From the Editors
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Joint Statement by Twenty-Two Egyptian Rights Organizations on Morsi Declaration Egyptian rights organizations came together to reject Morsi's constitutional declaration as an attack on the judiciary and rule of law.
America's Native Prisoners of War Aaron Huey's TEDx presentation traces the history of settlers and occupiers that led to the founding of the United States, a history that is reflected in the current events in Palestine.
Bassem Yousef's The Show: Mohamed Mahmoud Street (Video with English Subtitles) "The Show", Bassem Yousef's satirical news program aired on ON TV, aired the following presentation to provide coverage of the events that took place on Cairo's Mohamed Mahmoud Street in November 2011.
Afghanistan: The Long, Hard Road to the 2014 Transition International Crisis Group reports on the many challenges facing Afghanistan as it prepares for the US and UN troop withdrawal in 2014; these hurdles include the bureaucratic confusion surrounding the electoral process, institutional rivalries, and continuing clashes over the role of Islam in the government.
Egypt: A Year of Abuses Against Detained Children Human Rights Watch reports on the over 300 Egyptian children who have been arrested and detained in the course of the protests in Cairo over the last year and the mistreatment that they have faced at the hands of police.
UAE: Cybercrimes Decree Attacks Free Speech Human Rights Watch reports on the new cybercrimes decree, which inclues vaguely worded language to allow government officials to prosecute those who advocate for political reform, among other things.
Palestine at the United Nations: A Vote for Peace and Justice Released in the hours preceding the historic United Nations vote on Palestine's upgrade to Observer State status, the Palestine Liberation Organization reports on the potential consequences of such an upgrade and the history behind the conflict.
Qatar: Outrageous Life Sentence for 'Jasmine Poet' (Video) Amnesty International reports on the sentencing of Qatar poet Mohammed Ibn al-Dheeb, whose publication "Jasmine Poem," which criticizes governments throughout the region.
How Syria Turned Off the Internet Cloudflare reports on the Internet shut down that took place in Syria on 29 November 2012 from 1026 to 1029 (UTC).
Egypt: A New Constitution Mixed on Support of Rights Human Rights Watch reports on the concerns over various rights provisions in the text. of the final draft of Egypt's constitution, approved on 29 November 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
“Depicting the pyramids as [...] “Egypt” perpetuates a romanticized conception of Egyptians[…] Using this image is a missed opportunity to convey the uncertainty facing many Egyptians as well as a perpetuation of a false Egyptian identity.”click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza http://t.co/oo9MztEZEr
10 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997... http://t.co/CBbMAEyIZ6
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut http://t.co/qWkYjpnv73
yesterday at 8:58 AM
Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World http://t.co/hYEOUmJrSx
yesterday at 5:53 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese