From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Maghreb and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Maghreb Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday night of every week.]
Can Algeria and France finally turn the page? Imad Mesdoua assesses Algerian-French relations after Francoise Hollande’s remarks on French colonization in Algeria.
Alors que la campagne a déjà commencé: Bouteflika serait-il partant pour un 4e mandat ? Ali Fares postulates that the Algerian president will seek a fourth term.
Tunisia, Algeria sign security pact Tunisia and Algeria reach a security agreement focusing on insecure border areas.
Islamist Militant Groups on the Rise in Africa National Public Radio reporters discuss presence of Al-Qaida and Al-Shabab in Libya and Mali.
Libya's Slapstick Democracy Explained Karl ReMarks describes shortcomings of new developments in Libya’s new democracy.
Magarief strongly supports women’s inclusion in the constitution drafting committee Sami Zaptia reports on Libyan women’s NGOs meeting with General National Congress President Mohamed Magarief.
Libya Rediscovers its Hidden Talent Rana Jawad provides a hopeful look at art in Libya through perspectives on Libyan artists.
Libyan gunmen kidnap chief police investigator in Benghazi North Africa United reports on abduction of Abdesalam al-Mahdawi.
La Mauritanie se rapproche davantage du Polisario Mohammed Jaabouk analyzes the role of the Polisario in Mauritanian-Moroccan relations.
Arresting Teachers who have been on Strike and the Detention of TV Channel Team The Arabic Network for Human Rights Information condemns arrest of 27 teachers at a sit in Mauritania protesting their transfer to remote areas of the country.
Will Mauritania's Project Zazou encourage vegetarianism? Analysis of the impact of Mauritania’s ban on plastic bags
Video: Marrakech uprisings Protestors chant “We Want the Fall of the Regime” at protests in Marrakech while riot police try to quell uprising.
Rétrospéctives : Ces polémiques qui ont marqué le Maroc en 2012 Artisthick blogger Miryam Lahli offers insight into the “polemic” state of culture in Morocco in 2012.
Soulèvement populaire à Marrakech - Qui sème la misère récolte la colère Association Marocain des Droits Humains (AMDH) Nord-France responds to police brutality against riots in Marrakech.
Inside Disputed Western Sahara Tom Stevenson draws links between disputed Western Sahara territory and Palestine
Au Maroc, des grèves de la faim contre les conditions de détention. Ilhem Rachidi reports on hunger strikes by political prisoners in Morocco.
State of Freedom in Speech in Tunisia in 2012 Afef Abrougui provides a synopsis of the past year in freedom of speech victories and defeats.
Tunisia sells of Ben Ali assets Monica Ghanmi reports on month long auction of the former head of state’s affairs, including jewelry, clothing, art and collection of luxury vehicles.
Tunisie : Un « Sheratongate » pour le ministre des affaires étrangères, Rafik Abdessalem ? Rachid Cherif describes the response of Tunisian officials to accusations from blogger Olfa Riahi.
Recent Jadaliyya Articles on the Maghreb
Maghreb Monthly Edition on Jadaliyya (December 2012)
Jadaliyya's Maghreb Page Echoes in France
Memory Wars and the Messiness of History: An Interview with Jim House on the Commemoration of 17 October 1961
Politics after Abdessalam Yassine
Art, Politics, and Critical Citizenry in Morocco: An Interview with Driss Ksikes
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“Rethinking post-colonialism ... demands that we re-conceptualize how colonialism is invoked [...]. It means remembering that identity politics was a tool of colonialism picked up by post-colonial regimes.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- New Texts Out Now: Maha Abdelrahman, Egypt's Long Revolution: Protest Movements and Uprisings
- Le Père Lebret, chroniqueur de l’Etat libanais en construction
- Expropriation, Lawlessness, and Resistance in Yirca's Olive Groves: An Interview with Olcay Bingol and Deniz Bayram
- لم يكن في خطتنا أن ننتصر
- Faculty Support Student-Workers of UAW 2865 in Solidarity with Palestinian Students and Workers
- Syria Media Roundup (November 25)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 25)
- Moving in the Maze with Cairene Artist Qarm Qart
- Larissa Sansour
- Event at GMU: The Double Execution of Saddam Hussein: Diaspora, Media, and Images, with Zainab Saleh
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 17-23)
- A French Atlas of the Gulf States
- Egypt Media Roundup (November 24)
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (23 November)
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)