From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on Syria. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Syria-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form to firstname.lastname@example.org [click "Submissions" on the main page for more information]
Four Poems Some of Syrian poet Jolan Haji's poems translated into English.
Syria Media Roundup (December 27) Weekly collection of pertinent articles published on Syria in various outlets.
Will Brahimi Get a Breakthrough? Vijay Prashad on the dangerous developments and the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Syria
صندوق الألم: جولان حاجي Some of Syrian poet Jolan Haji's poems.
Syria Media Roundup (December 20) Weekly collection of pertinent articles published on Syria in various outlets.
Syrian Refugees: Reliance on Camps Creates Few Good Options Refugee International’s policy recommendations for Turkey, Jordan and Iraq
The Triumph and Irrelevance of Meta-Narratives Over Syria: “Rohna Dahiyyah” Bassam Haddad writes “Syria is a game now, played by states, institutions, analysts, activists, journalists, bloggers, tweeters, and artists who are often only remotely connected to the real lives of real people enduring real conditions there.”
عن واشنطن والائتلاف والنصرة Oraib Al-Rantawi writes about the US' decisions to recognize the National Coalition as the official and legitimate representative of the Syrian people and its subsequent decision to add the Nusra Front to the list of terrorist organizations.
A Nation of Pain and Suffering: Syria (Part 3) Vijay Prashad on the ambivalent Western plans for Syria
Syria Media Roundup (December 13) Weekly collection of pertinent articles published on Syria in various outlets.
A Nation of Pain and Suffering: Syria (Part 2) Vijay Prashad on the tensions that the refugee crisis has brought onto neighboring countries.
الضحك في الزمن المظلم: مقابلة مع ممدوح حمادة Lisa Wedeen interviews writer Mamdouh Hamada
A Nation of Pain and Suffering: Syria (Part 1) Vijay Prashad on the lack of humanitarian aid being delivered to the refugees.
Syria Media Roundup (December 6) Weekly collection of pertinent articles published on Syria in various outlets.
Month-by-Month Summary of Developments in Syria (Updated) International Crisis Group’s update
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“So on the anniversary of Said’s death, consider this a call to reinvigorate the Saidian virtues: solidarity and criticism, patient analysis and impatience with stupidity, public intellectual engagement and intemperate outbursts. We need them all.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Raymond Hinnebusch, From Arab Spring to Arab Winter: Explaining the Limits of Post-Uprising Democratization
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 28)
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 28)
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 27)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 20-26)
- Daoud’s Camus Fanfiction Is More of the Same
- تدمر، واحة للظلام
- Gay Hanging in Iran: Atrocities and Impersonations
- Quick Thoughts: John Reynolds on Recent Amendments to the Israeli Penal Code
- لا بشرٌ ولاحجر... تدمر وسرديات الحرب على الآثار
- Boycotting Israeli Academic Institutions: Advice for Anthropologists
- خلافـــــة الرئيـــس
- New Texts Out Now: Ali Issa, Against All Odds: Voices of Popular Struggle in Iraq
- New Texts Out Now: Franck Mermier, Récits de villes: d’Aden à Beyrouth
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 22)
- Attacks against Solidarity with Kobane: The Suruç Massacre of Young Revolutionaries
- Why are LGBT Equality Organizations Joining Forces with Israel Advocacy Groups?
- Has Amnesty International Lost Its Way? A Forensic Analysis of Amnesty’s Reports on Operation Protective Edge (Part 1)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 21)
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 21)