From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on the Maghreb. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Maghreb-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form firstname.lastname@example.org [click “Submissions” on the main page for more information].
L’an I de la Révolution tunisienne ou les résurgences d’un passé qui divise Jocelyne Dakhlia's critique attempts to posit a "authentic" Tunisian identity.
Neither Regret Nor Remorse: Colonial Nostalgia Among French Far Right Thomas Serres analyzes the French far right's reactions to Hollande's acknowledgement of the 17 October 1961 massacre.
Maghreb Media Roundup (29 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
From Opposition to Puppet: Morocco’s Party of Justice and Development Samia Errazzouki discusses the PJD's failure to adopt the "critical voice" of reform promised in campaigns, instead yielding subserviently to the monarchy's power structures.
Maghreb Media Roundup (22 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Lonely Servitude: Child Domestic Labor in Morocco HRW reports on the prevalence of child domestic labor abuse in Morocco.
Quelle justice transitionnelle pour la Tunisie? Myriam Guetat explores problematic conceptions of "transitional justice," and obstructions to its realization in Tunisia.
ثورة . . . أما بعد Raouia Briki argues that revolutionary ideals involving employment, media freedom, dignity, and corruption have been forsaken by a government entrenched in ideological controversies.
Plurality, Hybridity, and the Self: A Review of Benjamin Stora's "Voyages en postcolonies" Samuel Everett explores Stora's latest publication, which Everett expounds as a departure from his previous works as it chronicles concepts and episodes of post-colonial studies from a highly personal perspective.
Maghreb Media Roundup (15 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Maghreb Media Roundup (8 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Du « péril noir » au Maroc Michael Vogel discusses a controversial Maroc Hebdo feature that attempts to justify the state's recent abuses against sub-Saharan African migrants.
Maghreb Media Roundup (2 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Tunisian Unionists on Strike in Kasserine Province UGTT executive member's statement on the recent wave of protests demanding employment, regional development, and genuine democratic transition.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"without serious reform of the entire educational system, it is unlikely that the structural hindrances that impede poor people from accessing fair and equal education in the country will be overcome."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (23 November)
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)
- شعراء ما بعد الطوفان
- New Texts Out Now: Lina Khatib, Dina Matar, and Atef Alshaer, The Hizbullah Phenomenon: Politics and Communication
- New Texts Out Now: Rula Jurdi Abisaab and Malek Abisaab, The Shi‘ites of Lebanon: Modernism, Communism, and Hizbullah’s Islamists
- Migration, Fisheries, and the Supremacy of European Interests in Mauritania
- مجلة “الوضع” الصوتية على الهواء أصغوا وساهموا
- Status Audio Journal is Live! Listen Away and Contribute
- Syria Media Roundup (November 18)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 18)
- R-Shief Launches New Research Tools Allowing Full Access to Social Media Archives
- Armenian Diaspora Tourism in Turkey: An Interview with Anny Bakalian
- Sexual Violence, Women’s Bodies, and Israeli Settler Colonialism
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 10-16)
- Kenneth Balfelt