From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
As debate over Egypt’s draft constitution proceeds, the editors would like to bring to your attention a page compiling Jadaliyya’s coverage of the lead-up to the constitutional referendum, as well as the political battles that have shaped the context in which the referendum is being convened.
A few highlights from Egypt's Constitutional Referendum Page include:
- A set of video clips produced by the Mosireen collective and in which relevant Egyptian activists and experts explain the implications that the new constitution would have for workers’ social and economic rights, freedom of expression, state-sponsored violence against citizens and detained suspects, and the military’s non-democratic political and economic privileges
- Paul Sedra’s analysis of the draft constitution and what it means for Egypt’s Copts and their relationship with the Coptic Orthodox Church
- A summary of the most controversial articles in the draft constitution by Lina Attalah
- Karim Abou-Youssef’s legal analysis of the draft constitution, and the limitations it could place on personal rights and government accountability.
The page also contains analysis of the broader political and social contexts animating the ongoing conflicts between President Mohamed Morsi and his challengers, including articles by Ellis Goldberg, Hesham Sallam, Seifeldin Fawzy, and Linda Herrera, Magdy Alabady, and Adel Iskandar.
The compilation of articles also includes personal testimonies, and on-the-ground coverage of protests and clashes between Morsi’s partisans and his opponents, including pieces by Mohamad Adam, Wael Eskandar, Bassam Haddad, and Dina Amer.
And there is more!
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Maha Abdelrahman, Egypt's Long Revolution: Protest Movements and Uprisings
- Le Père Lebret, chroniqueur de l’Etat libanais en construction
- Expropriation, Lawlessness, and Resistance in Yirca's Olive Groves: An Interview with Olcay Bingol and Deniz Bayram
- لم يكن في خطتنا أن ننتصر
- Faculty Support Student-Workers of UAW 2865 in Solidarity with Palestinian Students and Workers
- Syria Media Roundup (November 25)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 25)
- Moving in the Maze with Cairene Artist Qarm Qart
- Larissa Sansour
- Event at GMU: The Double Execution of Saddam Hussein: Diaspora, Media, and Images, with Zainab Saleh
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 17-23)
- A French Atlas of the Gulf States
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 24)
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (23 November)
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)