From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
First Glance: Video Art Exhibit
6 & 7 November 2012
The Arete Foundation for Arts and Culture is to hold an exhibition of video art in Tripoli’s Old City on 6-7 November.
First Glance is the first exhibition of video art in the country. Nine screens in the Old City Works will show works by international artists from Argentina, Australia, Egypt, France, India, Japan, Lebanon, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Palestine, Syria, the UK, the US, and elsewhere.
“The First Glance exhibition will allow viewers to navigate between Tripoli’s Old City landmarks while the ancient walls offer one of the latest forms of art,” said artist Reem Gibriel, the executive director of the Arete Foundation for Culture and Arts.
“First Glance is an attempt to build bridges between art lovers and artists in Libya and their counterparts around the world in a free atmosphere and in a civilized manner that reflects the aspirations of all Libyans”, she explained.
The video art films will be shown between 6:00 pm and 8:30 pm on the two evenings . The starting point will be at the Arch of Marcus Aurelius in the Old City. Maps and directional signs will be provided to direct people to each point in the exhibition.
The foundation is named after the philosopher Arete of Cyrene (c. 400 BC – c. 340 BC), daughter of Aristippus (c. 435 BC – c. 356 BC), who founded the Cyrene School of Philosophy and was himself a pupil of Socrates. She was the mother of another philosopher, Aristippus the Younger, whom she taught. The 14th-century Italian poet Boccaccio wrote that she had taught 110 philosophers and had written forty books; on her tomb was an epitaph which stated that she had the beauty of Helen of Troy, the writing skills of Aristippus, the soul of Socrates, and the tongue of Homer.
For more information about First Glance, contact the Arete Foundation:
- Telephone number: 0913761702
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Stepping out of the vehicle, it is difficult not to reflect on the lives that were lost on this same ground, the people that were injured, and the tens of thousands of would-be Sahrawi refugees that crossed it beginning in 1975."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
- Hassan Khan in Conversation with Mohamed Abdelkarim
- In Memory of Suphi Nejat Agirnasli
- إشكالية المجتمع المدني في المغرب
- Press Release: Saudi Death Sentence against Shia Leader Is Politically Motivated
- الانحناء على جثة عمّان
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Charif, Mohamad Hafeda, and Joumana al Jabri, Creative Refuge
- Panel Event: After Gezi, After the Elections, After ISIS: Politics in Turkey Now (CUNY Graduate Center, 20 October 2014)
- Jadaliyya Featured in the New York Times: "Online Magazine Brings New Life to Arab Studies"
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 14)
- رحلتي إلى الراب والسياسة والسجن
- A Politics of Hope: A Tribute to Brief Lives at a Time of Perpetual Death
- Suphi Nejat Agirnasli’nin Anisina
- Egypt’s Conservative Nationalism: Discourse and Praxis of the New Regime
- Roj Roja Rojava
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah http://t.co/5j5SVfUUQ2
yesterday at 4:00 AM
Citizenfour: Laura Poitras’ Documentary on Edward Snowden (Video Trailer) http://t.co/53bm4GzGBD
on Saturday 18 October at 08:13 AM
Intervention and the Limits of US Power? A Panel Featuring Vijay Prashad and Jadaliyya Co-Editor Lisa Hajjar... http://t.co/bH7PRRk064
on Saturday 18 October at 07:02 AM
جدلية في عامها الرابع http://t.co/T3TTMADl6i
on Friday 17 October at 12:49 PM
Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason... http://t.co/MV83z1Kldq
on Friday 17 October at 09:38 AM