From the Editors
The Palestinian UN bid for non-member observer status will certainly pass today as the majority of UN member states have expressed their support for the initiative. The positive vote will do little to alter the course of Israel's ongoing settler-colonial expansion in the West Bank, or its racially motivated policies aimed at the forced population transfer of non-Jewish Palestinians throughout Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territory. Still, the significance of Palestine's bolstered status is three-fold.
First, it diplomatically affirms the Palestinian cause for self-determination as a just one amongst the community of nations, thereby rebuffing Israel's insistence that the conflict is a national security issue. Unfortunately, those states will not place the necessary pressure upon Israel to thwart its structurally violent practices.
Second, it saves the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Authority from the specter of complete irrelevance at a moment when Hamas has emerged as a viable political player in the region together with the admission that the peace process has failed. This will not only benefit the Palestinian Authority, but also Israel, whose occupation costs have been significantly reduced thanks to the PA's security apparatus as well as the United States, which has been its primary financier.
Finally, the new status will allow Palestine to appeal for ICC jurisdiction, thereby enabling it to hold Israel to account for its alleged war crimes committed in, now two, Gaza operations, as well as its settlement colonial project in the West Bank.
The bid will not, however, work to salvage the two-state solution, which has long been declared dead. Israel has civilian and military control over sixty-two percent of the West Bank; the Apartheid Wall has further confiscated another thirteen percent of the West Bank; and the Jewish-Israeli settler population now numbers six hundred thousand. East Jerusalem, which is part of the West Bank, has been the site of rapid ethnic cleansing where Israel is explicitly pursuing a Judaization campaign. Meanwhile, Gaza is territorially separated, isolated, and besieged. The World Health Organization says it will be unlivable by 2020.
The next steps forward include dealing with the one-state reality. There exists one political entity between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean. This area is home to an inextricably linked population made up of Jewish Israelis as well as Muslim- and Christian-Palestinians, which the Israeli state distinguishes between based on religion, irrespective of their specific territorial location within Israel or the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT).
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Despite the ultimately positive result in Khader Adnan's case, it remains that the fate of about 310 administrative detainees is determined by a shady and inaccessible domain ... with only the Shin Bet (General Security Services, Shabak) holding the keys.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Anthony Alessandrini, Frantz Fanon and the Future of Cultural Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 19)
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 18)
- بداية ونهاية.. نحن نقص عليكم أسوأ القصص
- Linking Violence In Solidarity: Ferguson, Gaza, and the US State
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August11-17)
- من كتاب "العالمية الأوروبية: خطاب السلطة" للمفكر وعالم الاجتماع إمانويل ولورستين
- جامعة أميركية توقف تعيين بروفيسور أصوله فلسطينية لانتقاده إسرائيل
- لا أسئلة شائكة في بيت غسّان كنفاني: آني وليلى في نضال الماضي والحاضر
- Egypt: Rab’a Killings Likely Crimes Against Humanity
- Multimedia and Publications Editor Position Now Open
- Persian Translation of Maya Mikdashi's 'Can Palestinian Men be Victims'
- Statement from Free Speech and Constitutional Law Scholars in Support of Steven Salaita
- Chronicles of a Death Foretold: The Kerry Negotiations
- The Terror Metanarrative and the Rabaa Massacre
- On 14 August, A Belated Obituary for Bassem Mohsen
- Press Release: Wear Black to Show Sympathy and Support for the People of Gaza
- The Wonder Box
- Scholars Pledge to Boycott UIUC Over the Firing of Steven Salaita
- ما بعد الناصرية الجزء الثاني
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
@sakkeh3arja @im_PULSE Hate to break it to قلق but we are working on other matters too, and still addressed all your anger/insults, & more.
16 hours ago
@sakkeh3arja Not at all. Yourself and Pulse, as well as others, will be invited to join an e-roundtable to address this properly.
16 hours ago
@sakkeh3arja just saw this comment. shows you're really angry, and incorrect in this assumption/tweet.
16 hours ago
@sakkeh3arja no denials. it's for all to see, and follow. despite ur accusations and insults, we engaged. must sign off for real now.
16 hours ago
@sakkeh3arja no changing of story. the emphasis is on DC because of its gravity/relations/power, even if it happens elsewhere. not odd.
16 hours ago