From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
This week, Egyptians marked one year since the loss, community, and resilience of the “Battle of Mohamed Mahmoud Street.” In doing so, they faced fresh rounds of US-made tear gas from Egyptian security forces. At times, this tear gas was used against protestors calling for justice and accountability for those that were gassed, beaten, and murdered on the same street. At other times, quite literally as these words are being written, tear gas is being used against mobilizations in opposition to what many are calling President Morsi’s “dictatorial decrees.”
To provide accessible coverage of the events that took place exactly one year ago, War Resisters League has produced an English-subtitled version of an episode of Bassem Youssef’s popular satirical news program “The Show” called Tahrir Square and Mohamed Mahmoud Street, originally released on 26 November 2011 on ON TV. The below English-subtitled version is being released on Jadaliyya. It was co-produced by Ali Issa and Kimber Heinz, who extend their appreciation to Samah Selim for the brilliant translation. For more on War Resisters League’s ongoing campaign against tear gas, visit http://facingteargas.tumblr.com or e-mail them at email@example.com.
[If the English substitles do not appear automatically in the video below, please click the "CC" button on the bottom tool bar of the video.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"We scholars have not given due attention to the role of the state in fashioning our lives and world-views. We have taken the state for granted, as if it were almost a natural phenomenon."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Cities Media Roundup (February 2015)
- Minyan Village Mourns: A Photographic Essay
- Burj el Imam: Music by Sharif Sehnaoui, Raed Yassin and Alan Bishop
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.1 is Live!
- New Texts Out Now: Jonathan A.C. Brown, Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (February 24)
- Beyond Authenticity: ISIS and the Islamic Legal Tradition
- A New Secularism?
- Turkey Media Roundup (February 24)
- Egypt Media Roundup (February 23)
- Sacrificing Humans
- Cornell University Event: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Bassam Haddad and US Ambassador Dennis Ross Debate US Policy in the Middle East (3 March)
- Syria Media Roundup (February 16)
- Islam Kamal: Filmmaker from Alexandria
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 16-22)
- 'The Thing Is to Be Light as Air': An Interview with Mai Al-Nakib
- Open Letter: Racism, Militarism, Poverty: From Ferguson to Palestine
- موسى أساريد: أربعة نصوص
- الجرف الصامد والدروع البشريّة
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (21 February)