From the Editors
Cairo Event: In tribute to the history of studio photographic practice in Egypt: On Photography, at Studio Viennoise (14 November - 16 December 2012)
In tribute to the history of studio photographic practice in Egypt: On Photography, at Studio Viennoise
14 November - 16 December 2012
(Soft Opening: 14 November at 7 pm. Closing event, “Finissage”: 16 December at 6 pm.)
7 Champollion Street, Downtown Cairo
Daily 11am to 8pm, until 10pm during events
Curated by Heba Farid and Paul Ayoub-Geday
[Photo by Selim Youssef]
On photography, at Studio Viennoise will look at selected historical examples and will touch on contemporary approaches to photographic studio practice.
Tributes to well known as well as forgotten photographers will be exhibited alongside oral histories (videos) describing the practices of some of the “Last Studios” and current practitioners. The state of the profession will be discussed through the juxtaposition of these works with that of contemporary practitioners and artists.
Questions of technique, style and the market will be discussed through the forms and mediums of the works exhibited, creating micro-climates and relationships between the works - archaeological and yet referencing contemporary practice.
The viewer will be invited to participate in the production of photographs through the "Living Studio" (at Studio Viennoise); a working photographic studio that will host invited practitioners. Each photographer/artist will re-create their own practice, deciding their own form and medium, and will produce work that will be exhibited at the end of the exhibition.
The exhibition will open to the public starting Wednesday 14 November 2012 from 11am. Various talks, film screenings, master classes, and photo sessions with selected photographers/artists will take place throughout the duration of the exhibition (5 weeks). A closing event, “Finissage,” followed by a reception will be held on Sunday 16 December 2012 at 6pm to present the production of the Living Studio.
[Photo by Selim Youssef.]
- Studio Viennoise waiting room and working studio (the Living Studio)
- The Last Studios: From the last great studios of Cairo and Alexandria
- Oral histories: Video installations; Testimonies of practitioners
- Contemporary practices: How the profession reinvents itself
[Studio Bella, Kasr El Nil street, Cairo. Photo by Paul A-Geday.]
- Tributes to once famous but forgotten photographers: Photographs from collections
- Tribute to the Camera Mayya and the unknown photographer: Photographs from collections, documentary photographs, oral history, and artifacts
[Photo taken by a Camera Mayya in Alexandria. An example of a Camera Mayya is in the foreground.]
Check for program information and updates on the Facebook page.
Organized by the Photographic Memory of Egypt (PME) program at CULTNAT
Supported by the Office fédéral de la culture OFC, Musées et collections (CH), Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage, Egypt (CULTNAT) and Ismaelia Real Estate.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
لقد كانت تركيا أول دولة ذات أغلبية مسلمة تعترف بالدولة الصهيونية، وعقدت معها منذ الخمسينيات صفقات تجاريةclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On the Margins Roundup (September)
- New Texts Out Now: Abdullah Al-Arian, Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat’s Egypt
- Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul: Un urbanisme spéculatif, ségrégatif et durable
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014)
- Cities Media Roundup (September 1-30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 30)
- A Voyage to Toledo: Twenty-Five Years After the 'Jews of the Orient and Palestinians' Meeting
- Displaced Intentions
- When Your Name is on the Blacklist
- عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء"
- Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel
- Turkey’s New Migration Policy: Control Through Bureaucratization
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 22-28)
- El Rass
- Excavating the Sky
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 29)
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar
- Tadween Spotlight: Gaza
- Evden Emlaga Fikirtepe: Rant ve Spekulasyon Ekseninde Kentsel Donusum
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Statement by Jewish Studies Professors Regarding 'Deplorable' Amcha Initiative http://t.co/2eEW1QeGAA
12 hours ago
Jadaliyya's Top 50 of All Time http://t.co/mdnFJqWqM2
12 hours ago
Le projet de ville nouvelle Bio-Istanbul http://t.co/7TCOtNabQC
12 hours ago
Statement: Over 250 Anthropologists Join Call for a Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions http://t.co/d5GNce4597
13 hours ago
Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (September 2014) http://t.co/lVuyHprzP6
13 hours ago