From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
This week, Egyptians marked one year since the loss, community, and resilience of the “Battle of Mohamed Mahmoud Street.” In doing so, they faced fresh rounds of US-made tear gas from Egyptian security forces. At times, this tear gas was used against protestors calling for justice and accountability for those that were gassed, beaten, and murdered on the same street. At other times, quite literally as these words are being written, tear gas is being used against mobilizations in opposition to what many are calling President Morsi’s “dictatorial decrees.”
To provide accessible coverage of the events that took place exactly one year ago, War Resisters League has produced an English-subtitled version of an episode of Bassem Youssef’s popular satirical news program “The Show” called Tahrir Square and Mohamed Mahmoud Street, originally released on 26 November 2011 on ON TV. The below English-subtitled version is being released on Jadaliyya. It was co-produced by Ali Issa and Kimber Heinz, who extend their appreciation to Samah Selim for the brilliant translation. For more on War Resisters League’s ongoing campaign against tear gas, visit http://facingteargas.tumblr.com or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[If the English substitles do not appear automatically in the video below, please click the "CC" button on the bottom tool bar of the video.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Said’s legacy is one that insists on the necessity of solidarity, and of linking up various forms of struggle. But it is also one that deepens our understanding of solidarity by noting that solidarity and criticism, sometimes taken to be opposites, are in fact closely linked...click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (January 27)
- Asli Bali on Iranian-US Nuclear Negotiations and What Republican Invite to Netanyahu Means
- Turkey Media Roundup (January 27)
- Palestinian Authority Security Cooperation and the Internationalization of Occupation: The Case of Ahmad Sa’adat
- Egypt Media Roundup (January 26)
- Composer Maurice Louca on Salute the Parrot
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 19-25)
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (November-December 2014)
- STATUS/الوضع: Episode -3
- January Culture Bouquet
- Zajal on Arak
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Ramparts
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Jerusalem, Time Embodied
- ‘A Distinctly French Universalism’: Translating Laïcité after Charlie
- الإخوان من الجماعة إلى الفرقة
- تقييم حالة الإعلام الخاص فى مصر
- Mubarakism on Steroids: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Hesham Sallam Interviewed on the Anniversary of the Revolution
- The Revolutionary Practice of Endurance
- Is Cairene Graffiti Losing Momentum?
- “Old People Are Not Revolutionaries!” Labor Struggles Between Precarity and Istiqrar in a Factory Occupation in Egypt