From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
This week, Egyptians marked one year since the loss, community, and resilience of the “Battle of Mohamed Mahmoud Street.” In doing so, they faced fresh rounds of US-made tear gas from Egyptian security forces. At times, this tear gas was used against protestors calling for justice and accountability for those that were gassed, beaten, and murdered on the same street. At other times, quite literally as these words are being written, tear gas is being used against mobilizations in opposition to what many are calling President Morsi’s “dictatorial decrees.”
To provide accessible coverage of the events that took place exactly one year ago, War Resisters League has produced an English-subtitled version of an episode of Bassem Youssef’s popular satirical news program “The Show” called Tahrir Square and Mohamed Mahmoud Street, originally released on 26 November 2011 on ON TV. The below English-subtitled version is being released on Jadaliyya. It was co-produced by Ali Issa and Kimber Heinz, who extend their appreciation to Samah Selim for the brilliant translation. For more on War Resisters League’s ongoing campaign against tear gas, visit http://facingteargas.tumblr.com or e-mail them at email@example.com.
[If the English substitles do not appear automatically in the video below, please click the "CC" button on the bottom tool bar of the video.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
الآن على الرأسمالية العالمية مواجهة واقع جديد: دولار أضعف بما لذلك من تداعيات هائلة على التجارة العالمية وعلى التوازن الهش الأمريكي الصينيclick | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- A Muslim Future to Come?
- Thanksgiving: A Jadaliyya Reading List
- Iraqi Odyssey in NYC
- دمشق 2013
- الهوامش التي نعيش فيها
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 24)
- A Moveable Feast? Reflections on the French Coverage of the Paris Attacks
- Palestine Media Roundup (November 19 - 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 16-22)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 26)
- The Diaspora, Debt, and Dollarization: Unraveling Lebanon’s Resilience to a Sovereign Debt Crisis
- في العلاقة الشائكة بين التاريخ والتطرّف
- New Texts Out Now: Safinaz El Tarouty, Businessmen, Clientelism, and Authoritarianism in Egypt
- Anthropologists Speak Out for Justice in Palestine
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.3 is Live! Celebrating Our One-Year Anniversary
- يكفيني أن ألمس ورقة خضراء حتى أرى
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 23)
- عصفورية إلى الأبد
- Affirming the Rights of Students to Organize, Protest, and Resist (City University of New York)
- Terror Everywhere, Humanity Nowhere