From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
... around the world, we have seen how tyrants, no longer able to hide behind the empty rhetoric of “democracy” ... have fallen back on brute violence. We are seeing precisely the same thing on our university campuses.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Dispatches from the 2015 Palestinian Festival of Literature
- Press Freedom on Trial in Turkey: A Statement from BirGun
- Beyond Blame: Troubling the Semiotic Ideology of Muslim Passion
- New Texts Out Now: Olfa Lamloum and Mohamed Ben Zina, Jeunes de Douar Hicher et d’Ettadhamen. Une enquête sociologique
- Letter of Support by Colleagues and Personal Friends of Emad Shahin
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (27 May)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (May 26)
- Turkey Media Roundup (May 26)
- Syria Media Roundup (May 25)
- Egypt Media Roundup (May 25)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (May 18-24)
- فصل من رواية أسد البصرة
- Sharjah Biennial 12: Uriel Barthelemi's Souls' Landscapes
- Not Much Special in UN Middle East Missions
- إعادة ابتكار فلسطين: السينما من أجل السلام في جنين
- The Armenian Genocide and the Politics of Knowledge
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (March-April 2015)
- Naema’s Office is Bleeding
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (April-May 2015)
- We Are All Uncomfortable: On Academic Boycott & What Is Productive