From the Editors
We are very happy to report that Nergis Ertürk, whose book Grammatology and Literary Modernity in Turkey was featured in New Texts Out Now (NEWTON) in 2012, is the recipient of the Nineteenth Annual Modern Language Association Prize for a First Book.
She will receive the award, together with the other winners of 2012 MLA publication prizes, on 5 January at the 2013 Annual MLA Convention in Boston.
This gives us the opportunity to congratulate four other 2012 NEWTON authors who were also awarded major prizes for their books:
Rochelle Davis, whose book Palestinian Village Histories: Geographies of the Displaced was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Nile Green, whose book Bombay Islam: The Religious Economy of the West Indian Ocean, 1840-1915 was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Alan Mikhail, whose book Nature and Empire in Ottoman Egypt: An Environmental History was awarded the 2011 Roger Owen Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Shahla Talebi, whose book Ghosts of Revolution: Rekindled Memories of Imprisonment in Iran won the 2011 Outstanding Academic Title Award, sponsored by Choice, and received Honorable Mention in the Biography & Autobiography category in the 2011 PROSE Awards.
For a complete list of books and articles featured in NEWTON last year, see our NEWTON 2012 in Review.
New Texts Out Now is published weekly. If you are the author of a recently published or forthcoming work, or if you have a suggestion for a NEWTON post, please send an email to email@example.com.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
“The murder of four Shiites that the artistic collective, Mosireen captured and documented in the above video is an ugly moment. It speaks volumes about two coinciding phenomena.”click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- فصل من رواية نوكيا
- A City-Sized Prison-House
- Turkey Media Roundup (July 29)
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 29)
- Cities Media Roundup (July 1-28)
- Isolating Gaza
- العراق: خطاب التقسيم والأقلمة
- Joint Declaration by International Law Experts on Israel’s Gaza Offensive
- Egypt Media Roundup (July 28)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (July 21-27)
- Reporter Jon Snow on Gaza's Children: Misery and Responsibility
- The Informants: Manufacturing Terror
- Arab Studies Journal Call for Papers: "Wayn al-Dawleh?" In Search of the Lebanese State
- Video: When Media Coverage Of Gaza And Israel Becomes The Story
- Maghreb Media Roundup (July 26)
- عن صعود الطائفية السياسية في العراق و تفكيكها
- Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza—Debunked
- Growing Israeli and Neoconservative Fears of One More Frittata (Groundbreaking Video)
- Statement by Palestinian Academics, Public Figures, and Activists in Gaza: No Ceasefire Without Justice
- The Palestinian Resistance and Its Enemies
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
A City-Sized Prison-House http://t.co/vbUvlX6PvR
11 hours ago
باسم سليمان: فصل من رواية نوكيا http://t.co/DNcrNwENJv
14 hours ago
Turkey Media Roundup (July 29) http://t.co/aRs2uMpjcw
16 hours ago
Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (July 29) http://t.co/AqJHDWXfNC
17 hours ago
Cities Media Roundup (July 1-28) http://t.co/bZLX5YvB46
17 hours ago