From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Reports and Opinions
Embracing Crisis in the Gulf Toby Jones analyzes the influence of the Arab uprisings on the Gulf states and the US position towards them, in Middle East Research and Information Project.
Saudi Arabia opposes .gay internet domain name A news report on Saudi Arabia's opposition of the internet address ending .gay on the ground that it is offensive to some societies.
Exile is Not the Answer to Statelessness! Mona Kareem maintains that exile has made the Emirati activist who has been deported to Thailand, Ahmed Abdul-Khaleq, more outspoken.
Repression in Bahrain
Bahraini activist jailed for three years A news report on the most recent prison sentence of Nabeel Rajab, in Al-Jazeera English.
Teenage boy killed in clash with police in Bahrain A news report on the death of a sixteen-year old youth by the police in Bahrain, on BBC.
Human Rights Watch & Amnesty International
UAE: Stop Harassing Detainees' Lawyers A statement by HRW condemning the crackdown on the lawyers of activists in the Gulf state.
Bahrain: Free Rights Activist Jailed for 'Illegal Gatherings' A statement by HRW calling for the immediate release of Nabeel Rajab.
'Dark day for justice' in Bahrain as activist receives three-year prison sentence A statement by AI condemning Nabeel Rajab's sentence.
Yemen: Two years on, journalist still behind bars after alleging US cluster bomb use A press release by AI calling upon the Yemeni government to release Abdul Ilah Haydar Shayi'.
Yemen TV: Bringing Back History Jamal Jubran argues that the documentary Leaders Who Shaped Yemen's History "showcases Yemeni figures that made significant contributions to their country's history, figures whose pictures, until shortly before the youth revolution, Yemenis were afraid to display," in Al-Akhbar English.
Ramadan TV Gently Pushes Saudi Boundaries Alessandra Stanley reflects on the implication of a episode in the Saudi program "Hush Hush," which deals with the issue of women's rights to drive, in The New York Times.
خطة بندر-بتريوس: دفغ "الإسلاميين" إلى سوريا
Fouad Ibrahim writes on the Bandar-Petraeus approach to the Syrian crisis.
قمة مكة وتنافس المرجعيات الاسلامية
An editorial on the Islamic Summit in Mecca and the competitions among different religious clerics.
الخواجة ورجب وازداوجية المعايير الحقوقية
Iman Shams al-Din questions human rights organizations' timid positions towards Nabeel Rajab and Abdulhadi al-Khawaja.
حكاية ١٤ اغسطس في البحرين
Youssef Maki reflects on the forty-one anniversary of Bahrain's independence.
حسام الحداد، خالد سعيد البحرين
Anwar Rashid reflects on the death of the Bahraini activist, Hussam Haddad.
الناشط النمر في حوار صحفي: المملكة بحاجة ماسة لإصلاحات جذرية
An interview with the Saudi activist, Mohamed Baqir al-Nimr.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- أوهام ليبرالية
- Tadween Roundup: News and Analysis from the Publishing/Academic World
- Syria Media Roundup (May 23)
- Asfari Institute Inaugural Conference: New Spaces of Civil Society Activism in the Arab World (Beirut, 23-24 May)
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family