From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[”A Profile from the Archives“ is a new series published by Jadaliyya in both Arabic and English in cooperation with the Lebanese newspaper, Assafir. These profiles will feature iconic figures who left indelible marks in the politics and culture of the Middle East and North Africa.]
Name: Dalal Al-Maghribi
Known as: Al-Maghribi
Date of Birth: 1958
Date of Death: 1978
Place of Birth: Beirut
Category: Political activist
Profession: Political activist
- Pseudonym: Jihad
- Was born in Al-Mazra'aa neighborhood in Beirut in 1958.
- Her father was a Palestinian from the village of al-Lidd and her mother was Lebanese.
- She received her primary education in Ya'abud school and her intermediate education in Haifa school. Both schools were run by UNRWA in Beirut.
- She joined "Fatah" movement in 1972.
- She led a military operation in the occupied territories on 11 March 1978, commanding the group of "Dayr Yasin." The operation was planned and organized by Khalil al-Wazir and was codenamed "Kamal `Adwan" in reference to the Palestinian intellectual who was assassinated in Beirut in 1973. She hijacked a bus going from Haifa to Tel Aviv and was killed in that operation.
Details of the Operation:
She successfully infiltrated the Palestinian territories with a group of Fedaiyeen and took control of an Israeli Mercedes. The group used this car to control an Israeli bus and drove it to Tel Aviv. On their way, they took control of another bus and moved its passengers to the first bus and continued driving and managed to cross more than one military checkpoint. This drove the military to deploy more troops and a fierce battle took place near Al-Khudaira settlement that lasted for more than thirty hours. Some Israeli hostages were killed in this battle, along with Dalal, Muhammad Shar'aan (Palestinian), Abdul Raoof Ali (Yamani), Muhammad Abdul Rahim (Palestinian), Muhammad As'aad (Palestinian), Muhammad Al-Shimmari (Yemeni), Ali Amriya (Lebanese), Khalid Abdul Fattah (Palestinian), and Yahya Skaf (Lebanese). The two Palestinians, Hussein Fayyadh and Khalid Ibrahim, were captured and the operation resulted in the death of thirty Israelis and wounded more than eighty settlers and soldiers.
The commander of the army at that time was Ehud Barak, and the minute he knew that Dalal was the commander of the group, he approached her body, grabbed her hair, and started pulling it before the cameras.
She was on the list of corpses claimed by Hizbullah in the deal of prisoner exchange with Israel made on 17 July 2008. DNA tests showed that her body was not returned, and the four returned bodies belong to anonymous martyrs. The location of her body is still unknown.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The video targets Israel's Citizenship Law, which prohibits Palestinian spouses (read: West Bank and Gaza) of Israeli citizens from gaining residency or citizenship in Israel - currently more than 30,000 people"click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
- استقصاء السماء
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Letter to Amcha Initiative Regarding Its Report on UCLA Center for Near Eastern Studies http://t.co/eOq5sw3gzY
17 hours ago
Erdoğan, Türk milliyetçiliği kartına oynuyor http://t.co/wCzR7BkXd6
19 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam http://t.co/AmeAB1qa56
yesterday at 8:30 PM
On the BDS Blacklist http://t.co/p6EKLEEBXg
yesterday at 1:23 PM
Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven... http://t.co/GgjAHG3xzz
yesterday at 1:20 PM