From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a monthly archive of pieces written by Jadaliyya contributors and editors on the Maghreb. It also includes material published on other platforms that editors deemed pertinent to post as they provide diverse depictions of Maghreb-related topics. The pieces reflect the level of critical analysis and diversity that Jadaliyya strives for, but the views are solely the ones of their authors. If you are interested in contributing to Jadaliyya, send us your post with your bio and a release form to email@example.com (click “Submissions” on the main page for more information)].
Neither Regret Nor Remorse: Colonial Nostalgia Among French Far Right Thomas Serres examines recent comments made by French politicians and the ways they reflect historical narratives of a colonial past.
L’an I de la Révolution tunisienne ou les résurgences d’un passé qui divise Jocelyne Dakhlia reflects on the anniversary of the Tunisian Uprising, focusing mainly on the political developments following the election of a new government.
من أجل مدنية الحكم في موريتانيا Ahmed Jeddou argues in favor for the establishment of civilian rule in Mauritania, while delving into the history of the current military regime.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 6) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Signs of New Feminism? Promises of Morocco's February 20 Zakia Salime analyzes the development of a new kind of feminism emerging in Morocco following the rise of the February 20 Movement.
Art, Politics, and Critical Citizenry in Morocco: An Interview with Driss Ksikes Allison McManus interviews Driss Ksikes, asking him questions regarding the treatment and reception of dissent in Morocco, Ksikes' support of the February 20 Movement, and the use of art and theatre as a medium for political expression.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 13) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Politics after Abdessalam Yassine Allison McManus gives an overview of al Adl wal Ihsan's history and the politcal implications of their spirtual leader's death.
Year Three Mouin Rabbani reflects on the two year anniversary of Mohammed Bouazizi's self-immolation and the regional developments following the ousting of dictators.
Memory Wars and the Messiness of History: An Interview with Jim House on the Commemoration of 17 October 1961 Muriam Haleh Davis interviews Jim House, asking questions that delve into the 17 October 1961 massacre in Algeria and the politics of a history marked with colonial violence.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 20) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
Maghreb Media Roundup (December 27) Weekly curation of articles published on the Maghreb from various outlets.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
But as the impossibility of partition (the so-called “two-state solution”) as a viable way to end the conflict becomes ever-clearer, it is long past time to grapple with how the law of occupation can also hamper collective thinking and action.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Egypt Media Roundup (August 31)
- Turkey’s Three-Front War?
- ستاتوس\ الوضع: صدور العدد 2.2
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (August 24-30)
- Cities Media Roundup (August 2015)
- Israel’s Defeat on the Iran Deal
- Lebanon: What Do You Mean There Is No State?
- Beirut Revolt: What Is to be Done?
- Quick Thoughts: Moe Ali Nayel on Lebanon’s Garbage Crisis and Protest Movement
- Internships At ASI (& Internships for College Credit Program)
- Vangelis Kehriyotis anisina
- STATUS/الوضع: Issue 2.2 is Live!
- Lebanon, August 2015: Notes on Paralysis, Protests, and Hope
- في تعاقب المنافي، ستحملنا الريح إلى الوطن
- New Texts Out Now: Gary Wilder, Freedom Time: Negritude, Decolonization, and the Future of the World
- قدّروا شجاعة الرجل
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (August 25)
- Palestine Media Roundup (July 20- August 15)
- Turkey Media Roundup (August 25)
- Israel: Where do the Mizrahim Fit In? (Part 2)