From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Sinan Antoon, co-founder and co-editor of Jadaliyya, received the 2012 National Translation Award for In the Presence of Absence (Archipelago Books, 2011), his translation of Fi Hadrat al-Ghiyab (2006), the last prose book by the late Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish (1941-2008). The $5,000 prize is given annually to a translator whose work, by virtue of its quality and significance, has made the most valuable contribution to literary translation in the U.S and Canada in the preceding calendar year.
The vice-president of the American Literary Translators Association (ALTA), Professor Elizabeth Lowe, awarded the prize at the annual conference held in Rochester, New York, this past week. Antoon’s translation was unanimously chosen by the judges from a pool of 119 books whittled down to seven books after two rounds. The judges praised the lyricism of the text and the preface and critical apparatus accompanying it and illuminating historical, political and cultural allusions and information for the benefit of the readers.
Antoon’s translation was a runner-up for the Pen Translation Prize this year.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Any movement that wishes to resist capitalist exploitation and domination needs to understand the constant changing nature of capitalist organization and power. New forms of domination and exploitation require new techniques and strategies of resistance."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Letter to Amcha Initiative Regarding Its Report on UCLA Center for Near Eastern Studies http://t.co/eOq5sw3gzY
13 hours ago
Erdoğan, Türk milliyetçiliği kartına oynuyor http://t.co/wCzR7BkXd6
15 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam http://t.co/AmeAB1qa56
yesterday at 8:30 PM
On the BDS Blacklist http://t.co/p6EKLEEBXg
yesterday at 1:23 PM
Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven... http://t.co/GgjAHG3xzz
yesterday at 1:20 PM