From the Editors
Half a million people live in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, bordering Israel and the Gaza Strip. For decades, they have been governed by a strong security paradigm and the Camp David accords with Israel – underwritten by billions of dollars in US military aid.
The true test of the evolving Egyptian relationship with the US then may lie in Cairo’s ability to control any instability in the peninsula.
Now they are back in the international spotlight because of an increase in militant attacks, arms smuggling and human trafficking.
When Egyptians took to the streets against Hosni Mubarak’s police state in January 2011, the Sinai was no exception. But the insurgency here continued long after his ouster, causing worry among some of Egypt’s powerful backers.
Fault Lines explores the roots of Sinai’s ongoing uprising and, as Egypt’s new leaders vow to crack down on militancy and smuggling, the dangers of following an old script. How did the Sinai Peninsula become a crucible for geopolitical tensions?
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Tunisians are not willing to lose their newfound freedom of speech, and will be quick to take to the streets if any of the party’s activities displease them. Tunisians did not overthrow one dictator to vote for another, and Ennahda is no exception.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Syria Media Roundup (April 16) http://t.co/JtSpY91QjJ via @jadaliyya
11 hours ago
DARS Media Roundup (April 16) http://t.co/p2uVSO4alj
14 hours ago
O.I.L. Media Roundup (16 April) http://t.co/d5RMjjiFqW
15 hours ago
New Texts Out Now: Valeska Huber, "Channelling Mobilities: Migration and Globalisation in the Suez Canal Region... http://t.co/mF45W7u0ko
15 hours ago
Video -- US: Send Detainees Home to Yemen http://t.co/Yue75nIS0b
15 hours ago
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- DARS Media Roundup (April 16)
- New Texts Out Now: Valeska Huber, Channelling Mobilities: Migration and Globalisation in the Suez Canal Region and Beyond
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (16 April)
- Syria Media Roundup (April 16)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 15)
- The Strands of the Military Opposition in Syria: An Interview with Yasser Munif (Part 2)
- Adunis, Mistranslated (Part One)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya April (7-13)
- Egypt Media Roundup (April 14)
- Tartus in the Present Crisis: A Mirror of the Syrian Regime
- Good Faith or Good Tactics? How Some Anti-Divestment Groups Manipulate Public Discourse and Smear SJP
- بيروت.. أول مرّة
- Devletlesen AKP, Degismeyen Devlet?
- Reports Roundup (April 12)
- قصائد رلى الجردي
- O.I.L. Monthly Edition (March 2014)
- Teaching Arabic in the US after 9/11
- Les visages urbains d'un autre Téhéran. Perspectives comparatives sur la mégapole iranienne.