From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Jadaliyya is hereby presenting the first installment in a interactive (see below) series called "A Portrait of a Revolutionary," featuring interviews with an Egyptian journalist and activist who was at the forefront of the Egyptian protest movement. Hossam's vantage point is quite unique, and his broad knowledge of the Egyptian political landscape as well as history positions him to provide an unparalleled account of the the context and developments that have led to the resignation of former Egyptian President, Husni Mubarak, and the aftermath.
Below is the second part of the interview. I opted for presenting it first, however, because it is in English (the first (on the role of labor/unions) and third (on the role of elites) parts are to be posted soon). Among other issues, it deals with the role of the Egyptian Labor Unions in tipping the scale during the last days before Mubrak's resignation. It is in Arabic).
This interview deals with the role of the army (then and now) in a quite candid and courageous manner that demystifies the halo that was created around that institution. The details that are brought to bear in the interview, and he analytical context in which they are lodged, are quite valuable for any observer/researcher.
I would like to make this a somewhat interactive interview by asking readers to pose their own questions to Hossam after watching the interview. I will relay the most productive questions, so please feel free to post your (clear/concise) questions under the comments, below).
The third part will be about the role and prospects of the political and economic elite, before, during and after the revolution.
Hossam El-Hamalawy is an Egyptian journalist and activist who maintains the popular site www.arabawy.org
Click here for Part 1: The Role of Labor/Unions in the Egyptian Revolution
Click here for Part 3: The Egyptian Elite and the Egyptian Revolution
10 comments for " A Portrait of a Revolutionary: Hossam El-Hamalawy on the Role of the Egyptian Army (Part 2)"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"While BDS feeds off of and evolves with external support, it must drive from Palestinian activism itself, from a Palestinian constituency... Advancing BDS with political consciousness and a moral compass is a struggle in need of regular evaluation and constructive criticism."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
- Hassan Khan in Conversation with Mohamed Abdelkarim
- In Memory of Suphi Nejat Agirnasli
- إشكالية المجتمع المدني في المغرب
- Press Release: Saudi Death Sentence against Shia Leader Is Politically Motivated
- الانحناء على جثة عمّان
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Charif, Mohamad Hafeda, and Joumana al Jabri, Creative Refuge
- Panel Event: After Gezi, After the Elections, After ISIS: Politics in Turkey Now (CUNY Graduate Center, 20 October 2014)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Check out 'StatusHour' live on Ustream! http://t.co/6NtRo46NzG
12 hours ago
Tune in now! Live-stream of panel on "Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC... http://t.co/UPUnn0Q76g
12 hours ago
STARTING NOW: Panel on "Operation Protective Edge: Legal & Political Implications of ICC Prosecution" #Israel #Gaza http://t.co/tqRNNtxbHy
12 hours ago
Today! Live-Streaming OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution: 4 pm... http://t.co/S6zbMzakLr
14 hours ago
Today! Live-Streaming OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution: 4 pm @ GMU: http://t.co/7XIrnyZBMY
14 hours ago