From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
We are very happy to report that Nergis Ertürk, whose book Grammatology and Literary Modernity in Turkey was featured in New Texts Out Now (NEWTON) in 2012, is the recipient of the Nineteenth Annual Modern Language Association Prize for a First Book.
She will receive the award, together with the other winners of 2012 MLA publication prizes, on 5 January at the 2013 Annual MLA Convention in Boston.
This gives us the opportunity to congratulate four other 2012 NEWTON authors who were also awarded major prizes for their books:
Rochelle Davis, whose book Palestinian Village Histories: Geographies of the Displaced was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Nile Green, whose book Bombay Islam: The Religious Economy of the West Indian Ocean, 1840-1915 was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Alan Mikhail, whose book Nature and Empire in Ottoman Egypt: An Environmental History was awarded the 2011 Roger Owen Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Shahla Talebi, whose book Ghosts of Revolution: Rekindled Memories of Imprisonment in Iran won the 2011 Outstanding Academic Title Award, sponsored by Choice, and received Honorable Mention in the Biography & Autobiography category in the 2011 PROSE Awards.
For a complete list of books and articles featured in NEWTON last year, see our NEWTON 2012 in Review.
New Texts Out Now is published weekly. If you are the author of a recently published or forthcoming work, or if you have a suggestion for a NEWTON post, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"Little attention has been paid to asking what motive the U.S. would have for exaggerating or concocting the connection of Iran’s government to this plot."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- DARS Media Roundup (June 2015)
- New Texts Out Now: Mohammad Mehdi Khorrami, Literary Subterfuge and Contemporary Persian Fiction: Who Writes Iran?
- Alif: Aynama-Rtama
- Turkey Media Roundup (June 30)
- Syria Media Roundup (June 30)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (June 30)
- The Light Bulb and the Oak Tree: Politics of Space Meets the Ballot Box
- خلايا حيّة
- The Right to Democratic Dissent: A View from Greece
- Egypt Media Roundup (June 29)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (June 22-28)
- Cities Media Roundup (June 2015)
- 'I must save my life and not risk my family’s safety!': Untold Stories of Syrian Women Surviving War (Part 1)
- خطوط مرسومة على خريطة فارغة: حدود العراق وأسطورة الدولة المصطنعة الجزء الأول
- A Dangerous Dualism: The Myth of Two Algerias
- الوقوف على تخوم أرض السواد
- حمص: مدينة اخترعها الله على مهل
- New Texts Out Now: Keith David Watenpaugh, Bread From Stones: The Middle East and the Making of Modern Humanitarianism
- لويس لونا: قصائد مختارة
- الصورة الوحيدة ليسرا