From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[If the pictures of the slide show are not visible, please click here.]
On 14 November Israel assassinated Hamas military leader Ahmad al-Ja'bari, simultaneously blowing up a truce mediated by Egyptian intelligence officials and accepted by Ja'bari, other Palestinian parties and - according to the Egyptians - Israel as well. In this and a further series of air raids eight more were killed, at least two of them children. Claiming these initial attacks had destroyed the long-range missile capability in the Gaza Strip, Israel's strategy of a short, sharp assault that would remind the Palestinians who makes the rules proved illusory. As Israeli planes pounded the length and breadth of the Gaza Strip with increasing ferocity, causing hundreds of mainly civilian casualties, Palestinian rocket fire - while no match for Israel's - extended as far as Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
On the evening of 16 November the Israeli cabinet approved the call-up of 75,000 military reservists. This is almost eight times as many as Israel deployed during its brutal 2008-2009 assault on the Gaza Strip. During Operation Cast Lead Israel killed 1,400 Palestinians, the majority of them civilian non-combatants. Operation Pillar of Cloud continues. Once again, the extent of Israeli war crimes will reflect the degree to which it is permitted to act with impunity and escape accountability for its actions.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"It is remarkable that the critical link between Islamic art and Modernism would emerge from an art scene that has convinced itself of its “cosmopolitan” nature with endless attempts to gain distance from regional markers, historic or otherwise."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- DARS Media Roundup (June 2015)
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Mehdi Khorrami, Literary Subterfuge and Contemporary Persian Fiction: Who Writes Iran?
- Alif: Aynama-Rtama
- Turkey Media Roundup (June 30)
- Syria Media Roundup (June 30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (June 30)
- The Light Bulb and the Oak Tree: Politics of Space Meets the Ballot Box
- خلايا حيّة
- The Right to Democratic Dissent: A View from Greece
- Egypt Media Roundup (June 29)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (June 22-28)
- Cities Media Roundup (June 2015)
- 'I must save my life and not risk my family’s safety!': Untold Stories of Syrian Women Surviving War (Part 1)
- خطوط مرسومة على خريطة فارغة: حدود العراق وأسطورة الدولة المصطنعة الجزء الأول
- A Dangerous Dualism: The Myth of Two Algerias
- الوقوف على تخوم أرض السواد
- حمص: مدينة اخترعها الله على مهل
- New Texts Out Now: Keith David Watenpaugh, Bread From Stones: The Middle East and the Making of Modern Humanitarianism
- لويس لونا: قصائد مختارة
- الصورة الوحيدة ليسرا