From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Repression in Bahrain
To Ban or Not to Ban ... Al-Wifaq A blog entry on the Bahraini government's decision on the future of al-Wifaq, on Religion and Politics in Bahrain.
Crisis in Yemen
Yemen's Numan: Power Must Return to the Popular Will Jomana Farhat interviews Yasin Numan, the Secretary General of the Yemeni Socialist Party, who survived an assassination attempt a few days ago, on Al-Akhbar English.
Yemen Says Deployment of US Marines Is Temporary A news report on the Yemeni government's justification for the deployment of US marines, on Reuters.
Arrival of US Marines Stirs up Yemen Politics Jane Ferguson analyzes the repercussion of the deployment of US Marines in Yemen, on Al-Jazeera English.
Yemen Protesters Storm US Embassy - As It Happened Matthew Weaver, Brian Whitaker and Tom McCarthy reports on the protests against the anti-Muslim film in Yemen, in The Guardian.
Reports and Opinions
Suspect Held over Killing of Saudi Policeman A news report on the arrest of a man in Qatif suspected of shooting a policeman, on Gulfnews.
Kuwait- Women in Justice, Public Prosecution A news report on the reactions to the Supreme Judicial Council's decision to hire women in judicial posts.
The YouTube Salvation Mona Kareem analyzes reactions to a YouTube video showing an attack on young actors by an unknown man, on Al-Akhbar English.
Economy & Markets
Qatar in Egypt: Buying Foreign Policy Mohamed al-Khouli analyzes the political aspect of Qatar's plan to invest eighteen billion dollars in Egypt.
Saudi Shuts 100 Lingerie Shops for Hiring Men A news report on the Saudi authorities' decision to close lingerie shops that hire salesmen.
Solar Arabia Summit '12 Kicks off as Interest in Renewable Energy Swells A news report on the Saudi authorities' investment in renewable energy, in Saudi Gazette.
Saudi Arabia Not at Risk of Being Oil Importer, Analyst Says Wael Mahdi writes on the rebuttal of the recent report by Citigroup Inc. that Saudi Arabia will be an importer of oil by 2030.
Sky News Arabia is a Break from Stations with Slanted Coverage Saeed Saeed argues that this new channel "ushers a hitherto rare kind of owner into the Arabic media landscape: a commercial enterprise in territory that is largely, although not wholly, the domain of national governments and political parties," in The National.
Oman Sentenced Blogger in Widening Media Crackdown A news report on the one-year imprisonment of an Omani journalist and blogger, in The Washington Post.
Twitter Entry Brings Imprisonment and Fine Hasan Al Naser writes on the ruling against a young man from Qatif for defamation on Twitter, in Saudi Gazette.
تصريح من المنسق العام للتيار التقدمي الكويتي حول تعيين نساء وكيلات نيابة تمهيدا لدخولهن سلك القضاء
A statment by Dhari al-Rajeeb, head of the Kuwaiti Progressive Current, on the decision to employ women in some judicial posts.
لافتات في قلب الرياض ضد الاعتقال السياسي
A report on the spread of banners against political arrest in Riyadh.
الأزمة السياسية في البحرين والأفق المسدود
Youssef Maki examines the Bahraini political crisis and the absence of any exit.
السيد النمر يدعو الحكومات الإسلامية لاستدعاء سفراءها في واشنطن
A news report on Said Hasan Nimr's call upon the Muslim governments to recall their ambassadors to the United States in response to the anti-Muslim film.
العدالة يدعو السعودية لإطلاق الأطفال ضحايا حرية الرأي والتعبير
The Adala Center for Human Rights calls on the Saudi authorities to immediately release the children who have been arrested during protests in Qatif last year.
تحالف القبيلة والدين والنفط في السعودية
Ja'afar Mohamed al-Shayib analyzes the alliance between tribes, religion and oil in Saudi Arabia.
المجتمع السعودي... والصراعات الفكرية
Hasan bin Salem writes on the Saudi society and intellectual conflicts.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked http://t.co/25osP0AzAk
yesterday at 10:05 PM
Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video) http://t.co/WsmfqJcSKm
yesterday at 2:02 PM
No Ceasefire without Justice for Gaza http://t.co/ivVPmrYo29
yesterday at 12:08 PM
[now, even the BBC!] When BBC Calls, Don't Answer: http://t.co/XGcT0Sv5l6 via @rfalk13
yesterday at 11:25 AM
Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children? http://t.co/tSr67a2qPx
yesterday at 9:39 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children?
- Press Release: From Tel Aviv to Toronto, Los Angeles to London, Chicago to San Francisco, Jews Say No to Israeli Genocide
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal