From the Editors
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"It is hard to surmise whether much of the reaction to Iranian cinema abroad stemmed from the fact that it was cinema about Iran, or was due to its groundbreaking cinematographic methods"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Breaking: Yemeni Political Alliances Shift as Houthis Capture Sanaa
- On Dead and Living Characters
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 15-21)
- Mehdi Haddab
- Court Suspends Mahienour El-Massry's Sentence, Orders Release
- Muhammad Abduh: A Profile from the Archives
- Iraq: A State or Militias?
- Progressive Struggles against Insidious Capitalist Individualism: Interview with Angela Davis
- Syria Media Roundup (September 20)
- DARS Media Roundup (September 20)
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Breaking: Yemeni Political Alliances Shift as Houthis Capture San`aa http://t.co/AI2wniL4VP
yesterday at 7:42 PM
Breaking: Yemeni Political Alliances Shift as Houthis Capture San`aa http://t.co/7BELpGoxKz
yesterday at 7:35 PM
Syria Media Roundup (September 20) http://t.co/YkatvqVXgO
yesterday at 9:41 AM
Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 15-21) http://t.co/uAyWIuwQZD
yesterday at 6:02 AM
Mehdi Haddab http://t.co/VTJrqK9mbh
yesterday at 5:54 AM