From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Regional and International Relations
Qatar hosts climate summit amid criticism A news report on the eighteenth United Nations Climate Change Conference held in Doha, on Al-Jazeera English.
Qatar hosts critical climate talks A news report on the opening of the climate summit, on Al-Jazeera English.
Doha 2012: US claims ‘enormous’ efforts to cut carbon emissions Fiona Harvey reports on the objectives of the summit, in The Guardian.
Reports and Opinions
Saudi Arabia criticised over text alerts tracking women’s movements Luke Harding writes on a new technology introduced that informs male guardians of their female relatives’ travels, in The Guardian.
Repression in Bahrain
Clashes at protest hub in Bahraini capital A news report on clashes between the police and protesters at the end of Ashoura, in The Independent.
Crisis in Yemen
Trouble again in the north An article on the Houthis and the war with the government in Saada, in The Economist.
Protests and the Election Law in Kuwait
Kuwait emir’s change to election rules stirs signs of Arab spring Ian Black examines the implications of the ongoing protests for the election in Kuwait on Saturday, in The Guardian.
Kuwait’s democracy is being undermined – that’s why its people are protesting A statement by Musallam Al-Barrak, a Kuwaiti opposition leader and former MP, on the current political scene in Kuwait, in The Guardian.
Human Rights Watch
Bahrain: Promises Unkept, Rights Still Violated A statement by the organization condemning the Bahraini government’s failure to implement the recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry.
Markets and Business
Abu Dhabi: Where are the jobs for the boys? An article on the future repercussions of the government’s policy to find jobs for unemployed Emirates in order to curb social unrest, in The Economist.
Andrew WK forced to cancel ‘world peace’ performance in Bahrain Matt Williams report on the State Department’s decision to rescind the rock star’s invitation to perform in Bahrain, in The Guardian.
البحرين ٢٠١٤: السيناريوهات المحتملة للتسوية
Abbad Bousafwan writes on possible solutions for the Bahraini situation in 2014.
اليمن: حلم الاستقلال بين تباينات الداخل والضغوط الدولية: أي مستقبل لطموحات الجنوبيين؟
Joumana Farhat reflects on South Yemen's forty-fifth anniversary of independence from Great Britain.
السعودية: تهاوي منظومة الريع مقابل الولاء
Madawi al-Rasheed criticizes the common assumption that oil income is a major factor in people's loyalty to the Saudi state.
أفراد الأسرة الحاكمة يزورون العاهل السعودي بالمستشفى بعد جراحة ناجحة
A news report on the royal family's visit to King Abdullah after a successful surgery.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
I wanted to lay bare the constructedness of some central narratives that Europe has used to write its own history as well as the history of Islam — narratives that are still present today.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Open Letter: Urgent Need for Cross-Border Aid for Syrians http://t.co/HnxIdcPxtS
yesterday at 4:23 PM
Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss http://t.co/i3dWLBcToc
on Saturday 08 March at 09:00 AM
DARS Media Roundup (March 8) http://t.co/0jzZ1mrTay
on Saturday 08 March at 08:10 AM
Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadınların Bilme Biçimleri http://t.co/1G2BqGHJ8z
on Saturday 08 March at 07:59 AM
We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March! http://t.co/JcPtoT2tLk
on Saturday 08 March at 07:42 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss is Just a Kiss
- DARS Media Roundup (March 8)
- Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadinlarin Bilme Bicimleri
- We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- لماذا لم يثر الصعيد؟ محاولة أولية للفهم ودعوة للنقاش
- عن السيد الجديد والمرأة المصرية
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6)
- قصائد المهمّشين
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2014)
- The (Ir)relevance of Academia? Academics Lash Back at Kristof for NYT Column
- Les quartiers populaires et les printemps arabes: Elements pour une approche renouvelee
- Buradan bir cikis var mi? Ya da neden HDP’deyim?
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Muhammad Ali on his Frontline Documentary "Syria's Second Front"
- Syria Media Roundup (March 4)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 4)
- Turkey Media Roundup (March 4)
- Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon: Health, Access, and Contributions
- Harvard Event: The History of Syrian Revolt: Structural Causes and Dynamics (4 March)
- الأنبار بين مفهومين: الحرب والسلام