From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Chomsky on the Western Sahara and the “Arab Spring” Samia Errazzouki challenges the abstraction of the "Arab Spring," arguing that the term not only de-contextualizes the Western Sahara's protracted struggles for self-representation, but furthermore circumscribes the histories, events, and prospects of contemporary revolts in the Middle East.
Maghreb Media Roundup (October 25) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
New Texts Out Now: Rikke Hostrup Haugbolle and Francesco Cavatorta, Beyond Ghannouchi: Social Changes and Islamism in Tunisia Jadaliyya editors interview Rikke Hostrup Hougbølle and Francesco Cabatorta regarding the motivations behind their new article, which examines the long term socio-economic changes that contributed to Ennahda victory and attempts to further understanding of democratization in the region.
"Community is Based on Justice" Lilia Weslaty offers an optimistic yet critical analysis of Tunisia's current constitutional status and the overall transitional political climate.
Des trucs, des machins et des choses Salah Elayoubi rebukes Moroccan authorities' brazen intrusion onto journalist Ali Lmbarbet's property. Lmbarbet has been banned from journalistic endeavors for 10 years, following imprisonment and several other encounters with Moroccan officials.
Maghreb Media Roundup (October 18) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
La Libye un an après Mickael Vogel analyzes challenges to Libya's transitional process, including the implications of Libya's predicted economic growth on centralization and regional contentment.
New Texts Out Now: Ali Abdullatif Ahmida, Libya, Social Origins of Dictatorship, and the Challenge for Democracy Jadaliyya editors interview Ali Abdullatif Ahmida on his newest contribution to the Journal of the Middle East and Africa, which challenges ahistorical and atemporal tribalist portrayals of Libya.
Averting a Moroccan Revolution: The Monarchy's Preemptive Spatial Tactics and the Quest for Stability Report produced by the German Institute for International and Security Affairs expounds Morocco's political status quo beyond the conventional narrative of reform by examining the regime's control of "spatial practices," and the essential intersections between this spatiality and dissent.
The Struggle for Security in Eastern Libya New report issued by the Carnegie Endowment asses the obstacles to Libya's weak government, including a budding Salafist militancy, ethnic and regional infighting, and the absence of a substantive, central security force.
The Tunisian Revolution Continues: An Interview with Lina Ben Mhenni Samia Errazzouki interviews Tunisian blogger and activist Lina Ben Mhenni regarding her thoughts on controversial Amendment 28 and other salient issues pertaining to Tunisia's political climate.
Maghreb Media Roundup (October 11) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Yes, Morocco is a Regional Model Samia Errazzouki satirically challenges media tropes that aver Morocco's successful evasion of the formulaic "Arab Spring."
Maghreb Media Roundup (October 4) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Iraqi Odyssey in NYC
- دمشق 2013
- الهوامش التي نعيش فيها
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 24)
- A Moveable Feast? Reflections on the French Coverage of the Paris Attacks
- Palestine Media Roundup (November 19 - 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 16-22)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 26)
- The Diaspora, Debt, and Dollarization: Unraveling Lebanon’s Resilience to a Sovereign Debt Crisis
- في العلاقة الشائكة بين التاريخ والتطرّف
- New Texts Out Now: Safinaz El Tarouty, Businessmen, Clientelism, and Authoritarianism in Egypt
- Anthropologists Speak Out for Justice in Palestine
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.3 is Live! Celebrating Our One-Year Anniversary
- يكفيني أن ألمس ورقة خضراء حتى أرى
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 23)
- عصفورية إلى الأبد
- Affirming the Rights of Students to Organize, Protest, and Resist (City University of New York)
- Terror Everywhere, Humanity Nowhere
- الجلبي، عبد الرزاق عبد الواحد: سجال ما بعد الديكتاتور
- القصائدُ قرودٌ؛ هكذا كلّ واقعٍ في عين أمّه غزال