From the Editors
As debate over Egypt’s draft constitution proceeds, the editors would like to bring to your attention a page compiling Jadaliyya’s coverage of the lead-up to the constitutional referendum, as well as the political battles that have shaped the context in which the referendum is being convened.
A few highlights from Egypt's Constitutional Referendum Page include:
- A set of video clips produced by the Mosireen collective and in which relevant Egyptian activists and experts explain the implications that the new constitution would have for workers’ social and economic rights, freedom of expression, state-sponsored violence against citizens and detained suspects, and the military’s non-democratic political and economic privileges
- Paul Sedra’s analysis of the draft constitution and what it means for Egypt’s Copts and their relationship with the Coptic Orthodox Church
- A summary of the most controversial articles in the draft constitution by Lina Attalah
- Karim Abou-Youssef’s legal analysis of the draft constitution, and the limitations it could place on personal rights and government accountability.
The page also contains analysis of the broader political and social contexts animating the ongoing conflicts between President Mohamed Morsi and his challengers, including articles by Ellis Goldberg, Hesham Sallam, Seifeldin Fawzy, and Linda Herrera, Magdy Alabady, and Adel Iskandar.
The compilation of articles also includes personal testimonies, and on-the-ground coverage of protests and clashes between Morsi’s partisans and his opponents, including pieces by Mohamad Adam, Wael Eskandar, Bassam Haddad, and Dina Amer.
And there is more!
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Court Suspends Mahienour El-Massry's Sentence, Orders Release
- Muhammad Abduh: A Profile from the Archives
- Iraq: A State or Militias?
- Progressive Struggles against Insidious Capitalist Individualism: Interview with Angela Davis
- Syria Media Roundup (September 20)
- DARS Media Roundup (September 20)
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 8-14)
- Egypt Media Roundup (September 15)
- Jamal ad-Din al-Afghani: A Profile from the Archives
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Syria Media Roundup (September 20) http://t.co/W9IMQZlMej
yesterday at 12:19 PM
Court Suspends Mahienour El-Massry's Sentence, Orders Release http://t.co/Dk8heuWV93
yesterday at 11:05 AM
Muhammad Abduh: A Profile from the Archives http://t.co/pQ0Z5PIBpf
yesterday at 9:38 AM
Open Letter to the Brooklyn Book Festival re Israeli Sponsorship http://t.co/miM7l4thpO
yesterday at 9:16 AM
Iraq: A State or Militias? http://t.co/WuQiX6DHxe
yesterday at 8:36 AM