From the Editors
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Wednesday night of every week.]
Can Algeria and France finally turn the page? Imad Mesdoua assesses Algerian-French relations after Francoise Hollande’s remarks on French colonization in Algeria.
Alors que la campagne a déjà commencé: Bouteflika serait-il partant pour un 4e mandat ? Ali Fares postulates that the Algerian president will seek a fourth term.
Tunisia, Algeria sign security pact Tunisia and Algeria reach a security agreement focusing on insecure border areas.
Islamist Militant Groups on the Rise in Africa National Public Radio reporters discuss presence of Al-Qaida and Al-Shabab in Libya and Mali.
Libya's Slapstick Democracy Explained Karl ReMarks describes shortcomings of new developments in Libya’s new democracy.
Magarief strongly supports women’s inclusion in the constitution drafting committee Sami Zaptia reports on Libyan women’s NGOs meeting with General National Congress President Mohamed Magarief.
Libya Rediscovers its Hidden Talent Rana Jawad provides a hopeful look at art in Libya through perspectives on Libyan artists.
Libyan gunmen kidnap chief police investigator in Benghazi North Africa United reports on abduction of Abdesalam al-Mahdawi.
La Mauritanie se rapproche davantage du Polisario Mohammed Jaabouk analyzes the role of the Polisario in Mauritanian-Moroccan relations.
Arresting Teachers who have been on Strike and the Detention of TV Channel Team The Arabic Network for Human Rights Information condemns arrest of 27 teachers at a sit in Mauritania protesting their transfer to remote areas of the country.
Will Mauritania's Project Zazou encourage vegetarianism? Analysis of the impact of Mauritania’s ban on plastic bags
Video: Marrakech uprisings Protestors chant “We Want the Fall of the Regime” at protests in Marrakech while riot police try to quell uprising.
Rétrospéctives : Ces polémiques qui ont marqué le Maroc en 2012 Artisthick blogger Miryam Lahli offers insight into the “polemic” state of culture in Morocco in 2012.
Soulèvement populaire à Marrakech - Qui sème la misère récolte la colère Association Marocain des Droits Humains (AMDH) Nord-France responds to police brutality against riots in Marrakech.
Inside Disputed Western Sahara Tom Stevenson draws links between disputed Western Sahara territory and Palestine
Au Maroc, des grèves de la faim contre les conditions de détention. Ilhem Rachidi reports on hunger strikes by political prisoners in Morocco.
State of Freedom in Speech in Tunisia in 2012 Afef Abrougui provides a synopsis of the past year in freedom of speech victories and defeats.
Tunisia sells of Ben Ali assets Monica Ghanmi reports on month long auction of the former head of state’s affairs, including jewelry, clothing, art and collection of luxury vehicles.
Tunisie : Un « Sheratongate » pour le ministre des affaires étrangères, Rafik Abdessalem ? Rachid Cherif describes the response of Tunisian officials to accusations from blogger Olfa Riahi.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
Maghreb Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (December 2012)
Jadaliyya's Maghreb Page Echoes in France
Memory Wars and the Messiness of History: An Interview with Jim House on the Commemoration of 17 October 1961
Politics after Abdessalam Yassine
Art, Politics, and Critical Citizenry in Morocco: An Interview with Driss Ksikes
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Why was a Supreme Court judge, who happened to be Arab, not allowed the liberal privilege of being “tolerated” for his silence? And why was he denied his democratic right to non-participation and silent expression?click | email | tweet
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Jadalicious / جدلشس
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 22)
- Israel Mows the Lawn
- نون"... حرف واحدة تكفي فاتحة للخراب الاكبر في العراق"
- Mohamed Bouazizi, l'ouvrier agricole : Relire la « révolution » depuis les campagnes tunisiennes
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 21)
- Video: US Aid to Israel - The Real Deal
- بغايا بغداد التعيسات
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 14-20)
- HRW Whitewashes Israel, The Law Supports Hamas: Some Reflections on Israel’s Latest Massacre
- Press Release: UNRWA Commissioner-General Press Briefing on the Situation in Gaza Strip
- Kateb Yacine: A Profile from the Archives
- On the Margins Roundup (July)
- On Our Intervention in Kalam al-Nas: Real Estate Development Will Not Realize the Dreams of the Lebanese
- رد مصر على الهجوم الإسرائيلي على غزة: مقابلة مع حسام الحملاوي
- Incremental Genocide: An Interview with Ilan Pappe
- HRW Improves Position on Gaza/Israel, Calls for Suspension of Some US Arms to Israel
- مقطع من رواية سِفر الاختفاء
- Egypt's Response To The Israeli Assault On Gaza: An Interview With Hossam El-Hamalawy
- كم نكبة عاشها فلسطينيو سيناء؟ الجزء الثاني
- Did Israel Spark Violence to Prevent "Peace Offensive"?: Democracy Now! Interview with Mouin Rabbani and Norman Finkelstein