From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Why is NATO conducting an aerial campaign in Libya that is low-key not only in comparison with the air component of the war to grab similarly oil-rich Iraq, but even compared to the air war for economically unimportant Kosovo?click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia
- Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported Middle East Studies Centers
- Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia http://t.co/6izMU6L3Ke
yesterday at 11:59 AM
Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey http://t.co/K1z9GIvf9J
yesterday at 10:30 AM
Call for Participants: 2015 PARC Faculty Development Seminar (May 14-25, 2015, Jerusalem and the West Bank) http://t.co/xDuLAAZEyx
yesterday at 9:23 AM
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 PARC Fellowship for US Scholars Conducting Field-Based Research on Palestine http://t.co/vfJpBGRqsR
yesterday at 9:22 AM
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 NEH/FPIRI PARK Fellowship for Scholars Conducting Field-Based Humanities Research in... http://t.co/QnpUau2v6I
yesterday at 9:22 AM