From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Sinan Antoon, co-founder and co-editor of Jadaliyya, received the 2012 National Translation Award for In the Presence of Absence (Archipelago Books, 2011), his translation of Fi Hadrat al-Ghiyab (2006), the last prose book by the late Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish (1941-2008). The $5,000 prize is given annually to a translator whose work, by virtue of its quality and significance, has made the most valuable contribution to literary translation in the U.S and Canada in the preceding calendar year.
The vice-president of the American Literary Translators Association (ALTA), Professor Elizabeth Lowe, awarded the prize at the annual conference held in Rochester, New York, this past week. Antoon’s translation was unanimously chosen by the judges from a pool of 119 books whittled down to seven books after two rounds. The judges praised the lyricism of the text and the preface and critical apparatus accompanying it and illuminating historical, political and cultural allusions and information for the benefit of the readers.
Antoon’s translation was a runner-up for the Pen Translation Prize this year.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
SUBSCRIBE TO ARAB STUDIES JOURNAL
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Iran has recently been labeled the nose job capital of the world… [for religious leaders] it is the responsibility-freedom of the follower who wants to subject his or her nose to cosmetic surgery to navigate possible meanings of “rational justification,” “loss,” or “danger”."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Vote Yes on MESA Bylaw Amendment: Roundtable by Elyse Semerdjian, John Chalcraft, and Asli Bali
- Media on Media Roundup (February 21)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 21)
- دونالد ترامب والصراع في فلسطين
- خمس قصص قصيرة للكاتب الإسباني خوان خوسية مياس
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 19 فبراير
- Extensive Syria Media Roundup (Jan 8 - Feb 19, 2017)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 20)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 13-19)
- Power, Sect, and State in Syria
- Maghreb Media Roundup (February 19)
- وطنُ الغريب جبينُهُ
- Perspectives on the Immigration Ban: A Town Hall with GMU Faculty
- Palestine Media Roundup (18 February)
- اليأس كسلاح للاستبداد
- Remembering Husayn Muruwwah, the ‘Red Mujtahid’
- Six Years: Roundtable on Arab Uprisings
- The ‘Arab Spring’ Never Happened (in English)
- Why Space Matters in the Arab Uprisings (and Beyond)