From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Regional and International Relations
Qatar hosts climate summit amid criticism A news report on the eighteenth United Nations Climate Change Conference held in Doha, on Al-Jazeera English.
Qatar hosts critical climate talks A news report on the opening of the climate summit, on Al-Jazeera English.
Doha 2012: US claims ‘enormous’ efforts to cut carbon emissions Fiona Harvey reports on the objectives of the summit, in The Guardian.
Reports and Opinions
Saudi Arabia criticised over text alerts tracking women’s movements Luke Harding writes on a new technology introduced that informs male guardians of their female relatives’ travels, in The Guardian.
Repression in Bahrain
Clashes at protest hub in Bahraini capital A news report on clashes between the police and protesters at the end of Ashoura, in The Independent.
Crisis in Yemen
Trouble again in the north An article on the Houthis and the war with the government in Saada, in The Economist.
Protests and the Election Law in Kuwait
Kuwait emir’s change to election rules stirs signs of Arab spring Ian Black examines the implications of the ongoing protests for the election in Kuwait on Saturday, in The Guardian.
Kuwait’s democracy is being undermined – that’s why its people are protesting A statement by Musallam Al-Barrak, a Kuwaiti opposition leader and former MP, on the current political scene in Kuwait, in The Guardian.
Human Rights Watch
Bahrain: Promises Unkept, Rights Still Violated A statement by the organization condemning the Bahraini government’s failure to implement the recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry.
Markets and Business
Abu Dhabi: Where are the jobs for the boys? An article on the future repercussions of the government’s policy to find jobs for unemployed Emirates in order to curb social unrest, in The Economist.
Andrew WK forced to cancel ‘world peace’ performance in Bahrain Matt Williams report on the State Department’s decision to rescind the rock star’s invitation to perform in Bahrain, in The Guardian.
البحرين ٢٠١٤: السيناريوهات المحتملة للتسوية
Abbad Bousafwan writes on possible solutions for the Bahraini situation in 2014.
اليمن: حلم الاستقلال بين تباينات الداخل والضغوط الدولية: أي مستقبل لطموحات الجنوبيين؟
Joumana Farhat reflects on South Yemen's forty-fifth anniversary of independence from Great Britain.
السعودية: تهاوي منظومة الريع مقابل الولاء
Madawi al-Rasheed criticizes the common assumption that oil income is a major factor in people's loyalty to the Saudi state.
أفراد الأسرة الحاكمة يزورون العاهل السعودي بالمستشفى بعد جراحة ناجحة
A news report on the royal family's visit to King Abdullah after a successful surgery.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"In May 2012, over 2000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees went on hunger strike.. they called for an end to the practice of administrative detention, where Palestinians are held without charge or trial for months or even years."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Derailing Democracy?: The Anti-Boycott Playbook Explained
- Five Years After the Arab Uprisings: An Interview with Asef Bayat
- Statement by International Committee for the the Red Cross on Indiscriminate Violence in Aleppo
- Jeremy Corbyn Hasn’t Got an “Anti-Semitism Problem,” His Opponents Do
- Palestine Media Roundup (April 29)
- القدس 2016: إجراءات تهويدية تُبقي عوامل الانفجار قائمة
- الحضارة بين عقل الأفندي والأكاديمي
- أفكار سريعة: ماريا فانتابيه حول أكراد سورية
- فلسطين-إسرائيل: تفكيك الاستعمار الآن والسلام لاحقاً
- The Human Right to Dominate: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Nicola Perugini
- Syria Media Roundup (April 27)
- New Texts Out Now: Ala'a Shehabi and Marc Owen Jones, Bahrain's Uprising: Resistance and Repression in the Gulf
- Pro-AKP Media Figures Continue to Target Academics for Peace
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 26)
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 26)
- Syrian Refugees and the Map of a Dangerous Journey: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Alia Malek
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 18-24)
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 25)
- Critical Readings in Political Economy