From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Joint Statement by Twenty-Two Egyptian Rights Organizations on Morsi Declaration Egyptian rights organizations came together to reject Morsi's constitutional declaration as an attack on the judiciary and rule of law.
America's Native Prisoners of War Aaron Huey's TEDx presentation traces the history of settlers and occupiers that led to the founding of the United States, a history that is reflected in the current events in Palestine.
Bassem Yousef's The Show: Mohamed Mahmoud Street (Video with English Subtitles) "The Show", Bassem Yousef's satirical news program aired on ON TV, aired the following presentation to provide coverage of the events that took place on Cairo's Mohamed Mahmoud Street in November 2011.
Afghanistan: The Long, Hard Road to the 2014 Transition International Crisis Group reports on the many challenges facing Afghanistan as it prepares for the US and UN troop withdrawal in 2014; these hurdles include the bureaucratic confusion surrounding the electoral process, institutional rivalries, and continuing clashes over the role of Islam in the government.
Egypt: A Year of Abuses Against Detained Children Human Rights Watch reports on the over 300 Egyptian children who have been arrested and detained in the course of the protests in Cairo over the last year and the mistreatment that they have faced at the hands of police.
UAE: Cybercrimes Decree Attacks Free Speech Human Rights Watch reports on the new cybercrimes decree, which inclues vaguely worded language to allow government officials to prosecute those who advocate for political reform, among other things.
Palestine at the United Nations: A Vote for Peace and Justice Released in the hours preceding the historic United Nations vote on Palestine's upgrade to Observer State status, the Palestine Liberation Organization reports on the potential consequences of such an upgrade and the history behind the conflict.
Qatar: Outrageous Life Sentence for 'Jasmine Poet' (Video) Amnesty International reports on the sentencing of Qatar poet Mohammed Ibn al-Dheeb, whose publication "Jasmine Poem," which criticizes governments throughout the region.
How Syria Turned Off the Internet Cloudflare reports on the Internet shut down that took place in Syria on 29 November 2012 from 1026 to 1029 (UTC).
Egypt: A New Constitution Mixed on Support of Rights Human Rights Watch reports on the concerns over various rights provisions in the text. of the final draft of Egypt's constitution, approved on 29 November 2012.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“If imperialism is the driving force of neoliberalism, based on plundering national wealth for the interest of a small group of citizens and a handful of large companies, then the Syrian regime is guilty of this sin...”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Composer Maurice Louca on Salute the Parrot
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 19-25)
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (November-December 2014)
- January Culture Bouquet
- Zajal on Arak
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Ramparts
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Jerusalem, Time Embodied
- ‘A Distinctly French Universalism’: Translating Laïcité after Charlie
- الإخوان من الجماعة إلى الفرقة
- تقييم حالة الإعلام الخاص فى مصر
- Mubarakism on Steroids: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Hesham Sallam Interviewed on the Anniversary of the Revolution
- The Revolutionary Practice of Endurance
- Is Cairene Graffiti Losing Momentum?
- “Old People Are Not Revolutionaries!” Labor Struggles Between Precarity and Istiqrar in a Factory Occupation in Egypt
- Will the Counter-Revolution Continue?
- Charlie Hebdo ve Cumhuriyetin Sinirlari
- Visualizing Impact: The Long Run & On the Brink
- Call for Submissions: Palestine Yearbook of International Law
- Syria Media Roundup (January 19)
- مجلة الدراسات الفلسطينية العدد 101: تطورات القدس ومسألة السلفية الجهادية