From the Editors
[The following statement was issued by the Bahrain Center for Human Rights and the Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights on 7 November 2012.]
The Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights (BYSHR) and the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) express their grave concern over the King of Bahrain’s decision to revoke Bahraini citizenship from thirty-one individuals. This move is reminiscent of past government crackdowns in the 1980s, when the past Emir, Salman bin Isa AlKhalifa, revoked the citizenship of a number of citizens. A cyber vigilante known by the twitter account @7areghum (which is reportedly linked to the Bahraini authorities) wrote the names of 31 individuals whose citizenships have been revoked. Twenty minutes later the official Bahrain News Agency published the same list on their website.
The BYSHR and the BCHR express grave concern over the systematic targeting of prominent political activists, former members of parliament, clerics, and others. The Bahraini authorities did not provide substantial evidence as to why these individuals' citizenships have been revoked, nor has the government issued a formal notification that their citizenship has been revoked prior to the press release on BNA.
It is apparent that the actions taken by the Bahraini authorities to revoke the citizenships of thirty-one individuals is intended to punish them for expressing peaceful dissent and thereby intimidate others from exercising their right to freedom of expression. This comes at a time when the crackdown in Bahrain by the authorities is intensifying and, in light of continued international inaction, will continue to deteriorate.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states: "no one shall be arbitrarily deprived of [their] nationality." In depriving these Bahrainis of their nationality for exercising their right to peaceful expression, the Bahrain authorities have disproportionately enacted punitive measures against its citizens, leaving them stateless and thereby issuing arbitrary dispossessions of nationality.
The BYSHR and the BCHR call the United States, the United Kingdom, the United Nations, and all other close allies to Bahrain and international institutions to put pressure on the Bahrain authorities to:
- Reverse this provocative decision and to further allow all citizens of Bahrain to freely exercise their right to freedom of expression.
- Immediately stop the systematic and widespread human rights violations against the citizens of Bahrain
[Click here to view the list of people whose citizenship has been revoked.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
“People protesting against Western-style economic policies and Western-supported authoritarianism are imagined instead to be protesting in favor of Western-style democracy. ”click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20) http://t.co/mwBrIekKOl
yesterday at 3:16 PM
بغايا بغداد التعيسات http://t.co/6cGd9SV2z0
yesterday at 3:14 PM
yesterday at 3:13 PM
Israel Mows the Lawn http://t.co/wmDyTw0yNI
yesterday at 3:13 PM
Israel Mows the Lawn http://t.co/ErgoLExr8z via @jadaliyya
yesterday at 2:46 PM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein