From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Monday night of every week.]
Regional and International Relations
Qatar hosts climate summit amid criticism A news report on the eighteenth United Nations Climate Change Conference held in Doha, on Al-Jazeera English.
Qatar hosts critical climate talks A news report on the opening of the climate summit, on Al-Jazeera English.
Doha 2012: US claims ‘enormous’ efforts to cut carbon emissions Fiona Harvey reports on the objectives of the summit, in The Guardian.
Reports and Opinions
Saudi Arabia criticised over text alerts tracking women’s movements Luke Harding writes on a new technology introduced that informs male guardians of their female relatives’ travels, in The Guardian.
Repression in Bahrain
Clashes at protest hub in Bahraini capital A news report on clashes between the police and protesters at the end of Ashoura, in The Independent.
Crisis in Yemen
Trouble again in the north An article on the Houthis and the war with the government in Saada, in The Economist.
Protests and the Election Law in Kuwait
Kuwait emir’s change to election rules stirs signs of Arab spring Ian Black examines the implications of the ongoing protests for the election in Kuwait on Saturday, in The Guardian.
Kuwait’s democracy is being undermined – that’s why its people are protesting A statement by Musallam Al-Barrak, a Kuwaiti opposition leader and former MP, on the current political scene in Kuwait, in The Guardian.
Human Rights Watch
Bahrain: Promises Unkept, Rights Still Violated A statement by the organization condemning the Bahraini government’s failure to implement the recommendations of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry.
Markets and Business
Abu Dhabi: Where are the jobs for the boys? An article on the future repercussions of the government’s policy to find jobs for unemployed Emirates in order to curb social unrest, in The Economist.
Andrew WK forced to cancel ‘world peace’ performance in Bahrain Matt Williams report on the State Department’s decision to rescind the rock star’s invitation to perform in Bahrain, in The Guardian.
البحرين ٢٠١٤: السيناريوهات المحتملة للتسوية
Abbad Bousafwan writes on possible solutions for the Bahraini situation in 2014.
اليمن: حلم الاستقلال بين تباينات الداخل والضغوط الدولية: أي مستقبل لطموحات الجنوبيين؟
Joumana Farhat reflects on South Yemen's forty-fifth anniversary of independence from Great Britain.
السعودية: تهاوي منظومة الريع مقابل الولاء
Madawi al-Rasheed criticizes the common assumption that oil income is a major factor in people's loyalty to the Saudi state.
أفراد الأسرة الحاكمة يزورون العاهل السعودي بالمستشفى بعد جراحة ناجحة
A news report on the royal family's visit to King Abdullah after a successful surgery.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
"The revolution hasn’t ended [...] Morsi and the MBs have opened the pandora’s box, and the coming days will only exacerbate their contradictions. And it’s a process [from which] the left cannot be separate [...]"click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Tadween Roundup: News and Analysis from the Publishing/Academic World
- Syria Media Roundup (May 23)
- Asfari Institute Inaugural Conference: New Spaces of Civil Society Activism in the Arab World (Beirut, 23-24 May)
- Women's Rights in the Egyptian Constitution: (Neo)Liberalism's Family Values
- مسخ الذاكرة
- New Texts Out Now: Louise Cainkar, Global Arab World Migrations and Diasporas
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 21)
- إعادة الحساب الدائمة: إساءة فهم سوريا بعد سنتين
- From al-Araqib to Susiya: Forced Displacement of Palestinians on Both Sides of the Green Line
- كارل ماركس واليسار في لبنان
- Picturing Algeria
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 13-19)
- Jadaliyya's Occupation, Intervention, and Law Page Resonates
- Al Jazeera Management Orders Joseph Massad Article Pulled in an Act of Pro-Israel Censorship
- سعادت حسن منتو: قصة قصيرة
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي