From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The 11 September attack on Benghazi's consulate resulted in the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens, three other US officials, and ten Libyan security officials. Initial accounts suggested that spontaneous protests against Terry Jones' "anti-Islam" video initiated the violence, but succeeding reports indicate the demonstration was used as a front for a premeditated, professional assault. Several scenarios, ranging from disgruntled extremist Salafists to fifth column elements remain plausible. One probability also involves al-Qaeda elements; on 10 September, a video of Ayman al-Zawahiri surfaced, calling for Libyans to avenge the death of their compatriot Abu Yah7a al Libi, Al Qaeda's former "number two," who was killed in a June drone strike in Pakistan.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“It was a blissfully naïve assumption that a civilian prime minister could battle a powerful and deeply embedded military regime—the very regime that appointed him—but I wanted to believe in him.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- A Muslim Future to Come?
- Thanksgiving: A Jadaliyya Reading List
- Iraqi Odyssey in NYC
- دمشق 2013
- الهوامش التي نعيش فيها
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 24)
- A Moveable Feast? Reflections on the French Coverage of the Paris Attacks
- Palestine Media Roundup (November 19 - 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 16-22)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 26)
- The Diaspora, Debt, and Dollarization: Unraveling Lebanon’s Resilience to a Sovereign Debt Crisis
- في العلاقة الشائكة بين التاريخ والتطرّف
- New Texts Out Now: Safinaz El Tarouty, Businessmen, Clientelism, and Authoritarianism in Egypt
- Anthropologists Speak Out for Justice in Palestine
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.3 is Live! Celebrating Our One-Year Anniversary
- يكفيني أن ألمس ورقة خضراء حتى أرى
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 23)
- عصفورية إلى الأبد
- Affirming the Rights of Students to Organize, Protest, and Resist (City University of New York)
- Terror Everywhere, Humanity Nowhere