From the Editors
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Joint Statement by Twenty-Two Egyptian Rights Organizations on Morsi Declaration Egyptian rights organizations came together to reject Morsi's constitutional declaration as an attack on the judiciary and rule of law.
America's Native Prisoners of War Aaron Huey's TEDx presentation traces the history of settlers and occupiers that led to the founding of the United States, a history that is reflected in the current events in Palestine.
Bassem Yousef's The Show: Mohamed Mahmoud Street (Video with English Subtitles) "The Show", Bassem Yousef's satirical news program aired on ON TV, aired the following presentation to provide coverage of the events that took place on Cairo's Mohamed Mahmoud Street in November 2011.
Afghanistan: The Long, Hard Road to the 2014 Transition International Crisis Group reports on the many challenges facing Afghanistan as it prepares for the US and UN troop withdrawal in 2014; these hurdles include the bureaucratic confusion surrounding the electoral process, institutional rivalries, and continuing clashes over the role of Islam in the government.
Egypt: A Year of Abuses Against Detained Children Human Rights Watch reports on the over 300 Egyptian children who have been arrested and detained in the course of the protests in Cairo over the last year and the mistreatment that they have faced at the hands of police.
UAE: Cybercrimes Decree Attacks Free Speech Human Rights Watch reports on the new cybercrimes decree, which inclues vaguely worded language to allow government officials to prosecute those who advocate for political reform, among other things.
Palestine at the United Nations: A Vote for Peace and Justice Released in the hours preceding the historic United Nations vote on Palestine's upgrade to Observer State status, the Palestine Liberation Organization reports on the potential consequences of such an upgrade and the history behind the conflict.
Qatar: Outrageous Life Sentence for 'Jasmine Poet' (Video) Amnesty International reports on the sentencing of Qatar poet Mohammed Ibn al-Dheeb, whose publication "Jasmine Poem," which criticizes governments throughout the region.
How Syria Turned Off the Internet Cloudflare reports on the Internet shut down that took place in Syria on 29 November 2012 from 1026 to 1029 (UTC).
Egypt: A New Constitution Mixed on Support of Rights Human Rights Watch reports on the concerns over various rights provisions in the text. of the final draft of Egypt's constitution, approved on 29 November 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Zionism ... has over its history shifted from expropriation of the native Palestinians ... to their exploitation as a cheap labor force ... to their exclusion and marginalization. Any class struggle in Israel, which ignored this oppressive relationship would be, inevitably, a false one.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Open Letter: Urgent Need for Cross-Border Aid for Syrians http://t.co/HnxIdcPxtS
14 hours ago
Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss http://t.co/i3dWLBcToc
21 hours ago
DARS Media Roundup (March 8) http://t.co/0jzZ1mrTay
22 hours ago
Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadınların Bilme Biçimleri http://t.co/1G2BqGHJ8z
22 hours ago
We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March! http://t.co/JcPtoT2tLk
23 hours ago
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss
- DARS Media Roundup (March 8)
- Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadinlarin Bilme Bicimleri
- We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- لماذا لم يثر الصعيد؟ محاولة أولية للفهم ودعوة للنقاش
- عن السيد الجديد والمرأة المصرية
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6)
- قصائد المهمّشين
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2014)
- The (Ir)relevance of Academia? Academics Lash Back at Kristof for NYT Column
- Les quartiers populaires et les printemps arabes: Elements pour une approche renouvelee
- Buradan bir cikis var mi? Ya da neden HDP’deyim?
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Muhammad Ali on his Frontline Documentary "Syria's Second Front"
- Syria Media Roundup (March 4)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 4)
- Turkey Media Roundup (March 4)
- Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon: Health, Access, and Contributions
- Harvard Event: The History of Syrian Revolt: Structural Causes and Dynamics (4 March)
- الأنبار بين مفهومين: الحرب والسلام