From the Editors
The Box of Pain
You were not there at daybreak
When patients, passengers and soldiers
Stretched their heads, bald or shaven,
Like tiny cottages in distant windows.
The boy passed the light fog
Which didn't stay long
Before the hospital gate
Where he found a pistol lying on the grass.
You were not there.
Now, you are a story
Being told in a place you are not in.
Your throat: that box of pain,
Is full of bones and feathers.
In the white of your eye
There is a blood dot, small and rusty,
Like a sun setting in the distance
Over a snowy field
Which was trampled
By long rows of hungry soldiers.
[Translated from the Arabic by Golan Haji & Kristina Stoltz]
Raise your eyes
to the cloud above your head:
it’s like the belly of an animal
you’d like to play with.
Snow in the shadow
covers a stone & crumbs of bread.
Do you hear the wind
between the blossoming peach branches?
Ah, you understand me?
It’s morning, the air is sharper than our eyes
and no one leaves any trace
in the mirror.
* * *
The sparrow that flew down from the washing-line recognized me without knowing my name. His legs were thinner than the line, weak but they served his needs well. I terrified him when I appeared & the terror took his wings high & away. He doesn’t differentiate between all of us who are called human; it’s the same whether it’s me or someone else since his shining eyes don’t feel safe with any of us. But I hate it that I keep watch over the name I was given to capture me, that I drag it & it drags me, and that it’s stuck to my face & has become part of my voice. Sometimes it seems strange to me when I read it or hear it, or it bores me & I detest it. Like everyone I have spent a long time imprisoning myself in my name, since all of us are buried alive, each in his own : a grave of fear & delight & misunderstanding.
[Translated from the Arabic by Golan Haji & Stephen Watts]
My thoughts are colder than your hand
Harder than a nipple which awoke between the teeth of a stranger.
A whiff of air will scatter me among the shadows
Where signs and vows glimmer,
The sleepless grow old,
And dishes get cold as do faces forgetting us.
When my hand passes the table like a slow straw cart
Then goes away, far from us, angry like us,
Leaving this handkerchief
And a sheet carrying your name
So you won't get lost if you go out.
[Translated from the Arabic by Golan Haji with Lauren Pyott]
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
- الجزائر إعادة تخيّل الحقبة الجميلة
- بغداد: نعمة النفايات وفوضاها
- American Studies Association Resolution on Academic Boycott of Israel
- New Texts Out Now: Ralf Brand and Sara Fregonese, The Radicals’ City: Urban Environment, Polarization, Cohesion
- Implications of Morocco's Bifurcated Educational System
Remembering Graham Usher http://t.co/MVZMYKFcKd
13 hours ago
Israel-Palestine: Two State Stress Test http://t.co/nOZD47ieOY
13 hours ago
J Street: Israel's Loyal Opposition http://t.co/xc1YDZpLU8
13 hours ago
Call for Applicants: Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Italian Studies and Middle East Studies 2014-2016 (Brown... http://t.co/Vg1sj6ROwL
yesterday at 1:57 PM
Campaign Update: Hebrew University Oral History Conference Dealt Two Significant Blows http://t.co/HZFSVhWowM
yesterday at 1:56 PM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- What Do You Miss Most? Syrian Refugees Respond
- Remembering Graham Usher
- Israel-Palestine: Two State Stress Test
- J Street: Israel's Loyal Opposition
- DARS Media Roundup (December 11)
- تأملات فلسطينية في الأيديولوجيا السياسية الأمريكية
- New Texts Out Now: Abdel Razzaq Takriti, Monsoon Revolution: Republicans, Sultans, and Empires in Oman, 1965-1976
- Jil Oslo: Palestinian Hip Hop, Youth Culture, and the Youth Movement
- الأبارتهايد ونقاشات منع التجوّل
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (December 10)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (December 2-8)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (December 10)
- International Human Rights Day: Palestinian People’s Suffering Continues
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (10 December)
- Syria Media Roundup (December 10)
- Turkey Media Roundup (December 10)
- Egypt Media Roundup (December 9)
- Drug Trafficking in Northwest Africa: The Moroccan Gateway
- Maghreb Media Roundup (December 9)
- Israel Wins in Mexico