From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
This week, Egyptians marked one year since the loss, community, and resilience of the “Battle of Mohamed Mahmoud Street.” In doing so, they faced fresh rounds of US-made tear gas from Egyptian security forces. At times, this tear gas was used against protestors calling for justice and accountability for those that were gassed, beaten, and murdered on the same street. At other times, quite literally as these words are being written, tear gas is being used against mobilizations in opposition to what many are calling President Morsi’s “dictatorial decrees.”
To provide accessible coverage of the events that took place exactly one year ago, War Resisters League has produced an English-subtitled version of an episode of Bassem Youssef’s popular satirical news program “The Show” called Tahrir Square and Mohamed Mahmoud Street, originally released on 26 November 2011 on ON TV. The below English-subtitled version is being released on Jadaliyya. It was co-produced by Ali Issa and Kimber Heinz, who extend their appreciation to Samah Selim for the brilliant translation. For more on War Resisters League’s ongoing campaign against tear gas, visit http://facingteargas.tumblr.com or e-mail them at email@example.com.
[If the English substitles do not appear automatically in the video below, please click the "CC" button on the bottom tool bar of the video.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"ce qui frappe ici est la combinaison complexe d'un urbanisme contrôlé et autoritaire face à une pratique de la démocratie participative et des initiatives des habitants à l'échelle locale."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- مدن الحداثة
- Palestine Media Roundup (September 23– 30)
- The Palestine Exception to Free Speech: A Movement Under Attack in the US
- خمسة أسئلة عن التنوع البيبليوغرافي
- DARS Media Roundup (September 2015)
- LCPS Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Ziad Abu-Rish on Electricity in Early Independence Lebanon
- NPR's 'Here and Now' Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Rosie Bsheer About Redevelopment in Mecca
- Cities Media Roundup (September 2015)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 30)
- Exploring an Agenda for Active Citizenship: Selected Conference Presentations from STATUS/الوضع
- مهرجان واشنطن العاصمة للسينما والفنون الفلسطينية في دورته الخامسة
- New Texts Out Now: ABE Journal: Architecture Beyond Europe
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 29)
- What Do We Talk About When We Talk About Political Economy?
- The Arab Center for Architecture (ACA): Interview with George Arbid
- The Ongoing, Steady Gains of Morocco's Islamist Party
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 21-27)
- Roznama 4: A Competition for Upcoming Egyptian Artists
- Reimagining the University in a Time of Crisis – Every Campus a Refuge Campaign
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 28)