From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Iranian musician and songwriter Shahin Najafi describes himself as an artist who shows no mercy to any group or any part of the political spectrum. In his work nothing appears to be sacred; his lyrics constantly question political authoritarianism, social injustice, ideological dogmas, and cultural taboos. Shahin Najafi’s defiant spirit put him at loggerheads with the authorities in Iran and compelled him to leave the country in 2004 in order to continue his work without fear of persecution. But even that did not end his troubles with Iranian authorities.
Earlier this year, he had to take temporary refuge in a house near Cologne, Germany after a cleric in Iran issued a fatwa, a religious edict, calling for his death. The cleric characterized one of Shahin Najafi’s songs, "Naghi," as offensive to religious values and called him an apostate who had to be killed. A $100,000 bounty was also offered for the musician’s head, in case the religious proclamation was not enough to motivate one to do the killing.
Even this latest episode did not stop Shahin Najafi from continuing his musical journey. He connects to his many fans in Iran through Barg Music. Malihe Razazan spoke with Shahin Najafi about his work and his connection to his fans in Iran
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The myth of mass Bedouin criminality is foregrounded despite documented evidence that some families were forcibly and illegally displaced by the authorities and had returned, while others had been ordered by the authorities to live and work on the land under question.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- We Have Lost Too Much
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 12)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 12)
- عن الأمل والألم
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani on AJE Inside Edition Panel on Escalating Violence in Palestine
- Ankara Bombings: Democracy Now! Interview with HDP’s Hisyar Ozsoy and Turkey Page Co-Editor Asli Bali
- ذهب السودان بعد نفطه: لمن؟
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 5-11)
- The Ankara Massacre and the State as a Serial Killer in Erdogan’s Turkey
- Selahattin Demirtas of HDP Responds to Ankara Bombings (Video)
- غزة بلوز: دندنات الحب والموت والمقاومة
- في منزل النقد
- Violence In Israel and The Palestinian Territories: It's The Occupation (Video)
- Roundtable On Refugee Crisis: Historical Legacies, Political Context, and Legal Mechanisms
- Loeterman’s Documentary on Palestine (1913): Seeds of Conflict
- Palestine Media Roundup (October 1 – 7)
- Teach-In On Gaza: History, Politics, and Economics (GU Event)
- المدن نساء حلم متأخر
- Whitewashing Colonialism
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (August-October)