From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[Earlier, Jadaliyya Reports re-published critical statements (see here and here) in responses to the NY LGBT Center's decision to cancel the "Party to End Apartheid." Below is a brief description and the video of a panel ("How Now BDS?") organized by Adalah-NY as part of Israel Aparthied Week, wherien Judith Butler and John Greyson also address the NY LGBT Center's decision.]
Video: How Now BDS? Media, Politics and Queer Activism
A conversation with John Greyson and Judith Butler, moderated by Jasbir Puar.
This event was held on March 11 at Judson Memorial Church in Manhattan, as part of Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW) in NYC. John Greyson, Judith Butler and Jasbir Puar discussed new forms of activism in support of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel, focusing on both the cultural and academic boycott and the importance of queer BDS activism in Palestine and elsewhere. "How Now BDS" centered on how BDS is done now, and what must still be done. The panelists also discussed the NYC LGBT Center’s controversial decision to cancel the IAW event “Party to End Apartheid,” and to ban the event organizers Siegebusters from holding its meetings there.
Judith Butler is a Professor at the University of California, Berkeley and author of Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, and numerous other works. She is also active in gender and sexual politics and human rights, anti-war politics, and Jewish Voice for Peace.
John Greyson is a Toronto video artist/filmmaker whose features, shorts and installations include Fig Trees, Proteus, and Lilies. He is an associate professor in Film at York University.
Jasbir Puar is professor of Women's & Gender Studies at Rutgers University, the author of Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times , and a board member of the Audre Lorde Project. She has written on Israel’s strategy of “pinkwashing,” exploiting Israel's gay community to improve Israel's international image.
This year marked the 7th Annual International Israeli Apartheid Week and the 5th year that IAW was held in NYC.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"We have the luxury, even if we don't have the right, to say that not all solutions are going to be better than what exists today."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia
- Letter to the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights under Law regarding Attack on Title VI-Supported Middle East Studies Centers
- Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey
- Erdogan, Turk milliyetciligi kartina oynuyor
- Maghreb Media Roundup (October 23)
- Assault on Academic Freedom: Neoliberalism and the Corporatization of Universities, Live Stream Event with Steven Salaita (27 October 2014 at GMU)
- On the BDS Blacklist
- أشباح سركون بولص
- ذكريات صغيرة عن سركون بولص
- عن سركون بولص في ذكراه
- New Texts Out Now: Edmund Burke III, The Ethnographic State: France and the Invention of Moroccan Islam
- Egypt Media Roundup (October 20)
- Turkey Media Roundup (October 21)
- ضياء الدين ساردار: مطارحة الإسلام والمستقبل
- هل يمكن إنقاذ العراق؟
- Operation Protective Edge and Legal Remedies
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (20 October)
- Hydrogen Senior Project Exhibition
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (October 13-19)
- Syria Media Roundup (October 20)
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Beyond Uncritical Optimism: The Challenges for Transitional Tunisia http://t.co/6izMU6L3Ke
12 hours ago
Declaration by Scholars for Peace in Solidarity with the Saturday Mothers of Turkey http://t.co/K1z9GIvf9J
14 hours ago
Call for Participants: 2015 PARC Faculty Development Seminar (May 14-25, 2015, Jerusalem and the West Bank) http://t.co/xDuLAAZEyx
15 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 PARC Fellowship for US Scholars Conducting Field-Based Research on Palestine http://t.co/vfJpBGRqsR
15 hours ago
Call for Applicants: 2015-16 NEH/FPIRI PARK Fellowship for Scholars Conducting Field-Based Humanities Research in... http://t.co/QnpUau2v6I
15 hours ago