From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Regional and International Relations
Citing US Fears, Arab Allies Limit Syrian Rebel Aid Robert Worth argues that Saudi Arabia and Qatar have not provided the Syrian rebels with heavy weapons because of discouragement from the United States, in The New York Times.
Reports and Opinions
Kuwaiti Emir Dissolves Parliament A news report on Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah's decision to dissolve the 2009 parliament in a bid to end crisis, on Al-Jazeera English.
Saudis Protest after Chicken Prices Soar Andrew Liddle reports on the Twitter movement, "Let it Rot," that urges Saudis to stop buying chicken in protest at the high prices, in The Independent.
Whose Refugees Matter More? Mona Kareem reflects on the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees' position on the question of refugees and the stateless in the Gulf States, in al-Akhbar English.
Crisis in Yemen
Yemen "Foils al-Qaeda Plan to Bomb Air Base" A news report on a bomb discovered in al-Anad air base, which is used by US troops to train local forces, on Al-Jazeera English.
Yemen: Determined to Self-Determine Jomana Farhat analyzes the situation in Yemen in light of the upcoming National Dialogue conference and the tensions between the Islamist Islah party and the Houthi movement, in Al-Akhbar English.
Repression in Bahrain
Protesters Clash with Police in Bahrain A news report on the protests that erupted in Manama after a memorial held for a man who died in jail, on Al-Jazeera English.
Economy and Markets
Qatar Telecom Holds 92% of Kuwait Company Shereen El Gazzar and Nikhil Lohade report on Qatar's acquisition of 199.65 million shares in Qatar Telecom, in The Wall Street Journal.
حرب صعدة السابعة... في صنعاء
Mona Safwan argues the expected seventh war of Saada will take place in Saana.
البحرين: إطلاق زينب الخواجة وإحالة ١٥ متظاهراً على الجنائية
A news report on the lease of Zainab al-Khawaja.
اشتباكات جديدة بين المتظاهرين والشرطة
A news report on the clashes between protesters and the police in Bahrain.
السعودية وقطر.. علام تختلفان؟
Abd-Ilah Belqazeez analyzes the disagreements between Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
حرب الذاكرة.. في السعودية
Fouad Ibrahim writes on the question of official memory in Saudi Arabia.
اليمن: التاريخ يعيد نفسه؟
Nahla al-Shahal reflects on the southern separatist movement in Yemen.
الكويت: الأمير يحل البرلمان
Fadi al-Zain analyzes Kuwaiti emir's decision to dissolve the 2009 parliament.
مرج البحرين يلتقيان
Subhi Haddidi argues that the protests in Bahrain have been ignored in the media to a great comparison, and compares the coverage of these protests to those in Syria.
ثورة البحرين تحت المجهر الدولي؟!
Mohammed Sadiq al-Hassani urges not to forget the protests and political prisoners in Bahrain.
قطر تحث المعارضة السورية الا تقتل المحتجزين الإيرانيين
A news report on Qatar's call upon the Syrian opposition not to execute the forty-eight Iranian prisoners arrested in Damascus two months ago.
ناشط سعودي محتجز يبدأ إضرابا عن الطعام
A news report on Issa Al Marzouq al-Nakheifi beginning a hunger strike in protest at his arrest with no charges.
اليمن: صالح يتعرض لعملية نصب تصل إلى ثلاثة مليار دولار وهادي يسارع في تطوير شخصيته وعملية التواصل مع شعبه
Khalid al-Hamadi reports on Yemeni former president's loss of three billion dollars in a scheme and on the current president's use of social media to communicate with the Yemeni people.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
“While proposed reforms may indeed postpone the Spring of Anger a little, the risk of revolution is definitely increasing with the dusk of the oil age.”click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked http://t.co/25osP0AzAk
yesterday at 10:05 PM
Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video) http://t.co/WsmfqJcSKm
yesterday at 2:02 PM
No Ceasefire without Justice for Gaza http://t.co/ivVPmrYo29
yesterday at 12:08 PM
[now, even the BBC!] When BBC Calls, Don't Answer: http://t.co/XGcT0Sv5l6 via @rfalk13
yesterday at 11:25 AM
Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children? http://t.co/tSr67a2qPx
yesterday at 9:39 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children?
- Press Release: From Tel Aviv to Toronto, Los Angeles to London, Chicago to San Francisco, Jews Say No to Israeli Genocide
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal