From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
March 13th is Mahmoud Darwish’s birthday. He departed on August 9th, 2008, but he is seventy today and his poems are t/here for us. Jadaliyya celebrates his presence by publishing this translation.
* Al-Birweh is the village in which Darwish was born on March 13, 1941. It was occupied and depopulated in 1948 by Israeli forces. Its inhabitants became refugees, some in Lebanon, some internally displaced and designated present-absentees. In 1949, a Kibbutz was established. A year later a settlement was built on the lands of al-Birweh.
3 comments for "Mahmoud Darwish: Standing Before the Ruins of Al-Birweh"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"So the reengagement with the Arab world was one piece of a much larger project, which should not be mistaken for some kind of neo-Ottoman approach."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Jadaliyya Launches New Palestine Page
- Gaza Reconstruction Mechanism: Profiting Israel, Entrenching the Blockade
- Gaza One Year On: The Crisis Never Ended
- The Limits of Humanitarianism
- Rebuilding Gaza Needs Freedom and Normality – Not Just Aid
- Palestinian Refugees Deserve to Live in Dignity
- Quick Thoughts: Nathan Thrall on the Gaza Strip One Year After Israel’s Operation Protective Edge
- Arab Film on Israeli Television: An Interview with Eyal Sagui Bizawe
- Permission to Kill in Gaza
- Jadaliyya Launches Law and Conflict Page (Formerly O.I.L.: Occupation, Intervention, Law)
- New Texts Out Now: Nicola Perugini and Neve Gordon, The Human Right to Dominate
- How To Not Know about the CIA’s Targeted Killing Program
- New Texts Out Now: Wolfgang Kaleck, Double Standards: International Criminal Law and the West
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 6)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (June 29- July 5)
- 'I must save my life and not risk my family’s safety!': Untold Stories of Syrian Women Surviving War (Part 2)
- Will the Greferendum Bring A Rupture?: Answers from the European Left
- Against Terror, No Way Forward Without Respect for Human Rights
- المال ليس كل شيء: إعادة النظر في الاقتصاد العسكري في مصر
- The Land of Fear and Oppression