From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
The Box of Pain
You were not there at daybreak
When patients, passengers and soldiers
Stretched their heads, bald or shaven,
Like tiny cottages in distant windows.
The boy passed the light fog
Which didn't stay long
Before the hospital gate
Where he found a pistol lying on the grass.
You were not there.
Now, you are a story
Being told in a place you are not in.
Your throat: that box of pain,
Is full of bones and feathers.
In the white of your eye
There is a blood dot, small and rusty,
Like a sun setting in the distance
Over a snowy field
Which was trampled
By long rows of hungry soldiers.
[Translated from the Arabic by Golan Haji & Kristina Stoltz]
Raise your eyes
to the cloud above your head:
it’s like the belly of an animal
you’d like to play with.
Snow in the shadow
covers a stone & crumbs of bread.
Do you hear the wind
between the blossoming peach branches?
Ah, you understand me?
It’s morning, the air is sharper than our eyes
and no one leaves any trace
in the mirror.
* * *
The sparrow that flew down from the washing-line recognized me without knowing my name. His legs were thinner than the line, weak but they served his needs well. I terrified him when I appeared & the terror took his wings high & away. He doesn’t differentiate between all of us who are called human; it’s the same whether it’s me or someone else since his shining eyes don’t feel safe with any of us. But I hate it that I keep watch over the name I was given to capture me, that I drag it & it drags me, and that it’s stuck to my face & has become part of my voice. Sometimes it seems strange to me when I read it or hear it, or it bores me & I detest it. Like everyone I have spent a long time imprisoning myself in my name, since all of us are buried alive, each in his own : a grave of fear & delight & misunderstanding.
[Translated from the Arabic by Golan Haji & Stephen Watts]
My thoughts are colder than your hand
Harder than a nipple which awoke between the teeth of a stranger.
A whiff of air will scatter me among the shadows
Where signs and vows glimmer,
The sleepless grow old,
And dishes get cold as do faces forgetting us.
When my hand passes the table like a slow straw cart
Then goes away, far from us, angry like us,
Leaving this handkerchief
And a sheet carrying your name
So you won't get lost if you go out.
[Translated from the Arabic by Golan Haji with Lauren Pyott]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"This, as I tell my students, is the beauty and the horror of the passive tense: it represents the grammatical power to dodge responsibility."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- « Hamel dégage ! » : Les policiers algériens et les fissures de l'ordre
- Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah
- Liberalizmin tasfiyesi ve Ortadogu'da alacakaranlik
- جدلية في عامها الرابع
- Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason University, 20 October 2014)
- Is the Center for Jewish Life Stifling Free Speech on Campus?
- Hassan Khan in Conversation with Mohamed Abdelkarim
- In Memory of Suphi Nejat Agirnasli
- إشكالية المجتمع المدني في المغرب
- Press Release: Saudi Death Sentence against Shia Leader Is Politically Motivated
- الانحناء على جثة عمّان
- New Texts Out Now: Reem Charif, Mohamad Hafeda, and Joumana al Jabri, Creative Refuge
- Panel Event: After Gezi, After the Elections, After ISIS: Politics in Turkey Now (CUNY Graduate Center, 20 October 2014)
- Jadaliyya Featured in the New York Times: "Online Magazine Brings New Life to Arab Studies"
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (October 14)
- رحلتي إلى الراب والسياسة والسجن
- A Politics of Hope: A Tribute to Brief Lives at a Time of Perpetual Death
- Suphi Nejat Agirnasli’nin Anisina
- Egypt’s Conservative Nationalism: Discourse and Praxis of the New Regime
- Roj Roja Rojava
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Debt and Obligation in Contemporary Ramallah http://t.co/5j5SVfUUQ2
yesterday at 4:00 AM
Citizenfour: Laura Poitras’ Documentary on Edward Snowden (Video Trailer) http://t.co/53bm4GzGBD
on Saturday 18 October at 08:13 AM
Intervention and the Limits of US Power? A Panel Featuring Vijay Prashad and Jadaliyya Co-Editor Lisa Hajjar... http://t.co/bH7PRRk064
on Saturday 18 October at 07:02 AM
جدلية في عامها الرابع http://t.co/T3TTMADl6i
on Friday 17 October at 12:49 PM
Operation Protective Edge: Legal and Political Implications of ICC Prosecution (George Mason... http://t.co/MV83z1Kldq
on Friday 17 October at 09:38 AM