From the Editors
Jadaliyya is hereby launching its new Media page! This page provides a critical lens from which to explore and analyze the media landscape in and about the Middle East and North Africa. It spotlights new and traditional media players, platforms, and reporting at the local, regional, and global levels. Original articles featured in this page expand the disciplinary boundaries of media studies and communication to look at the intersections of the arts and all forms of representation. The page also features audio interviews and extensive video segments on various topics pertaining to the Middle East. Also forthcoming from the page is a weekly radio show "Media on the Margins" led by VOMENA's award-winning host and Jadaliyya co-editor Malihe Razazan.
Our first bouquet of articles include a stellar report from Basma Guthrie and Fida Adely titled "Is the Sky Falling? Press and Internet Censorship Rises in Jordan," a critical intervention from VJ Um Amel on the methodologies of social media analysis "Studying Social Streams: Cultural Analytics in Arabic," a telling case study by Donatella Della Ratta about regime and opposition discourses in Syria titled "Syrian Hands Raised: User-Generated Creativity Between Citizenship and Dissent," Adel Iskandar's an assessment of Egypt's military performance in "Year of the Ostrich: SCAF's Media Experiment," and an interview and preview of Linda Herrera's recently published "Youth and Citizenship in the Digital Age: A View from Egypt" from Jadaliyya's NEWTON page. It also includes the latest media roundup on Syria (November 1).
Click here to visit the MEDIA PAGE
For a look at our previously published original media-related works, visit the popular articles below:
Al-Jazeera's (E)evolution? by Vivian Salama
Pioneer Bloggers in the Gulf Arab States by Sultan Al-Qassemi
Marketing Agency, Branding Hope: War, Kony, and "Three Cups of Tea" by Sarah Lazare and John Wesley Jones
Adorning Afghan Walls by Nagmani
Free at last: Charting Egypt's Media Post-Mubarak by Adel Iskandar
Youth and Citizenship in the Digital Age: Critique of an Emerging Phenomenon by Amro Ali and Dina El-Sharnouby
Egypt's Presidential Elections and Twitter Talk by VJ Um Amel
Click here to visit the MEDIA PAGE
Also visit Jadaliyya's Multi-Media Interviews
And for the Latest Roundups from the Media:
Latest on Syria (1 November)
Latest on Egypt (29 October)
Happy reading, listening, and watching!
Jadaliyya's Media Page Editors
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
لكن مع كل ذلك، فإن هؤلاء اللاجئين، على رغم استقرارهم الوجودي في سورية، لم ينسوا أنهم عانوا ما عاناه السوريون من حرمان ومظالم وامتهان للحقوق والحريات.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Jadaliyya Launches Turkey Page
- 'All of a Sudden!': Gezi Park Resistance in Ankara
- Producing Pera: A Levantine Family and the Remaking of Istanbul
- Defiant Turkish Demonstrators 'Finding New Ways to Protest': Turkey Page Co-Editor Nazan Ustundag on Democracy Now!
- Occupy Angara: A Situation Assessment in a State of Emergency
- Defining the Terrain of Struggle in Taksim
- Egypt Media Roundup (June 17)
- حديثي مع الشيطان
- New Texts Out Now: Markus Dressler, Writing Religion: The Making of Turkish Alevi Islam
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (June 18)
- فرانكشتاين في بغداد
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (17 June)
- هل يمكن تطوير الجدل حول المثلية الجنسية؟
- Resisting Tear Gas Together
- معتقلو موريتانيا في غوانتانامو
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (June 10-16)
- Will the Presidential Elections “Cure the Pain” of the Iranian People?
- الانترنت والعولمة الثقافية
- #resistankara: Notes of a Woman Resisting
- It Is About the Park: A Struggle for Turkey’s Cities