From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[If the pictures of the slide show are not visible, please click here.]
On 14 November Israel assassinated Hamas military leader Ahmad al-Ja'bari, simultaneously blowing up a truce mediated by Egyptian intelligence officials and accepted by Ja'bari, other Palestinian parties and - according to the Egyptians - Israel as well. In this and a further series of air raids eight more were killed, at least two of them children. Claiming these initial attacks had destroyed the long-range missile capability in the Gaza Strip, Israel's strategy of a short, sharp assault that would remind the Palestinians who makes the rules proved illusory. As Israeli planes pounded the length and breadth of the Gaza Strip with increasing ferocity, causing hundreds of mainly civilian casualties, Palestinian rocket fire - while no match for Israel's - extended as far as Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
On the evening of 16 November the Israeli cabinet approved the call-up of 75,000 military reservists. This is almost eight times as many as Israel deployed during its brutal 2008-2009 assault on the Gaza Strip. During Operation Cast Lead Israel killed 1,400 Palestinians, the majority of them civilian non-combatants. Operation Pillar of Cloud continues. Once again, the extent of Israeli war crimes will reflect the degree to which it is permitted to act with impunity and escape accountability for its actions.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“We are against the elections. [The politicians] are people who promise great programs but who do nothing. It’s only promises.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 17-23)
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interview by France24 on Gaza Disengagement and Its Aftermath