From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on the Maghreb. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Maghreb-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form firstname.lastname@example.org [click “Submissions” on the main page for more information].
L’an I de la Révolution tunisienne ou les résurgences d’un passé qui divise Jocelyne Dakhlia's critique attempts to posit a "authentic" Tunisian identity.
Neither Regret Nor Remorse: Colonial Nostalgia Among French Far Right Thomas Serres analyzes the French far right's reactions to Hollande's acknowledgement of the 17 October 1961 massacre.
Maghreb Media Roundup (29 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
From Opposition to Puppet: Morocco’s Party of Justice and Development Samia Errazzouki discusses the PJD's failure to adopt the "critical voice" of reform promised in campaigns, instead yielding subserviently to the monarchy's power structures.
Maghreb Media Roundup (22 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Lonely Servitude: Child Domestic Labor in Morocco HRW reports on the prevalence of child domestic labor abuse in Morocco.
Quelle justice transitionnelle pour la Tunisie? Myriam Guetat explores problematic conceptions of "transitional justice," and obstructions to its realization in Tunisia.
ثورة . . . أما بعد Raouia Briki argues that revolutionary ideals involving employment, media freedom, dignity, and corruption have been forsaken by a government entrenched in ideological controversies.
Plurality, Hybridity, and the Self: A Review of Benjamin Stora's "Voyages en postcolonies" Samuel Everett explores Stora's latest publication, which Everett expounds as a departure from his previous works as it chronicles concepts and episodes of post-colonial studies from a highly personal perspective.
Maghreb Media Roundup (15 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Maghreb Media Roundup (8 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Du « péril noir » au Maroc Michael Vogel discusses a controversial Maroc Hebdo feature that attempts to justify the state's recent abuses against sub-Saharan African migrants.
Maghreb Media Roundup (2 November) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Tunisian Unionists on Strike in Kasserine Province UGTT executive member's statement on the recent wave of protests demanding employment, regional development, and genuine democratic transition.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The enormous disparity in the “valuation” between Palestinian and Israeli people and prisoners of war needs to end."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim fit in? (Part 1)
- The Reality of Ethnic Cleansing and Kurdish State in Syria
- The Good, the Bad and the Crimson Shoe
- Ekin Wan’in bedeninde ifsa olan devlet ya da kadinlar sira bizde
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 24)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 17-23)
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Mouin Rabbani Interview by France24 on Gaza Disengagement and Its Aftermath