From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The Middle East Studies Program and the Ali Vural Ak Center for Global Islamic Studies at George Mason University announce the deadline for applications for the Fall/Spring 2014-2015 academic year: 15 February 2014.
Click HERE for more information
Click HERE to apply
The aim of this degree program is to reposition the study of the Middle East and Islam within a global context to help students better analyze particular issues in light of current events and shifting historical paradigms. The program’s core classes provide a solid background in both fields of study, however students can choose to focus their coursework on either Middle East Studies or Islamic Studies. A variety of fascinating electives allow students to gain a unique understanding of the complex issues prevalent in both fields by examining historical and contemporary subjects across different disciplines.
With the recent popular uprisings in Arab countries, the transformation of social and political dynamics from North Africa to the Arab East, and our distinguished faculty’s work in new media and political economy, this program is truly “a new M.A. for a new Middle East.” Students will have the chance to study the region from multiple angles and explore emerging trends that shape current discourse in Middle East Studies.
The study of Islam’s diverse communities, rich history, and rapidly changing political realities is also approached from a global perspective in this program to offer students a broader understanding of the Muslim experience outside of any particular regional framework. While topics in Islamic Studies occasionally intersect with those of the Middle East, the degree’s curriculum incorporates subjects well beyond the limits of these borders to reflect the vast intellectual interests that define Islamic Studies today. Our faculty’s expertise in Islamic history, political Islam, and different religious trends will allow students to pursue a more nuanced study of Islam around the world while attaining the necessary skills to compete in today’s job market after graduation.
The application deadline is 15 February 2014 for admission in Fall 2014. For more details on the degree curriculum and application requirements, click here.
[The Arab Studies Institute (ASI), Jadaliyya's umbrella organization, is now affiliated with George Mason University and with this MA program. Applicants may indicate if they are interested in joining any of ASI's projects: Arab Studies Journal, Tadween Publishing, FAMA, Quilting Point, Jadaliyya.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"After the intifada of the Pearl Roundabout, with the security solution and attacking on protesters, Bahraini TV began a campaign to call for the firing of workers that participated in the marches or the general strike."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Analog Sound
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (Audio Recording)
- البحر من هنا
- الحراك الجمعيّ على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام
- Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco
- New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire
- الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر
- Syria Media Roundup (October 28)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 28)
- DARS Media Roundup (October 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 28)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزَّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط / فلسطين المحتلة
- مقدمة: البحر من هنا
- هذا البحر لي
- Sarah Samy
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 20-26)
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 27)
- “Hamel, Leave!”: The Men in Blue and the Fracturing of the Order
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Analog sound http://t.co/2AgLn7p8VL
yesterday at 6:59 AM
نهى عناب: البحر من هنا http://t.co/nYLAElqbt5
yesterday at 6:45 AM
تالا حلاوة: الحراك الجمعي على مواقع التواصل الإجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام http://t.co/rMkNhJEigL
yesterday at 6:41 AM
Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (Audio Recording) http://t.co/GWRJxSlQxE
yesterday at 6:26 AM
Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco http://t.co/ZA7OF3d6Gm
on Wednesday 29 October at 09:28 AM