From the Editors
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
International Call Out: British CEO's Actions Threaten Union Rights in Lebanon Friends of Spinneys Workers draws attention to the harassment, both physical and psychological, of workers at the Lebanese branches of Spinney's supermarket. These attacks, a product of Spinney's CEO Michael Wright and Lebanese elites, are intended to curtail the activities of the workers' independent union.
The Struggle of Twice-Displaced Refugees: Palestinians Fleeing Syria to Lebanon The story of Meesar Lahan, a Palestinian refugee who fled a camp in Syria in September, depicts new difficulties faced by many Palestinians in light of the war in Syria.
Joint Statement on the Revocation of Bahraini Citizenship from 31 People The Bahrain Center for Human Rights and Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights condemn the most recent development in the targeting of human rights activists in Bahrain––the revocation of their status as Bahraini citizens.
Letter to IMF From Egyptian Parties, NGOs, Syndicates and Political Movements A number of Egyptian groups and parties address the IMF and Egyptian government over ongoing negotiations on a potential loan to Egypt. The letter takes issue with the lack of transparency in negotiations and the fact that decisions are being made despite the absence of an elected parliament.
Letter Concerning US Department of State Decision to Freeze Scholarships for Students from Gaza The Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association addresses Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with their concern regarding scholarships to Gazan students. For the past two years, the US has granted scholarships to students from Gaza wanting to further their studies in the West Bank; however, the program has been frozen for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Timeline: Israel's Latest Escalation in Gaza The Institute for Middle East Understanding summarizes the series of events leading up to the 14 November attack and provides a fact sheet on Israel's history of breaking ceasefires.
Lonely Servitude: Child Domestic Labor in Morocco Human Rights Watch reports on the status of child domestic laborers in Morocco, following up on their earlier work on the topic in 2005. This report assesses what progress has been made in eliminating child domestic labor over the past seven years and lists what challenges remain.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"My mother slapped us on our hands and said, “These are not your oranges, your oranges are in Palestine”."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- بدايات، فصلية ثقافية فكرية: لكل فصول التغيير
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 12)
- The Question of Judeo/Arabic(s): Itineraries of Belonging [Lecture at GMU]
- Syria Media Roundup (September 13)
- Announcing the New Issue of Middle East Report -- Fuel and Water: The Coming Crises
- The University of Illinois Board of Trustees Votes against Reinstating Professor Salaita
- Behind the Bahraini Revolution: An Interview with Maryam Al-Khawaja
- Algeria’s Jewish Past-Present
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (10 September)
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد عبده
- Salaita Speaks Out: A Report-Back from the Press Conference
- New Texts Out Now: Linda Herrera, Revolution in the Age of Social Media: The Egyptian Popular Insurrection and the Internet
- First Official Statement by Steven Salaita Concerning His Termination from UIUC
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
D-CAF Festival, Qasr el-Nile Theater, Cairo http://t.co/BxDxZEQUxw
10 hours ago
Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics http://t.co/4UbpgXcKKO
11 hours ago
Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16) http://t.co/NqosA9gaUf
11 hours ago
@theCCR Apologies, it is being reposted shortly.
yesterday at 9:22 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (September 15) http://t.co/NNK1b2uJk6
yesterday at 7:57 AM