From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
International Call Out: British CEO's Actions Threaten Union Rights in Lebanon Friends of Spinneys Workers draws attention to the harassment, both physical and psychological, of workers at the Lebanese branches of Spinney's supermarket. These attacks, a product of Spinney's CEO Michael Wright and Lebanese elites, are intended to curtail the activities of the workers' independent union.
The Struggle of Twice-Displaced Refugees: Palestinians Fleeing Syria to Lebanon The story of Meesar Lahan, a Palestinian refugee who fled a camp in Syria in September, depicts new difficulties faced by many Palestinians in light of the war in Syria.
Joint Statement on the Revocation of Bahraini Citizenship from 31 People The Bahrain Center for Human Rights and Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights condemn the most recent development in the targeting of human rights activists in Bahrain––the revocation of their status as Bahraini citizens.
Letter to IMF From Egyptian Parties, NGOs, Syndicates and Political Movements A number of Egyptian groups and parties address the IMF and Egyptian government over ongoing negotiations on a potential loan to Egypt. The letter takes issue with the lack of transparency in negotiations and the fact that decisions are being made despite the absence of an elected parliament.
Letter Concerning US Department of State Decision to Freeze Scholarships for Students from Gaza The Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association addresses Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with their concern regarding scholarships to Gazan students. For the past two years, the US has granted scholarships to students from Gaza wanting to further their studies in the West Bank; however, the program has been frozen for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Timeline: Israel's Latest Escalation in Gaza The Institute for Middle East Understanding summarizes the series of events leading up to the 14 November attack and provides a fact sheet on Israel's history of breaking ceasefires.
Lonely Servitude: Child Domestic Labor in Morocco Human Rights Watch reports on the status of child domestic laborers in Morocco, following up on their earlier work on the topic in 2005. This report assesses what progress has been made in eliminating child domestic labor over the past seven years and lists what challenges remain.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"What is emerging in Egypt (and elsewhere) is a religious secularism and a secularist religionism that will probably produce new styles of movements and organizations that may keep old labels but will be significantly different from their twentieth-century ancestors."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Mubarakism on Steroids: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Hesham Sallam Interviewed on the Anniversary of the Revolution
- The Revolutionary Practice of Endurance
- Is Cairene Graffiti Losing Momentum?
- “Old People Are Not Revolutionaries!” Labor Struggles Between Precarity and Istiqrar in a Factory Occupation in Egypt
- Will the Counter-Revolution Continue?
- Charlie Hebdo ve Cumhuriyetin Sinirlari
- Visualizing Impact: The Long Run & On the Brink
- Call for Submissions: Palestine Yearbook of International Law
- Syria Media Roundup (January 19)
- مجلة الدراسات الفلسطينية العدد 101: تطورات القدس ومسألة السلفية الجهادية
- Rap as Activism in Morocco: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Mouad Belghouate (El-Haqed) and Samia Errazzouki
- الجسد والسلطة في السينما
- درويش خارج النص
- On the Margins Roundup (January)
- Coming Soon! Against All Odds: Voices of Popular Struggle In Iraq
- New Texts Out Now: Luca Anceschi, Gennaro Gervasio, and Andrea Teti, Informal Power in the Greater Middle East
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Sinan Antoon Wins 2014 Saif Ghobash Banipal Translation Prize
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 12-18)
- Third Eye: Photography
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (January 20)