From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Iran was host to the 16th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) on 26-31 August 2012. In order to hold this gathering, the Iranian government spent a reported sum of six hundred million dollars. Tehran, a mega city of twelve million, was practically shut down for five days; a massive force of 110,000 people took over the security of the conference; 360 checkpoints were established in the city; and residents were encouraged to leave the city.
The state propaganda machine went into full swing to provide its narrative of this conference. As part of the publicity stunt, the vehicles belonging to Iranian nuclear scientists who were assassinated were put up on pedestals outside the conference venue with posters of their children. An article in British Guardian had this to say about the conference “To watch Iranian state television, you'd think the country was hosting the Olympics.“
Mansour Farhang served as revolutionary Iran's first ambassador to the United Nations. He is co-author of U.S. Press and Iran: Foreign Policy and the Journalism of Deference and other works on the U.S. foreign policy and U.S.-Iranian relations.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
خالد المعالي: ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص http://t.co/Pei5CgRhjb
11 hours ago
صلاح فائق: عن سركون بولص في ذكراه http://t.co/hCdxEiudwr
11 hours ago
Egypt Media Roundup (October 20) http://t.co/trI75cN6p3
yesterday at 11:01 AM
RT @CabreraAngel: The @NYTimes covers @jadaliyya "an inside-out perspective of the Middle East" led by Mason Prof. Bassam Haddad http://t.c…
yesterday at 10:50 AM
LA Event: Spotlight on Egypt (23 October 2014) http://t.co/2r1x5vB2Ub
yesterday at 6:21 AM