From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[If the pictures of the slide show are not visible, please click here.]
On 14 November Israel assassinated Hamas military leader Ahmad al-Ja'bari, simultaneously blowing up a truce mediated by Egyptian intelligence officials and accepted by Ja'bari, other Palestinian parties and - according to the Egyptians - Israel as well. In this and a further series of air raids eight more were killed, at least two of them children. Claiming these initial attacks had destroyed the long-range missile capability in the Gaza Strip, Israel's strategy of a short, sharp assault that would remind the Palestinians who makes the rules proved illusory. As Israeli planes pounded the length and breadth of the Gaza Strip with increasing ferocity, causing hundreds of mainly civilian casualties, Palestinian rocket fire - while no match for Israel's - extended as far as Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
On the evening of 16 November the Israeli cabinet approved the call-up of 75,000 military reservists. This is almost eight times as many as Israel deployed during its brutal 2008-2009 assault on the Gaza Strip. During Operation Cast Lead Israel killed 1,400 Palestinians, the majority of them civilian non-combatants. Operation Pillar of Cloud continues. Once again, the extent of Israeli war crimes will reflect the degree to which it is permitted to act with impunity and escape accountability for its actions.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The long shadow cast by colonial concepts of emergency continues to envelop western legality and post-colonial nation states.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Maha Abdelrahman, Egypt's Long Revolution: Protest Movements and Uprisings
- Le Père Lebret, chroniqueur de l’Etat libanais en construction
- Expropriation, Lawlessness, and Resistance in Yirca's Olive Groves: An Interview with Olcay Bingol and Deniz Bayram
- لم يكن في خطتنا أن ننتصر
- Faculty Support Student-Workers of UAW 2865 in Solidarity with Palestinian Students and Workers
- Syria Media Roundup (November 25)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 25)
- Moving in the Maze with Cairene Artist Qarm Qart
- Larissa Sansour
- Event at GMU: The Double Execution of Saddam Hussein: Diaspora, Media, and Images, with Zainab Saleh
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 17-23)
- A French Atlas of the Gulf States
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 24)
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (23 November)
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)