From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
International Call Out: British CEO's Actions Threaten Union Rights in Lebanon Friends of Spinneys Workers draws attention to the harassment, both physical and psychological, of workers at the Lebanese branches of Spinney's supermarket. These attacks, a product of Spinney's CEO Michael Wright and Lebanese elites, are intended to curtail the activities of the workers' independent union.
The Struggle of Twice-Displaced Refugees: Palestinians Fleeing Syria to Lebanon The story of Meesar Lahan, a Palestinian refugee who fled a camp in Syria in September, depicts new difficulties faced by many Palestinians in light of the war in Syria.
Joint Statement on the Revocation of Bahraini Citizenship from 31 People The Bahrain Center for Human Rights and Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights condemn the most recent development in the targeting of human rights activists in Bahrain––the revocation of their status as Bahraini citizens.
Letter to IMF From Egyptian Parties, NGOs, Syndicates and Political Movements A number of Egyptian groups and parties address the IMF and Egyptian government over ongoing negotiations on a potential loan to Egypt. The letter takes issue with the lack of transparency in negotiations and the fact that decisions are being made despite the absence of an elected parliament.
Letter Concerning US Department of State Decision to Freeze Scholarships for Students from Gaza The Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association addresses Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with their concern regarding scholarships to Gazan students. For the past two years, the US has granted scholarships to students from Gaza wanting to further their studies in the West Bank; however, the program has been frozen for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Timeline: Israel's Latest Escalation in Gaza The Institute for Middle East Understanding summarizes the series of events leading up to the 14 November attack and provides a fact sheet on Israel's history of breaking ceasefires.
Lonely Servitude: Child Domestic Labor in Morocco Human Rights Watch reports on the status of child domestic laborers in Morocco, following up on their earlier work on the topic in 2005. This report assesses what progress has been made in eliminating child domestic labor over the past seven years and lists what challenges remain.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"With a network of over four and a half million researchers, a quarter of the world’s academics... Academia.edu aims to provide a platform for scholars to publish their research without having to become tangled in the prolonged peer review process of academic and scientific journals."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 23-29)
- Cities Media Roundup (March 2015)
- Four Years On: No Easy Answers in Syria (Part II)
- Beyond Romanticism: Scribbles Then and Now: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Wael Attili and Adel Iskandar
- Highlights from Sharjah Biennial 12 Open Week
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (January-February 2014)
- In Need of Aid but Hungry for Peace
- Syria Media Roundup (March 23)
- Boris Brejcha at D-CAF
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (28 March)
- Illicit Sex in Ottoman and French Algeria: An Interview with Aurelie Perrier
- Harvard Event: Anthony Alessandrini on Fanonian Nonviolence: After the African Spring (6 April)
- Snapshot: Palestinian Spring
- Yemen at Crossroads: An Interview with Activist Hisham Al-Omeisy
- New Texts Out Now: Don Karl and Basma Hamdy, Walls of Freedom: Street Art of the Egyptian Revolution
- New Texts Out Now: Khalil Bendib, Too Big To Fail
- New Vision for 13th Festival of Young Creators
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 24)
- What is the Role of Academia in Political Change?: The Case of BDS and Israeli Violations of International Law - from STATUS/الوضع Panels
- Turkey Media Roundup (March 24)