist class and their cronies, increasingly detached from the circumstances of the population which is living under a brutal military-settler regime."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (26 April)
- `Abd al-Rahman al-Abnudi (1938-2015)
- Let Us Make a New Beginning: Speech for the Armenian Genocide Centennial Commemoration in Istanbul
- Goodbye, Antoura
- Creating Change through Theater: The Freedom Theater in Jenin: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Nabil Al Raee and Alia Al Rosan
- On Palestinian Cinema: The State of Israel vs. Suha Arraf
- Turkiyeli Ermeniler’den Cagri: Bak Kardesim
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (March-April 2015)
- From Khaled Kaddal's Trapped Sounds
- كلام مجعلص في الفن: حوش المدرسة وسحابة البضان. حوار أنديل مع عادل اسكندر
- New Texts Out Now: Vijay Prashad, Letters to Palestine: Writers Respond to War and Occupation
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 21)
- Too Much Memory? Remembering and Forgetting at the Crossroads of the Centenary of the Armenian Genocide
- Water Management in Jordan in Response to the Syrian Crisis: Between Neoliberal Pressures and Social Tensions
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 21)
- Syria Media Roundup (April 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 13-19)
- Sharjah Biennial 12: Nikhil Chopra's Use like Water
- Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat's Egypt: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Abdullah Al-Arian and Anthony Alessandrini
- Black Feminism Is: Reflections on the Black Feminist Think Tank Symposium