From the Editors
[Earlier, Jadaliyya Reports re-published critical statements (see here and here) in responses to the NY LGBT Center's decision to cancel the "Party to End Apartheid." Below is a brief description and the video of a panel ("How Now BDS?") organized by Adalah-NY as part of Israel Aparthied Week, wherien Judith Butler and John Greyson also address the NY LGBT Center's decision.]
Video: How Now BDS? Media, Politics and Queer Activism
A conversation with John Greyson and Judith Butler, moderated by Jasbir Puar.
This event was held on March 11 at Judson Memorial Church in Manhattan, as part of Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) in NYC. John Greyson, Judith Butler and Jasbir Puar discussed new forms of activism in support of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel, focusing on both the cultural and academic boycott and the importance of queer BDS activism in Palestine and elsewhere. "How Now BDS" centered on how BDS is done now, and what must still be done. The panelists also discussed the NYC LGBT Center’s controversial decision to cancel the IAW event “Party to End Apartheid,” and to ban the event organizers Siegebusters from holding its meetings there.
Judith Butler is a Professor at the University of California, Berkeley and author of Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, and numerous other works. She is also active in gender and sexual politics and human rights, anti-war politics, and Jewish Voice for Peace.
John Greyson is a Toronto video artist/filmmaker whose features, shorts and installations include Fig Trees, Proteus, and Lilies. He is an associate professor in Film at York University.
Jasbir Puar is professor of Women's & Gender Studies at Rutgers University, the author of Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times , and a board member of the Audre Lorde Project. She has written on Israel’s strategy of “pinkwashing,” exploiting Israel's gay community to improve Israel's international image.
This year marked the 7th Annual International Israeli Apartheid Week and the 5th year that IAW was held in NYC.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
It took the United States until the 21st century to join the community of nations in endorsing a Palestinian state, though this never went beyond the declarative level.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة
- Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 28)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 21-27)
- Reporter Jon Snow on Gaza's Children: Misery and Responsibility
- The Informants: Manufacturing Terror
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 26)
- عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
- Jadaliyya Co-Editor Noura Erakat Debates the Tactics and Ethics of Warfare on PBS Newshour
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Sky News' Sherine Tadros on Reporting the Israeli Attack on Gaza
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (24 July)
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة http://t.co/nwKVMCzShL
yesterday at 2:45 PM
The Informants: Manufacturing Terror http://t.co/MJSVACBKid
yesterday at 11:15 AM
Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive http://t.co/6lbv9eqcLo
yesterday at 10:18 AM
CFP: Medinas in the 20th & 21th Centuries (Algiers, February 2015) http://t.co/ps2PeNA2UL
yesterday at 9:42 AM
Egypt Media Roundup (July 28) http://t.co/Y5XvDwhouY
yesterday at 9:13 AM