From the Editors
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Trial of Israeli Attack on Freedom Flotilla Begins on November 6 IHH Humanitarian Relief foundation reports on the opening of the trial on Israel's attack on the Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla in Çağlayan Courthouse in Turkey. The suspects, which include several high-ranking individuals within the Israeli Defense Forces, will be tried as "fugitive suspects."
Urgent Call for Kurdish Hunger Strikers in Turkey This letter seeks to draw attention to the 683 Kurdish detainees on hunger strike in Turkish prisoners, many of whom have been on strike for over 50 days. Despite the dangerous duration of the strikes, the Turkish prime minister refused to acknowledge the strikers' existence at a recent press conference.
Turkish Academics' Statement of Solidarity with Kurdish Detainees on Hunger Strike In this letter, a number of Turkish academics formally state their intent to include the demands of the Kurdish hunger strikers and advocacy for the Kurdish people into their academic activities, both courses they teach and written work.
Two Iranian Activists Granted EU's Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought Nasrin Sotoudeh, a lawyer, and Jafar Panahi, a film maker, were awarded the European Parliament's prestigious Sakharov Prize, which recognizes activists or political dissidents who make significant contributions in the field of human rights and democracy.
Who Will Win the Presidential Election? Lecture by Michael McDonald George Mason University's Professor McDonald lectures on voter turnout and other factors that might influence the result of the US presidential election.
Month-by-Month Summary of Developments in Syria (Updated) International Crisis Group issues a monthly "Crisis Watch" report on Syria; these briefs are compiled here, showing the progression of the Syrian conflict.
Gatekeepers and Evictions: Somalia's Displaced Population at Risk Refugees International reports on the dangers and difficulties faced by internally displaced persons in Somalia, including abuse and aid diversion by camp "gatekeepers."
National Students for Justice in Palestine Conference Opposes "Normalizing" Israeli Human Rights Abuses At the Second Annual National Students for Justice in Palestine Conference, students worked to form coalitions across campuses and create new protocols for fundraising and media promotion.
Amnesty International Calls for End to Bahraini Ban on Protesting Amnesty International condemns the Bahrain government's ban on protesting, which was instituted on October 30 and will continue indefinitely, or "until security is maintained."
Bidayat: New Beginnings for All Seasons of Change This article, translated from Arabic, is the introduction to the inaugural issue of Bidayat, a journal dealing with various aspects of the popular Arab revolutions.
Palestinian Youth Statement from Lebanon Issued by supporters at a rally in Beirut on November 9, this statement deals with Mahmoud Abbas's recent comments compromising his stance on the Palestinian right of return.
Draft Resolution Requesting Palestine Upgrade from Observer Mission Status to Observer State Status The Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine to the United Nations submitted a draft resolution requesting an upgrade in its status. This request will not affect the Palestinian bid for statehood.
International Call Out: British CEO's Actions Threaten Union Rights in Lebanon Friends of Spinneys Workers draws attention to the harassment, both physical and psychological, of workers at the Lebanese branches of Spinney's supermarket. These attacks, a product of Spinney's CEO Michael Wright and Lebanese elites, are intended to curtail the activities of the workers' independent union.
Facebook Attempts to Shut Down the Voice of "The Uprising of Women in the Arab World" The Facebook group "The Uprising of Women in the Arab World" responds to attempts by Facebook to block, suspend, or permanently delete the accounts of its key activists. The controversy surrounds a post asking the group's members to support activist Dana Bakdounes, who submitted a photograph of herself without her hijab to the campaign.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
‘We now dream to die in a civilized way, with a beautiful bullet that would end our lives quickly, a bullet made for humans, not birds like the ones they fire at us, that we would die in a way our families would be able to recognize our corpses.’click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة
- Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 28)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 21-27)
- Reporter Jon Snow on Gaza's Children: Misery and Responsibility
- The Informants: Manufacturing Terror
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 26)
- عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة http://t.co/nwKVMCzShL
yesterday at 2:45 PM
The Informants: Manufacturing Terror http://t.co/MJSVACBKid
yesterday at 11:15 AM
Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive http://t.co/6lbv9eqcLo
yesterday at 10:18 AM
CFP: Medinas in the 20th & 21th Centuries (Algiers, February 2015) http://t.co/ps2PeNA2UL
yesterday at 9:42 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (July 28) http://t.co/Y5XvDwhouY
yesterday at 9:13 AM