From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Iran was host to the 16th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) on 26-31 August 2012. In order to hold this gathering, the Iranian government spent a reported sum of six hundred million dollars. Tehran, a mega city of twelve million, was practically shut down for five days; a massive force of 110,000 people took over the security of the conference; 360 checkpoints were established in the city; and residents were encouraged to leave the city.
The state propaganda machine went into full swing to provide its narrative of this conference. As part of the publicity stunt, the vehicles belonging to Iranian nuclear scientists who were assassinated were put up on pedestals outside the conference venue with posters of their children. An article in British Guardian had this to say about the conference “To watch Iranian state television, you'd think the country was hosting the Olympics.“
Mansour Farhang served as revolutionary Iran's first ambassador to the United Nations. He is co-author of U.S. Press and Iran: Foreign Policy and the Journalism of Deference and other works on the U.S. foreign policy and U.S.-Iranian relations.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The video targets Israel's Citizenship Law, which prohibits Palestinian spouses (read: West Bank and Gaza) of Israeli citizens from gaining residency or citizenship in Israel - currently more than 30,000 people"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- قصائد للشاعر أمبرتو سابا، المجلد الاول
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (March 6 - March 19)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 23)
- واقع الزراعة في فلسطين: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع فؤاد أبو سيف
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey