From the Editors
The following video was produced by students of the University of Jordan's Feminist Theory class during the fall semester of the 2011-2012 academic year. The video addresses sexual harassment experienced by female students on the University of Jordan campus. It was uploaded to YouTube on 9 June, 2012. The video's public release created "a controversy" both in print and online media in Jordan. In light of the video's supposed "harmful effect" on the university's reputation, Professor Rula Quawas, who taught the course, has been removed from her post as Dean of the Faculty of Foreign Languages at the University of Jordan. The Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Students Association issued a letter protesting Professor Quawas's removal from her post. For additional information, click here to read the Jadaliyya interview with one Professor Quawas's former students and the co-founder of the "Supporting Rula Quawas and Academic Freedom" website.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"One person walks in the streets, under the fog and the blurred dawn, indifferent to the fear and cold."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
In Conversation with Artist Nadia Ayari http://t.co/0Ob6sefULR
11 hours ago
In Turkey, Some Labels Keep on Giving http://t.co/sZp5ukU43u
12 hours ago
Panel Discussion: “'Resistance Everywhere': The Gezi Protests and Dissident Visions of Turkey" (City University... http://t.co/HrFAdplCq9
12 hours ago
Open Letter: Urgent Need for Cross-Border Aid for Syrians http://t.co/HnxIdcPxtS
on Saturday 08 March at 04:23 PM
Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss http://t.co/i3dWLBcToc
on Saturday 08 March at 09:00 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- In Conversation with Artist Nadia Ayari
- In Turkey, Some Labels Keep on Giving
- Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss
- DARS Media Roundup (March 8)
- Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadinlarin Bilme Bicimleri
- We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- لماذا لم يثر الصعيد؟ محاولة أولية للفهم ودعوة للنقاش
- عن السيد الجديد والمرأة المصرية
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6)
- قصائد المهمّشين
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2014)
- The (Ir)relevance of Academia? Academics Lash Back at Kristof for NYT Column
- Les quartiers populaires et les printemps arabes: Elements pour une approche renouvelee
- Buradan bir cikis var mi? Ya da neden HDP’deyim?
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Muhammad Ali on his Frontline Documentary "Syria's Second Front"
- Syria Media Roundup (March 4)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 4)
- Turkey Media Roundup (March 4)
- Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon: Health, Access, and Contributions