From the Editors
[”A Profile from the Archives“ is a new series published by Jadaliyya in both Arabic and English in cooperation with the Lebanese newspaper, Assafir. These profiles will feature iconic figures who left indelible marks in the politics and culture of the Middle East and North Africa.]
Name: Dalal Al-Maghribi
Known as: Al-Maghribi
Date of Birth: 1958
Date of Death: 1978
Place of Birth: Beirut
Category: Political activist
Profession: Political activist
- Pseudonym: Jihad
- Was born in Al-Mazra'aa neighborhood in Beirut in 1958.
- Her father was a Palestinian from the village of al-Lidd and her mother was Lebanese.
- She received her primary education in Ya'abud school and her intermediate education in Haifa school. Both schools were run by UNRWA in Beirut.
- She joined "Fatah" movement in 1972.
- She led a military operation in the occupied territories on 11 March 1978, commanding the group of "Dayr Yasin." The operation was planned and organized by Khalil al-Wazir and was codenamed "Kamal `Adwan" in reference to the Palestinian intellectual who was assassinated in Beirut in 1973. She hijacked a bus going from Haifa to Tel Aviv and was killed in that operation.
Details of the Operation:
She successfully infiltrated the Palestinian territories with a group of Fedaiyeen and took control of an Israeli Mercedes. The group used this car to control an Israeli bus and drove it to Tel Aviv. On their way, they took control of another bus and moved its passengers to the first bus and continued driving and managed to cross more than one military checkpoint. This drove the military to deploy more troops and a fierce battle took place near Al-Khudaira settlement that lasted for more than thirty hours. Some Israeli hostages were killed in this battle, along with Dalal, Muhammad Shar'aan (Palestinian), Abdul Raoof Ali (Yamani), Muhammad Abdul Rahim (Palestinian), Muhammad As'aad (Palestinian), Muhammad Al-Shimmari (Yemeni), Ali Amriya (Lebanese), Khalid Abdul Fattah (Palestinian), and Yahya Skaf (Lebanese). The two Palestinians, Hussein Fayyadh and Khalid Ibrahim, were captured and the operation resulted in the death of thirty Israelis and wounded more than eighty settlers and soldiers.
The commander of the army at that time was Ehud Barak, and the minute he knew that Dalal was the commander of the group, he approached her body, grabbed her hair, and started pulling it before the cameras.
She was on the list of corpses claimed by Hizbullah in the deal of prisoner exchange with Israel made on 17 July 2008. DNA tests showed that her body was not returned, and the four returned bodies belong to anonymous martyrs. The location of her body is still unknown.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
"One wonders if Bahraini women who have been detained, beaten, sexually abused, will be left marooned in private, individual suffering."click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Iraqi Authorities Turn Their Sights on Journalists http://t.co/aChswfVyxN
yesterday at 11:23 AM
Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 15) http://t.co/amJYoopXER
yesterday at 9:49 AM
Turkey Media Roundup (April 15) http://t.co/Uy16dqzCL6
yesterday at 6:39 AM
yesterday at 10:41 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (April 14) http://t.co/JFY21bV8QB
yesterday at 10:37 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 15)
- The Strands of the Military Opposition in Syria: An Interview with Yasser Munif (Part 2)
- Adunis, Mistranslated (Part One)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya April (7-13)
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 14)
- Tartus in the Present Crisis: A Mirror of the Syrian Regime
- Good Faith or Good Tactics? How Some Anti-Divestment Groups Manipulate Public Discourse and Smear SJP
- بيروت.. أول مرّة
- Devletlesen AKP, Degismeyen Devlet?
- Reports Roundup (April 12)
- قصائد رلى الجردي
- O.I.L. Monthly Edition (March 2014)
- Teaching Arabic in the US after 9/11
- Les visages urbains d'un autre Téhéran. Perspectives comparatives sur la mégapole iranienne.
- قديسون وانتحاريون
- Violence Lointaine
- مآلات النزف البطيء: وداعاً سورية دولة مركزية
- ماذا فعلت «حماس» بالمناهج؟