From the Editors
[If the pictures of the slide show are not visible, please click here.]
On 14 November Israel assassinated Hamas military leader Ahmad al-Ja'bari, simultaneously blowing up a truce mediated by Egyptian intelligence officials and accepted by Ja'bari, other Palestinian parties and - according to the Egyptians - Israel as well. In this and a further series of air raids eight more were killed, at least two of them children. Claiming these initial attacks had destroyed the long-range missile capability in the Gaza Strip, Israel's strategy of a short, sharp assault that would remind the Palestinians who makes the rules proved illusory. As Israeli planes pounded the length and breadth of the Gaza Strip with increasing ferocity, causing hundreds of mainly civilian casualties, Palestinian rocket fire - while no match for Israel's - extended as far as Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
On the evening of 16 November the Israeli cabinet approved the call-up of 75,000 military reservists. This is almost eight times as many as Israel deployed during its brutal 2008-2009 assault on the Gaza Strip. During Operation Cast Lead Israel killed 1,400 Palestinians, the majority of them civilian non-combatants. Operation Pillar of Cloud continues. Once again, the extent of Israeli war crimes will reflect the degree to which it is permitted to act with impunity and escape accountability for its actions.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- One Century after World War I and the Balfour Declaration: Palestine and Palestine Studies
- Italian-Palestinian Relations: What Went Wrong?
- From Containment to Counterinsurgency in the Gaza Strip
- Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs
- After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability
- Cities Media Roundup (August 1-30)
- Message From Human Rights Defender Maryam al-Khawaja
- Beard Phobia
- نفس الكتاب".. جرحٌ تعجز الكتابة عن لَأْمِه"
- On the Margins Roundup (August)
- Prominent Human Rights Lawyer Ahmed Seif al-Islam Dies
- An Open Letter
- New Texts Out Now: Erin Runions, The Babylon Complex: Theopolitical Fantasies of War, Sex, and Sovereignty
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 26)
- الخطر السياسي القادم ما بعد العدوان على غزة
- ملف من الأرشيف: محمد شكري
- Syria Media Roundup (August 15)
- Antisemitism and Salaita
- Israel's "Operation Status Quo": A Preliminary Assessment
- Who Are the Insurgents and Counterinsurgents?
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Cities Media Roundup (August 1-30) http://t.co/ISI8eIbCWz
yesterday at 10:39 AM
Sharing the Nile Waters According to Needs http://t.co/AG4M7aZFAA
yesterday at 8:55 AM
After The Ceasefire: Searching for Accountability http://t.co/eJrEl8kG7X
yesterday at 8:15 AM
Useful breakdown of circular logic that can get person on US watchlist & consequences of. http://t.co/rIOht82wdm via @arjunsethi81 @guardian
yesterday at 8:10 AM
RT @MARYAMALKHAWAJA: Overheard guards saying they are going to deport me. They keep saying I am not a citizen, but won't show me any docume…
yesterday at 8:17 PM