From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
March 13th is Mahmoud Darwish’s birthday. He departed on August 9th, 2008, but he is seventy today and his poems are t/here for us. Jadaliyya celebrates his presence by publishing this translation.
* Al-Birweh is the village in which Darwish was born on March 13, 1941. It was occupied and depopulated in 1948 by Israeli forces. Its inhabitants became refugees, some in Lebanon, some internally displaced and designated present-absentees. In 1949, a Kibbutz was established. A year later a settlement was built on the lands of al-Birweh.
3 comments for "Mahmoud Darwish: Standing Before the Ruins of Al-Birweh"
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"This, as I tell my students, is the beauty and the horror of the passive tense: it represents the grammatical power to dodge responsibility."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- البحر من هنا
- الحراك الجمعيّ على مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: تشكيل البدائل وبناء الرأي العام
- Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco
- New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire
- الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر
- Syria Media Roundup (October 28)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 28)
- DARS Media Roundup (October 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 28)
- On the Margins Roundup (October)
- البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزَّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط / فلسطين المحتلة
- مقدمة: البحر من هنا
- هذا البحر لي
- Sarah Samy
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 20-26)
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 27)
- “Hamel, Leave!”: The Men in Blue and the Fracturing of the Order
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia
- Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported Middle East Studies Centers
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Radio France Internationale Interview with Jadaliyya Co-Editor Samia Errazzouki on General Strike in Morocco http://t.co/ZA7OF3d6Gm
yesterday at 9:28 AM
New Texts Out Now: Nazan Maksudyan, "Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire" http://t.co/wfTZN8mYkO
yesterday at 6:51 AM
سماح حسين: الحق في المدينة، في الأرض، وفي البحر http://t.co/xk8T63SexL
yesterday at 3:10 PM
Syria Media Roundup (October 28) http://t.co/Ii1GvBldUy
on Tuesday 28 October at 09:59 AM
حنين نعامنة: البحر الذي تواطأ مع الغزّاة: منمنمات من ساحل المتوسط/ فلسطين المحتلة http://t.co/bW7Ow9ZB44
on Tuesday 28 October at 09:14 AM