From the Editors
[Earlier, Jadaliyya Reports re-published critical statements (see here and here) in responses to the NY LGBT Center's decision to cancel the "Party to End Apartheid." Below is a brief description and the video of a panel ("How Now BDS?") organized by Adalah-NY as part of Israel Aparthied Week, wherien Judith Butler and John Greyson also address the NY LGBT Center's decision.]
Video: How Now BDS? Media, Politics and Queer Activism
A conversation with John Greyson and Judith Butler, moderated by Jasbir Puar.
This event was held on March 11 at Judson Memorial Church in Manhattan, as part of Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) in NYC. John Greyson, Judith Butler and Jasbir Puar discussed new forms of activism in support of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel, focusing on both the cultural and academic boycott and the importance of queer BDS activism in Palestine and elsewhere. "How Now BDS" centered on how BDS is done now, and what must still be done. The panelists also discussed the NYC LGBT Center’s controversial decision to cancel the IAW event “Party to End Apartheid,” and to ban the event organizers Siegebusters from holding its meetings there.
Judith Butler is a Professor at the University of California, Berkeley and author of Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, and numerous other works. She is also active in gender and sexual politics and human rights, anti-war politics, and Jewish Voice for Peace.
John Greyson is a Toronto video artist/filmmaker whose features, shorts and installations include Fig Trees, Proteus, and Lilies. He is an associate professor in Film at York University.
Jasbir Puar is professor of Women's & Gender Studies at Rutgers University, the author of Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times , and a board member of the Audre Lorde Project. She has written on Israel’s strategy of “pinkwashing,” exploiting Israel's gay community to improve Israel's international image.
This year marked the 7th Annual International Israeli Apartheid Week and the 5th year that IAW was held in NYC.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Yet, the majority of young people I talked to, regardless of class or gender, revealed a sophisticated political perspective and a keen interest in participation. They talked the language of human rights, responsibilities, good governance and bad governance.click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut http://t.co/qWkYjpnv73
yesterday at 8:58 AM
Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World http://t.co/hYEOUmJrSx
yesterday at 5:53 AM
Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza http://t.co/XjZgCbg7Yf
yesterday at 5:31 AM
Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza http://t.co/uHOsoOJIUA
yesterday at 3:12 AM
Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20) http://t.co/mwBrIekKOl
yesterday at 3:16 PM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- A Debate on Gaza: Democracy Now! Interviews Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada and. J.J. Goldberg of the Jewish Daily Forward
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Ali Kadivar, Alliances and Perception Profiles in the Iranian Reform Movement, 1997 to 2005
- Fractured Space: The Case of Souk al-Ahad, Beirut
- Al-Diwan Roundup: News and Analysis in Publishing and Academia from the Arab World
- Can Palestinian Men be Victims? Gendering Israel's War on Gaza
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe