From the Editors
Iranian musician and songwriter Shahin Najafi describes himself as an artist who shows no mercy to any group or any part of the political spectrum. In his work nothing appears to be sacred; his lyrics constantly question political authoritarianism, social injustice, ideological dogmas, and cultural taboos. Shahin Najafi’s defiant spirit put him at loggerheads with the authorities in Iran and compelled him to leave the country in 2004 in order to continue his work without fear of persecution. But even that did not end his troubles with Iranian authorities.
Earlier this year, he had to take temporary refuge in a house near Cologne, Germany after a cleric in Iran issued a fatwa, a religious edict, calling for his death. The cleric characterized one of Shahin Najafi’s songs, "Naghi," as offensive to religious values and called him an apostate who had to be killed. A $100,000 bounty was also offered for the musician’s head, in case the religious proclamation was not enough to motivate one to do the killing.
Even this latest episode did not stop Shahin Najafi from continuing his musical journey. He connects to his many fans in Iran through Barg Music. Malihe Razazan spoke with Shahin Najafi about his work and his connection to his fans in Iran
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"The events made me feel an urgent need to proceed with this film. One of the young students who worked with me turned into a fighter overnight; his sectarianism motivated his march into battle. The previous question presented itself once again: how can a university student transform into a “monster”?"click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein