From the Editors
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The upshot of all this is to say, alongside a veritable chorus of academics, activists, policymakers, and citizens in Lebanon and beyond, that sectarianism has been forged over time through specific institutional and discursive practices and, therefore, could be modified or undone.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- "A Slaughter of Innocents": Democracy Now! Interview with American Jewish Leader Henry Siegman
- A Teenager Contemplates Life and War in the Gaza Strip
- The Other Israelis
- Seam Zones, Security Zones, Death Zones, and Walls
- The Economic Challenges of the Gaza War: Relief and Reconstruction but No Palestinian Development
- Zionism, BDS, and American Muslim Leadership
- Iranian Intellectuals, Artists and Social Activists' Statement on the Recent Conflict in Palestine
- Racism is the Foundation of Israel's Operation Protective Edge
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- CNN Discusses the Palestinian Perspective with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani
- New Texts Out Now: Muriam Haleh Davis, The Afterlives of the Algerian Revolution
- Once Again on Caesarism: Continuing the Debate with Joel Beinin
- Malak Helmy: Lost Referents of Some Attraction
- The FBI’s War on Fake Terrorism
- فصل من رواية نوكيا
- A City-Sized Prison-House
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 29)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 29)
- Cities Media Roundup (July 1-28)
- Isolating Gaza
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
"A Slaughter of Innocents": Democracy Now! Interview with American Jewish Leader Henry Siegman http://t.co/EFDdRvzxI4
17 hours ago
A Teenager Contemplates Life and War in the Gaza Strip http://t.co/hHmIGpXnlP
18 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Muriam Haleh Davis, The Afterlives of the Algerian Revolution http://t.co/QZshLc17Yd
20 hours ago
The Other Israelis http://t.co/BGlSU25ihn
21 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Muriam Haleh Davis, The Afterlives of the Algerian Revolution http://t.co/GpIIhkcjXl
21 hours ago