From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Wednesday night of every week.]
Algeria Faces off US Pressure on Mali Abdel Bari Atwan opines an approval of Algeria's rejection of joint military intervention in Mali.
Algeria increasing military spending Defenceweb examines the context of Algeria's newly proposed defense budget.
Algeria: on a military spending spree Borzou Daragahi supplements Defencewebs' analysis, examining external motivations and proximate consequences of the expanded budget.
Algeria: Statement By the IMF Mission On the 2012 Article IV Consultations Mission With Algeria
Lessons from Libya: Successes, Failures and Challenges Mohamed Eljarh assesses prospects of political, social, and economic development.
Maqdisi’s disciples in Libya and Tunisia Aaron Zelin discusses the social services provided by Katibat Ansar Al-Sharia in Benghazi and Ansar al-Sharia in Tunisia, and theredounding effect of these local ties on the groups' growth.
Between Interference and Assistance: The Politics of International Support in Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya Brooking Institute report reflects on the transitional issues addressed in a May working group which convened politically diverse members from each respective nation.
Col Gaddafi’s children 'flee Algeria’ Damien McElroy estimates the potential moves of the Gaddafi clan.
مطالب بلا رضوخ
Muhammed Yunus Drissi discusses the GNC's new constraints on protests and demonstrations.
Mauritania: RIP Constitutional Institutions Ahmed Jadu reports on the Feb 25 movement's protests against the current 'constitutional void'.
نريد الاستقلال والشراكة
Ahmed Jadu discusses a new initiative by mauritanian bloggers called #NonLaTuelle in response to France's rising influence in Mauritanian politics.
فرنسا تتدخل في موريتانيا قبل مالي
Component post of the Feb25 's movements "No to trusteeship, yes to partnership" campaign against French intervention in Mauritania's political affairs.
في ظل غياب رئيس الجمهورية لقاء يجمع قادة المنسقية والحزب الحاكم | #موريتانيا أخبار
Mauritania's ruling party and the Coordination for Democratic Opposition convene for the first time to discuss normalizing relations.
هل تُشْفَى موريتانيا من مرَضِ عزيز؟
Mohamed Ben Mohkhtar Shanqeeti posits the debilitating effect of Aziz' shooting on the state's cohesiveness.
المنسقية أمام البرلمان تطالب بسد الفراغ الدستوري ” كواليس وصور ” | #موريتانيا أخبار
Mauritanians organized by the Coordination of Democratic Opposition protest against the current parliamentary session and the perceived constitutional vacuum.
Morocco - Abuse of Child Domestic Workers - Beatings, Little Pay or Rest, Weak Enforcement of Child Labor Laws HRW reports on the prevalence of child domestic labor abuse.
Comment se réconcilier à la modernité? Mohamed Arbi Nisri discusses prospects for social reform in the pursuit of universal human rights.
Etude de cas sur une coordination locale du mouvement du 20 février Chapouly Romain's case study explores the Feb20 movement's alliances, means of mobilization, and interactions with experienced activist groups.
Maroc : Une caravane en hommage aux mineurs marocains du Nord-Pas-de-Calais Former minors, artists, researchers, and students travel together to memorialize the Moroccan minors who worked in 1960s France.
Morocco must answer for human rights abuses in Western Sahara Brahim Dahane reflects on the destruction of the Gdeim Izik protest camp two years ago.
Bilan d’un an de “légitimité”. Droits des femmes : Un statu quo au goût de recul Sana Sbouai reflects on the gains and struggles Tunisian women encountered in the past year.
Tunisia Absent as International Community Plans Military Intervention in Mali Farah Samti interviews political analyst Ahmed Oaneis on Tunisia's unexpected impassivity.
First Post-Revolution Carthage Film Festival Highlights Young Talents’ Creativity This year's Carthage Film Festival runs from November 16-24 and celebrations the role of Tunisian youth in the revolution.
Fric, espionnage : La famille d’un ex-ambassadeur, membre d'un organe anti-corruption, impliquée Former Director of Planning at the Ministry of Transport and his wife charged with large-scale corruption.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
Maghreb Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (October 2012)
Du « péril noir » au Maroc
Tunisian Unionists on Strike in Kasserine Province
Chomsky on the Western Sahara and the “Arab Spring”
New Texts Out Now: Rikke Hostrup Haugbolle and Francesco Cavatorta, Beyond Ghannouchi: Social Changes and Islamism in Tunisia
"Community is Based on Justice"
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- `Abd al-Rahman al-Abnudi (1938-2015)
- Let Us Make a New Beginning: Speech for the Armenian Genocide Centennial Commemoration in Istanbul
- Goodbye, Antoura
- Creating Change through Theater: The Freedom Theater in Jenin: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Nabil Al Raee and Alia Al Rosan
- On Palestinian Cinema: The State of Israel vs. Suha Arraf
- Turkiyeli Ermeniler’den Cagri: Bak Kardesim
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (March-April 2015)
- From Khaled Kaddal's Trapped Sounds
- كلام مجعلص في الفن: حوش المدرسة وسحابة البضان. حوار أنديل مع عادل اسكندر
- New Texts Out Now: Vijay Prashad, Letters to Palestine: Writers Respond to War and Occupation
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 21)
- Too Much Memory? Remembering and Forgetting at the Crossroads of the Centenary of the Armenian Genocide
- Water Management in Jordan in Response to the Syrian Crisis: Between Neoliberal Pressures and Social Tensions
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 21)
- Syria Media Roundup (April 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 13-19)
- Sharjah Biennial 12: Nikhil Chopra's Use like Water
- Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat's Egypt: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Abdullah Al-Arian and Anthony Alessandrini
- Black Feminism Is: Reflections on the Black Feminist Think Tank Symposium
- National Association of Chicana and Chicano Studies Annual Conference Endorses Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions