From the Editors
Cairo Event: In tribute to the history of studio photographic practice in Egypt: On Photography, at Studio Viennoise (14 November - 16 December 2012)
In tribute to the history of studio photographic practice in Egypt: On Photography, at Studio Viennoise
14 November - 16 December 2012
(Soft Opening: 14 November at 7 pm. Closing event, “Finissage”: 16 December at 6 pm.)
7 Champollion Street, Downtown Cairo
Daily 11am to 8pm, until 10pm during events
Curated by Heba Farid and Paul Ayoub-Geday
[Photo by Selim Youssef]
On photography, at Studio Viennoise will look at selected historical examples and will touch on contemporary approaches to photographic studio practice.
Tributes to well known as well as forgotten photographers will be exhibited alongside oral histories (videos) describing the practices of some of the “Last Studios” and current practitioners. The state of the profession will be discussed through the juxtaposition of these works with that of contemporary practitioners and artists.
Questions of technique, style and the market will be discussed through the forms and mediums of the works exhibited, creating micro-climates and relationships between the works - archaeological and yet referencing contemporary practice.
The viewer will be invited to participate in the production of photographs through the "Living Studio" (at Studio Viennoise); a working photographic studio that will host invited practitioners. Each photographer/artist will re-create their own practice, deciding their own form and medium, and will produce work that will be exhibited at the end of the exhibition.
The exhibition will open to the public starting Wednesday 14 November 2012 from 11am. Various talks, film screenings, master classes, and photo sessions with selected photographers/artists will take place throughout the duration of the exhibition (5 weeks). A closing event, “Finissage,” followed by a reception will be held on Sunday 16 December 2012 at 6pm to present the production of the Living Studio.
[Photo by Selim Youssef.]
- Studio Viennoise waiting room and working studio (the Living Studio)
- The Last Studios: From the last great studios of Cairo and Alexandria
- Oral histories: Video installations; Testimonies of practitioners
- Contemporary practices: How the profession reinvents itself
[Studio Bella, Kasr El Nil street, Cairo. Photo by Paul A-Geday.]
- Tributes to once famous but forgotten photographers: Photographs from collections
- Tribute to the Camera Mayya and the unknown photographer: Photographs from collections, documentary photographs, oral history, and artifacts
[Photo taken by a Camera Mayya in Alexandria. An example of a Camera Mayya is in the foreground.]
Check for program information and updates on the Facebook page.
Organized by the Photographic Memory of Egypt (PME) program at CULTNAT
Supported by the Office fédéral de la culture OFC, Musées et collections (CH), Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage, Egypt (CULTNAT) and Ismaelia Real Estate.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"These neighborhood-based theatrical performances enabled residents to articulate their exclusion from the material resources of their city and nation, and to expose their racialized bodies that had been rendered invisible."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Syria Media Roundup (September 20)
- DARS Media Roundup (September 20)
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 12)
- The Question of Judeo/Arabic(s): Itineraries of Belonging [Lecture at GMU]
- Syria Media Roundup (September 13)
- Announcing the New Issue of Middle East Report -- Fuel and Water: The Coming Crises
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Syria Media Roundup (September 20) http://t.co/tRnZQmgxSs
yesterday at 9:01 AM
DARS Media Roundup (September 20) http://t.co/sYJ1O5GNyq
yesterday at 7:12 AM
where #media and #politics intersect: a conversation on #newmedia and #leftpolitics http://t.co/cHuE8Odpgk
on Friday 19 September at 10:59 AM
on the subversive, talented, alluring Yasmin Hamdan #music #art #arab http://t.co/BNrTbLErLB
on Friday 19 September at 10:58 AM
how to defend #palestine activists? @Nadine Naber interviews Dima Khalidi http://t.co/LwyApj1Hqd
on Friday 19 September at 10:57 AM