From the Editors
Sinan Antoon, co-founder and co-editor of Jadaliyya, received the 2012 National Translation Award for In the Presence of Absence (Archipelago Books, 2011), his translation of Fi Hadrat al-Ghiyab (2006), the last prose book by the late Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish (1941-2008). The $5,000 prize is given annually to a translator whose work, by virtue of its quality and significance, has made the most valuable contribution to literary translation in the U.S and Canada in the preceding calendar year.
The vice-president of the American Literary Translators Association (ALTA), Professor Elizabeth Lowe, awarded the prize at the annual conference held in Rochester, New York, this past week. Antoon’s translation was unanimously chosen by the judges from a pool of 119 books whittled down to seven books after two rounds. The judges praised the lyricism of the text and the preface and critical apparatus accompanying it and illuminating historical, political and cultural allusions and information for the benefit of the readers.
Antoon’s translation was a runner-up for the Pen Translation Prize this year.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Security coordination aims to crush any form of resistance, armed or peaceful. The PA elite is highly dependent on security apparatuses to ensure their safety, protect their wealth, and suppress political opposition."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Studio Visit with Doa Aly
- An Excerpt from Sinan Antoon's "Ave Maria"
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
- The Wonder Box
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Studio Visit with Doa Aly http://t.co/yibmG5EPvi
15 hours ago
BBC News - Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' http://t.co/64At4wsbe9
18 hours ago
BBC News - Gaza crisis: Israel kills three top Hamas commanders http://t.co/yO9tW6AABS
yesterday at 7:05 AM
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
on Wednesday 20 August at 10:45 AM
@sakkeh3arja Not at all. Yourself and Pulse, as well as others, will be invited to join an e-roundtable to address this properly.
on Wednesday 20 August at 10:43 AM