From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Monday night of every week.]
Regional and International Relations
Qatar hosts climate summit amid criticism A news report on the eighteenth United Nations Climate Change Conference held in Doha, on Al-Jazeera English.
Qatar hosts critical climate talks A news report on the opening of the climate summit, on Al-Jazeera English.
Doha 2012: US claims ‘enormous’ efforts to cut carbon emissions Fiona Harvey reports on the objectives of the summit, in The Guardian.
Reports and Opinions
Saudi Arabia criticised over text alerts tracking women’s movements Luke Harding writes on a new technology introduced that informs male guardians of their female relatives’ travels, in The Guardian.
Repression in Bahrain
Clashes at protest hub in Bahraini capital A news report on clashes between the police and protesters at the end of Ashoura, in The Independent.
Crisis in Yemen
Trouble again in the north An article on the Houthis and the war with the government in Saada, in The Economist.
Protests and the Election Law in Kuwait
Kuwait emir’s change to election rules stirs signs of Arab spring Ian Black examines the implications of the ongoing protests for the election in Kuwait on Saturday, in The Guardian.
Kuwait’s democracy is being undermined – that’s why its people are protesting A statement by Musallam Al-Barrak, a Kuwaiti opposition leader and former MP, on the current political scene in Kuwait, in The Guardian.
Human Rights Watch
Bahrain: Promises Unkept, Rights Still Violated A statement by the organization condemning the Bahraini government’s failure to implement the recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry.
Markets and Business
Abu Dhabi: Where are the jobs for the boys? An article on the future repercussions of the government’s policy to find jobs for unemployed Emirates in order to curb social unrest, in The Economist.
Andrew WK forced to cancel ‘world peace’ performance in Bahrain Matt Williams report on the State Department’s decision to rescind the rock star’s invitation to perform in Bahrain, in The Guardian.
البحرين ٢٠١٤: السيناريوهات المحتملة للتسوية
Abbad Bousafwan writes on possible solutions for the Bahraini situation in 2014.
اليمن: حلم الاستقلال بين تباينات الداخل والضغوط الدولية: أي مستقبل لطموحات الجنوبيين؟
Joumana Farhat reflects on South Yemen's forty-fifth anniversary of independence from Great Britain.
السعودية: تهاوي منظومة الريع مقابل الولاء
Madawi al-Rasheed criticizes the common assumption that oil income is a major factor in people's loyalty to the Saudi state.
أفراد الأسرة الحاكمة يزورون العاهل السعودي بالمستشفى بعد جراحة ناجحة
A news report on the royal family's visit to King Abdullah after a successful surgery.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"There is no neutral ground to stand on, and any space for critical distance has narrowed. The stakes are enormous; differences of perspective now feed into matters of life and death... Nuance invites accusations of complicity. To evoke a perception is to be associated with it."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Cities Media Roundup (August 2015)
- Israel’s Defeat on the Iran Deal
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde