From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
[The following list is a compilation of the reports, statements, and other materials featured on the Jadaliyya Reports Page this past week.]
Calls to Boycott Qatar and the UAE for Labor Violations The International Trade Union Confederation expresses its intent to organize a boycott of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and the UAE (if selected to host the 2024 Olympics) unless these nations improve their subpar working conditions for migrant laborers.
United Nations Periodic Update on Syria The Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic of the United Nations summarizes the military situation and violations of human rights and humanitarian law covering the period between 28 September to 16 December 2012.
Reporters Without Borders Condemn Arrests in Bahrain Reporters Without Borders calls for the immediate release of human rights defender Sayed Yousef Al-Muhafda, who was arrest on December 17 on a charge of posting false information on Twitter.
Joint Statement Condemning IOF Raid on the Offices of Palestinian NGOs in Ramallah The Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council condemns the raid on human rights NGOs' offices by Israeli Occupying Forces. During these raids, the offices were ransacked, and computers, files, and video equipment were stolen.
Israeli's Worldwide Role in Repression The International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network reports on the role of Israel’s government, military, and related corporations and organizations in a global industry of violence and repression. The states most involved with this industry profit from perpetual war and occupation across the globe while maintaining vastly unequal societies of their own.
Month-by-Month Summary of Developments in Syria (Updated) International Crisis Group issues a monthly "Crisis Watch" report on Syria. These briefs are compiled here, showing the progression of the Syrian conflict.
An Open Letter of Response to CRIF (Conseil Représentatif des Institutions Juives de France) Richard Falk, a professor emeritus of international law at Princeton University, responds to allegations that he is an anti-Semite and self-hating Jew.
Access Denied: Bahrain Restricting Entry to Limit International Exposure Bahrain Watch's new project Access Denied shows how the Bahraini government is restricting the entrance of journalists, researchers, politicians, etc, through its interactive timeline and database.
An Eye Witness Account of Yemeni Students Protesting Campus Militarization Woman from Yemen narrates her experience at a student protest at Sanaa University on December 22. The protest's aim was to end the presence of the military at their education faciility.
Letter Concerning Imprisonment and Maltreatment of Omid Kokabee The Committee on Academic Freedom of the Middle East Studies Association addresses Ayatollah Ali Khamenei with their concerns over the imprisonment of Omid Kokabee, a doctoral student in physics at the University of Texas at Austin, in Iran. Mr. Kokabee has been imprisoned since his arrest in February 2011 for communicating with a hostile government and receiving illegitimate funds, both of which he denies.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"The neoliberalization of the Turkish economy brought about new ways to exploit all forms of women’s labor... the government’s vested interest is not in protecting women workers from the violations of capital, but in creating the conditions in which her body is primarily understood as the site of reproduction."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- O.I.L. Media Roundup (23 November)
- Arab Jewish Identity and the Art of Hospitality: A Conversation with Michael Rakowitz
- Visit Our Jadaliyya/ASI/GMU Booths at MESA! #83 and #84
- Maghreb Media Roundup (November 21)
- Give Palestinian Children a Voice
- On the Margins Roundup (November)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (November 19)
- شعراء ما بعد الطوفان
- New Texts Out Now: Lina Khatib, Dina Matar, and Atef Alshaer, The Hizbullah Phenomenon: Politics and Communication
- New Texts Out Now: Rula Jurdi Abisaab and Malek Abisaab, The Shi‘ites of Lebanon: Modernism, Communism, and Hizbullah’s Islamists
- Migration, Fisheries, and the Supremacy of European Interests in Mauritania
- مجلة “الوضع” الصوتية على الهواء أصغوا وساهموا
- Status Audio Journal is Live! Listen Away and Contribute
- Syria Media Roundup (November 18)
- Turkey Media Roundup (November 18)
- R-Shief Launches New Research Tools Allowing Full Access to Social Media Archives
- Armenian Diaspora Tourism in Turkey: An Interview with Anny Bakalian
- Sexual Violence, Women’s Bodies, and Israeli Settler Colonialism
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (November 10-16)
- Kenneth Balfelt