From the Editors
The Middle East Studies Program and the Ali Vural Ak Center for Global Islamic Studies at George Mason University announce the deadline for applications for the Fall/Spring 2014-2015 academic year: 15 February 2014.
Click HERE for more information
Click HERE to apply
The aim of this degree program is to reposition the study of the Middle East and Islam within a global context to help students better analyze particular issues in light of current events and shifting historical paradigms. The program’s core classes provide a solid background in both fields of study, however students can choose to focus their coursework on either Middle East Studies or Islamic Studies. A variety of fascinating electives allow students to gain a unique understanding of the complex issues prevalent in both fields by examining historical and contemporary subjects across different disciplines.
With the recent popular uprisings in Arab countries, the transformation of social and political dynamics from North Africa to the Arab East, and our distinguished faculty’s work in new media and political economy, this program is truly “a new M.A. for a new Middle East.” Students will have the chance to study the region from multiple angles and explore emerging trends that shape current discourse in Middle East Studies.
The study of Islam’s diverse communities, rich history, and rapidly changing political realities is also approached from a global perspective in this program to offer students a broader understanding of the Muslim experience outside of any particular regional framework. While topics in Islamic Studies occasionally intersect with those of the Middle East, the degree’s curriculum incorporates subjects well beyond the limits of these borders to reflect the vast intellectual interests that define Islamic Studies today. Our faculty’s expertise in Islamic history, political Islam, and different religious trends will allow students to pursue a more nuanced study of Islam around the world while attaining the necessary skills to compete in today’s job market after graduation.
The application deadline is 15 February 2014 for admission in Fall 2014. For more details on the degree curriculum and application requirements, click here.
[The Arab Studies Institute (ASI), Jadaliyya's umbrella organization, is now affiliated with George Mason University and with this MA program. Applicants may indicate if they are interested in joining any of ASI's projects: Arab Studies Journal, Tadween Publishing, FAMA, Quilting Point, Jadaliyya.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Event: Angela Davis and Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat on Mass Incarceration in the United States http://t.co/t7ruqokD6U
10 hours ago
Syria Media Roundup (April 16) http://t.co/JtSpY91QjJ via @jadaliyya
12 hours ago
DARS Media Roundup (April 16) http://t.co/p2uVSO4alj
15 hours ago
O.I.L. Media Roundup (16 April) http://t.co/d5RMjjiFqW
16 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Valeska Huber, "Channelling Mobilities: Migration and Globalisation in the Suez Canal Region... http://t.co/mF45W7u0ko
16 hours ago
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Event: Angela Davis and Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat on Mass Incarceration in the United State and Palestine (19 April, Evergreen State College)
- DARS Media Roundup (April 16)
- New Texts Out Now: Valeska Huber, Channelling Mobilities: Migration and Globalisation in the Suez Canal Region and Beyond
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (16 April)
- Syria Media Roundup (April 16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 15)
- The Strands of the Military Opposition in Syria: An Interview with Yasser Munif (Part 2)
- Adunis, Mistranslated (Part One)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya April (7-13)
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 14)
- Tartus in the Present Crisis: A Mirror of the Syrian Regime
- Good Faith or Good Tactics? How Some Anti-Divestment Groups Manipulate Public Discourse and Smear SJP
- بيروت.. أول مرّة
- Devletlesen AKP, Degismeyen Devlet?
- Reports Roundup (April 12)
- قصائد رلى الجردي
- O.I.L. Monthly Edition (March 2014)
- Teaching Arabic in the US after 9/11