From the Editors
Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money
Our loss is not the earth
for the earth will stay,
it stayed before us,
it will stay after us,
earth of the singers,
and of silent ones,
earth of those who stay
it is the earth of those
who became earth’s body
. . .
What we have lost is not the earth.
The loss is that glance we no longer exchange,
between one child and another
as they share a loaf of bread.
I will not open my window:
Even the grass is drowning in the sea winds;
trees are shaking under the rain.
The room is still (the house has double-windows);
I hear the clock ticking:
Tick Tick Tick,
I can hear the pond’s tiny waves in the distance
Nearby: tiny waves of fingers. . .
Is my lover back after a long trip?
The yellow flowers at the entrance are very early.
No visitor knocks at my door.
Even the birds found a shelter.
the squirrel and I, are trying
to catch something.
Bees Visit Me
A bee perched on my shirt,
Blossoms were radiant,
shaking the beechnut tree
and the orchard—
How did the bees come?
My table doesn't have much:
a piece of bread and cheese,
but it overflows with French wine. . .
Is that what the bees are after?
What is strange is that they cling to my shirt,
Do they know that honey,
and the end,
are under the shirt?
—That pollen is quivering?
[Translated from the Arabic by Sinan Antoon & Peter Money. From Saadi Youssef, Nostalgia, My Enemy, published November 2012 by Gray Wolf Press. You can purchase the book here.]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"It is through this strategy of capitalizing from the partisan squabbles among political parties that the monarchy has anchored itself in Morocco’s political landscape as a “uniting” and seemingly “necessary” actor."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء"
- Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel
- Turkey’s New Migration Policy: Control Through Bureaucratization
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 22-28)
- El Rass
- Excavating the Sky
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 29)
- Propaganda, Politics, and Profiteering: Islamic Law in the Contemporary United States
- Turkey after Gezi: An Interview with Simten Cosar
- Tadween Spotlight: Gaza
- Evden Emlaga Fikirtepe: Rant ve Spekulasyon Ekseninde Kentsel Donusum
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (August-September 2014)
- Syria Media Roundup (September 26)
- Emergency Humanitarian Appeals and Gaza’s On-going Destruction: The Case of Failed Accountability and Sustainability
- Maghreb Media Roundup (September 25)
- Ghassan Salhab: Making of 'The Valley'
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 September)
- New Texts Out Now: Laurie A. Brand, Official Stories: Politics and National Narratives in Egypt and Algeria
- The Growing Phenomenon of Pro-Israeli Advocacy in Chinese Academia
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 23)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
أمجد ناصر: عندما يكون اسمك على "القائمة السوداء" http://t.co/7hvNhLA9WB
yesterday at 11:48 PM
Statement by Scholar Ann Laura Stoler Endorsing BDS against Israel http://t.co/yWgpqqdOT8
yesterday at 11:52 AM
Call For Papers: Knowledge-Based Development in the Gulf (Kuwait, March 2015) http://t.co/HXjCx621Lv
yesterday at 8:42 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (September 29) http://t.co/EBvdjInkm8
yesterday at 8:10 AM
Tadween Spotlight: Gaza http://t.co/XDYb9SDgnc
yesterday at 7:38 AM