From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"It’s unacceptable to call them military trials, it’s unacceptable to call them anything else than what they really are: an oppressive tool, the most important tool [SCAF is] using, to scare people and to terrorize people."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, "The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam" http://t.co/GoJFcrptWK
13 hours ago
On the BDS Blacklist http://t.co/ala4z9VTI1
15 hours ago
سنان أنطون: أشباح سركون بولص http://t.co/QDIHdVxMyV
16 hours ago
UC Irvine Event: Bassam Haddad on 'The Syrian Tragedy: Causes, Dynamics, and Consequences' (23 October 2014) http://t.co/ceCa3CqUBC
18 hours ago
خالد المعالي: ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص http://t.co/Pei5CgRhjb
20 hours ago