From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday night of every week.]
Reports and Opinions
Gulf states must quash unrest – Saudi official A news report on the comments made by the Saudi deputy foreign minister urging the Gulf governments to put down any protests inspired by the Arab uprisings, on Gulf News.
UAE authorities ‘detain 18-year-old blogger’ A news report on the arrest of Mohammed Salem al-Zumer for expressing support of detained activists, on BBC.
The Untouchables of Yemen Joumana Farhat writes on marginalized groups in Yemen, in Al-Akhbar English.
Oppression in Bahrain
Bahrain seeks talks with the opposition A news report on the Bahraini crown prince’s renewed call for a dialogue with the opposition, on Al-Jazeera English.
Will the Manama Dialogue debate Bahrain’s own crisis? Ian Black writes on issues to be raised at the “Manama Dialogue,” a high profile strategic conference held in Manama, in The Guardian.
How Bahrain Lost the Propaganda War John Lubbock writes on “online dissent” in the face of the Bahraini government's banning of public protests, in The Huffington Post.
Election in Kuwait
Kuwait in crisis A media report on the political crisis in the country following a controversial parliamentary election, on Al-Jazeera English.
Kuwait Prime Minister Sheikh Jaber al-Sabah reappointed A news report on the reappointment of Jaber al-Sabah as a prime minister following the parliamentary election, BBC.
Saudi Arabia: Ray of light in climate fight? A news report on the kingdom’s investment in solar energy, on Al-Jazeera English.
Green thinking takes root in midst of desert in Doha climate talks John Vidal discerns a shift toward green energy and ecological responsibility among the Gulf state, in The Guardian.
Indian worker kills self in first Dubai Metro suicide case A news report on the suicide of a 36-year old Indian national, on The Times of India.
Qatar’s migrant workers losing out in $100bn World Cup preparations John Vidal writes on work conditions for migrant workers in Qatar, in The Guardian.
Human Rights Watch
Qatar: Poet’s Conviction Violates Free Expression A statement by the organization condemning Muhammad Ibn al-Dheeb al-Ajami’s life sentence for his poem “Tunisian Jasmine.”
Qatar making progress fighting AIDS ‘taboo’ A news report on the daily struggles of people suffering from HIV/AIDS in the Gulf countries in general and Qatar in particular, on Al-Jazeera English.
Qatar’s ‘Tea with Nefertiti’ in unique first A media report on the first internationally touring exhibition produced and curated in an Arab country, on Al-Jazeera English.
الكويت: المعارضة تتظاهر والأمير يعيد تكليف رئيس الوزراء المستقيل
A news report on the parliamentary election in Kuwait.
المعارضة البحرينية تتحدى السلطة: دعوة للتظاهر اليوم بكل سلمية
A news report on the Bahraini opposition's call for peaceful protests last Friday.
البحرين ٢٠١٤: بين تغيير وزير الديوان والوصول الى توافق دستوري
Abbas Bousafwan's third installment on the political scene in Bahrain.
ولي العهد إلى الضوء بدعوة الحوار
A news report on the Bahraini crown prince's call for a national dialogue.
المعارضة الكويتية تحشد الشارع لإسقاط مجلس الأمة
A news report on the Kuwaiti opposition's rallying to bring down the the newly elected parliament.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
“The revolution” is no longer a signifier of a bygone era. It is a lived experience, a reality, and the present. The “revolution” has compelled many to claim and imitate it.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
From Jadaliyya Reports
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Reports Roundup (May 18)
- Injuries, Arrests and House Raids: The Case of a Bahraini Family
- الليبرالية الفلسطينية أمام القضاء الإسرائيلي
- ما هي النكبة؟
- Academic Freedom and the Middle East: A Handbook for Teaching and Research
- Syria's Inglorious Basterd
- Maghreb Media Roundup (May 17)
- Buckling to Bigotry: The Newseum Dishonors Murdered Palestinian Journalists
- كتب: أطفال الندى
- Statement of the Arab and Middle East Journalists Association in Reference to Newseum Scandal
- New Texts Out Now: Maya Mikdashi, What is Settler Colonialism? and Sherene Seikaly, Return to the Present
- On the Margins Roundup (May)
- On the American Association of University Professors' Opposition to Academic Boycotts
- The Palestinian Museum: An Agent Of Empowerment And Integration For Palestinians
- An Ongoing Displacement: The Forced Exile of the Palestinians
- Syria Media Roundup (May 16)
- The Ongoing Nakba: The Forcible Displacement of the Palestinian People
- Nakba 2013: The Palestinian Youth Movement Commemorates 65 Years of Al Nakba (Introduction)
- النكبة، هنا، الآن
- حول استبعاد النكبة الفلسطينية من دراسات الصدمة