From the Editors
This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on Egypt. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Egypt-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form to firstname.lastname@example.org [click “Submissions” on the main page for more information].
Statement by Comrades from Cairo: We Refuse Economic Bondage -- Stop the Loans
A statement released by Comrades from Cairo rejecting the IMF loan which the Egyptian government is currently negotiating.
Studying Social Streams: Cultural Analytics in Arabic
VJ Um Amel uses examples of Egyptian digital media to discuss methods of academic study.
Civil Society in Revolt: From the Arab Spring to Occupy Wall Street
Chiara Bottici and Benoit Challand discuss whether the protests of the past year signal a new wave of popular mobilization.
نظرة داخل البيت السلفي
Islam Mohamed Abdel-Bari writes about the internal tensions between two ideological groups in the Salafi Al-Nour Party.
Egypt’s Constituent Assembly: Contempt and Counterrevolution
Paul Sedra criticizes the constitution writing process and a recent allotment of state money to promote the draft constitution among the Egyptians.
مقطع من رواية التماسيح
An excerpt of Youssef Rakha’s recent novel Crocodiles.
Currency Crisis in Iran; Copts in Egypt
Paul Sedra speaks on the difficulties the Christian Coptic minority in post-Mubarak Egypt.
Hossam El-Hamalawy on Social Media and Protests in Egypt
An interview with labor activist Hossam El-Hamalawy discussing social media and the revolution.
الهامش الاحتجاجي يسقط المركز التسلطي: العملية الثورية لا تنتصر إلا بالتضامن العالمي
An review of the recently published book Marginalization and the marginalized in Egypt and the Middle East.
الربيع العربي: الصحة والرعاية في المرحلة الانتقالية
Adam Coutts, Sharif Ismail, and Mark Dempsey point out a number of steps that transitioning Arab states should take in order to secure effective healthcare reforms.
Jadaliyya’s translations and culture commentaries for the month of October.
Huda Lutfi: The Artist and the Historical Moment
Mai Serhan presents an overview of Huda Lutfi’s artistic life since 1992.
Power, Rebirth, and Scandal: A Decade of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina
Amro Ali recounts the history of the Alexandrian library from its inception in the 1970s as an idea to the humiliating forced resignation of its corrupt former president.
An Overview of the Egyptian Legal System and Legal Research
A short overview of Dr. Mohamed S. Abdel Wahab’s new book on Egypt’s legal system.
New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Baudouin Dupret, and Eric Denis, Popular Housing and Urban Land Tenure in the Middle East
An interview with the authors of a new book on urban development.
Text of Manal El-Tibi's Resignation Letter to Egypt's Constituent Assembly
Human rights activist Manal El-Tibi justifies her resignation with the incapacity of the constitution to provide freedom and equality for all citizens, but favoring one particular interest group.
Martyrdom at Maspero: Searching for meaning
Paul Sedra tries to explain what happened on October 9-10, 2011, arguing that it was not simply a pogrom.
Justice Denied: Egypt's Maspero Massacre One Year On
Ekram Ibrahim writes that justice still eludes the families of the killed during the Maspero Massacre; so far, only three soldiers and no officers have been sentenced to short-term prison terms.
A Firsthand Account: Marching From Shubra to Deaths at Maspero
Sarah Carr’s witness account of the events of 9 October 2011.
Egypt’s Withering Paternalism and the Future of Its Political Economy
Amr Adly says the ruling party has three options to cope with social conflict that the collapsed paternalistic authoritarian system set up by Gamal Abd El-Nasser can no longer manage.
“عن أزمة حزب النور وتحديات الحركة السلفية في مصر”
Ashraf El-Sherif writes about the recent divisions within the Salafi movement and the future challenges they face in Egypt.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video) http://t.co/WsmfqJcSKm
16 hours ago
No Ceasefire without Justice for Gaza http://t.co/ivVPmrYo29
17 hours ago
[now, even the BBC!] When BBC Calls, Don't Answer: http://t.co/XGcT0Sv5l6 via @rfalk13
18 hours ago
Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children? http://t.co/tSr67a2qPx
20 hours ago
Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour http://t.co/pKPwko1thr
21 hours ago
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- Video: Gaza—Is This a War on Children?
- Press Release: From Tel Aviv to Toronto, Los Angeles to London, Chicago to San Francisco, Jews Say No to Israeli Genocide
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات