From the Editors
Half a million people live in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, bordering Israel and the Gaza Strip. For decades, they have been governed by a strong security paradigm and the Camp David accords with Israel – underwritten by billions of dollars in US military aid.
The true test of the evolving Egyptian relationship with the US then may lie in Cairo’s ability to control any instability in the peninsula.
Now they are back in the international spotlight because of an increase in militant attacks, arms smuggling and human trafficking.
When Egyptians took to the streets against Hosni Mubarak’s police state in January 2011, the Sinai was no exception. But the insurgency here continued long after his ouster, causing worry among some of Egypt’s powerful backers.
Fault Lines explores the roots of Sinai’s ongoing uprising and, as Egypt’s new leaders vow to crack down on militancy and smuggling, the dangers of following an old script. How did the Sinai Peninsula become a crucible for geopolitical tensions?
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
This idea that violence is antithetical to democratic struggle is not just seductive, in some quarters it is also dogmatic.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Egypt Media Roundup (March 10) http://t.co/BNSwR2VmtQ
yesterday at 6:53 PM
عبد الهادي العجلة: مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: فضاء عام أم خاص؟ http://t.co/HEMFJqZWbb
yesterday at 4:02 PM
محمد الدخاخني: في نقد الثورة 1/2 http://t.co/wJrUCUbq2t
yesterday at 4:00 PM
MEETING POINTS 7: Ten Thousand Wiles and a Hundred Thousand Tricks http://t.co/dLnCh6fn4Q
yesterday at 12:50 PM
Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 3-9) http://t.co/zPCP7f46QR
yesterday at 11:46 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي: فضاء عام أم خاص؟
- MEETING POINTS 7: Ten Thousand Wiles and a Hundred Thousand Tricks
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 3-9)
- Maghreb Media Roundup (March 10)
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 10)
- في نقد الثورة 1/2
- In Conversation with Artist Nadia Ayari
- In Turkey, Some Labels Keep on Giving
- Tunisia’s Consensus, or When a Kiss Is Just a Kiss
- DARS Media Roundup (March 8)
- Sosyal Bilimler ve Kadinlarin Bilme Bicimleri
- We the Women Are in Taksim in Istanbul on the 8th of March!
- لماذا لم يثر الصعيد؟ محاولة أولية للفهم ودعوة للنقاش
- عن السيد الجديد والمرأة المصرية
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6)
- قصائد المهمّشين
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2014)
- The (Ir)relevance of Academia? Academics Lash Back at Kristof for NYT Column
- Les quartiers populaires et les printemps arabes: Elements pour une approche renouvelee