From the Editors
[This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on the Maghreb. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Maghreb-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form to firstname.lastname@example.org (click “Submissions” on the main page for more information)].
Neither Regret Nor Remorse: Colonial Nostalgia Among French Far Right Thomas Serres examines recent comments made by French politicians and the ways they reflect historical narratives of a colonial past.
L’an I de la Révolution tunisienne ou les résurgences d’un passé qui divise Jocelyne Dakhlia reflects on the anniversary of the Tunisian Uprising, focusing mainly on the political developments following the election of a new government.
من أجل مدنية الحكم في موريتانيا Ahmed Jeddou argues in favor for the establishment of civilian rule in Mauritania, while delving into the history of the current military regime.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 6) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Signs of New Feminism? Promises of Morocco's February 20 Zakia Salime analyzes the development of a new kind of feminism emerging in Morocco following the rise of the February 20 Movement.
Art, Politics, and Critical Citizenry in Morocco: An Interview with Driss Ksikes Allison McManus interviews Driss Ksikes, asking him questions regarding the treatment and reception of dissent in Morocco, Ksikes' support of the February 20 Movement, and the use of art and theatre as a medium for political expression.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 13) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Politics after Abdessalam Yassine Allison McManus gives an overview of al Adl wal Ihsan's history and the politcal implications of their spirtual leader's death.
Year Three Mouin Rabbani reflects on the two year anniversary of Mohammed Bouazizi's self-immolation and the regional developments following the ousting of dictators.
Memory Wars and the Messiness of History: An Interview with Jim House on the Commemoration of 17 October 1961 Muriam Haleh Davis interviews Jim House, asking questions that delve into the 17 October 1961 massacre in Algeria and the politics of a history marked with colonial violence.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 20) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 27) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
“The murder of four Shiites that the artistic collective, Mosireen captured and documented in the above video is an ugly moment. It speaks volumes about two coinciding phenomena.”click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Challenging the Red Lines: Stories of Rights Activists in Saudi Arabia http://t.co/fIYVG7vDVW
yesterday at 11:52 AM
Photography Media Roundup (March 6) http://t.co/Azh0gTa6pX
yesterday at 9:31 AM
[With Pictures from Panel] Roundtable Discussion: The Gezi Protests and Dissident Visions of Turkey (Harvard... http://t.co/QJvmclyB6v
yesterday at 6:08 AM
Conference--AUB City Debates 2014: Of Property in Planning (Beirut, 7-8 March) http://t.co/ubd31sF5vf
yesterday at 5:35 AM
Conference--AUB City Debates 2014: Of Property in Planning (Beirut, 7-8 May) http://t.co/yejnKQxWnU
yesterday at 1:07 AM
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Photography Media Roundup (March 6)
- قصائد المهمّشين
- New Texts Out Now: Annika Marlen Hinze, Turkish Berlin: Integration Policy and Urban Space
- Egypt Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (February 2014)
- The (Ir)relevance of Academia? Academics Lash Back at Kristof for NYT Column
- Les quartiers populaires et les printemps arabes: Elements pour une approche renouvelee
- Buradan bir cikis var mi? Ya da neden HDP’deyim?
- Media on the Margins: An Interview with Muhammad Ali on his Frontline Documentary "Syria's Second Front"
- Syria Media Roundup (March 4)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 4)
- Turkey Media Roundup (March 4)
- Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon: Health, Access, and Contributions
- Harvard Event: The History of Syrian Revolt: Structural Causes and Dynamics (4 March)
- الأنبار بين مفهومين: الحرب والسلام
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 3)
- Creation and Cooptation: The Story of Morocco’s Migration Reform
- Roundtable Discussion: The Gezi Protests and Dissident Visions of Turkey (Harvard University, 3 March)
- Month-by-Month Summary of Developments in Syria (Updated)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (February 24-March 2)
- Introduction: Roundtable on African American Muslims and the Black Freedom Struggle