From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
The complex status of Muslim youths in these neoliberal times is what we intend to explore in this book.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Quick Thoughts on Sanctions and Elite Factionalization in Syria: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Samer Abboud
- Migrant States, Mobile Economies: Rethinking the Political in Contemporary Turkey (GMU Event)
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 5)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 5)
- Netanyahu at the UN: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Interview by Al-Jazeera America
- A Portrait of Moustafa Fathi
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 28- October 4)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- De-dramatizing Algerian Politics
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (September 2015)
- مدن الحداثة
- Palestine Media Roundup (September 23– 30)
- The Palestine Exception to Free Speech: A Movement Under Attack in the US
- خمسة أسئلة عن التنوع البيبليوغرافي
- DARS Media Roundup (September 2015)
- LCPS Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Ziad Abu-Rish on Electricity in Early Independence Lebanon
- NPR's 'Here and Now' Interviews Jadaliyya Co-Editor Rosie Bsheer About Redevelopment in Mecca
- Cities Media Roundup (September 2015)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 30)
- Exploring an Agenda for Active Citizenship: Selected Conference Presentations from STATUS/الوضع