From the Editors
We are very happy to report that Nergis Ertürk, whose book Grammatology and Literary Modernity in Turkey was featured in New Texts Out Now (NEWTON) in 2012, is the recipient of the Nineteenth Annual Modern Language Association Prize for a First Book.
She will receive the award, together with the other winners of 2012 MLA publication prizes, on 5 January at the 2013 Annual MLA Convention in Boston.
This gives us the opportunity to congratulate four other 2012 NEWTON authors who were also awarded major prizes for their books:
Rochelle Davis, whose book Palestinian Village Histories: Geographies of the Displaced was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Nile Green, whose book Bombay Islam: The Religious Economy of the West Indian Ocean, 1840-1915 was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Alan Mikhail, whose book Nature and Empire in Ottoman Egypt: An Environmental History was awarded the 2011 Roger Owen Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Shahla Talebi, whose book Ghosts of Revolution: Rekindled Memories of Imprisonment in Iran won the 2011 Outstanding Academic Title Award, sponsored by Choice, and received Honorable Mention in the Biography & Autobiography category in the 2011 PROSE Awards.
For a complete list of books and articles featured in NEWTON last year, see our NEWTON 2012 in Review.
New Texts Out Now is published weekly. If you are the author of a recently published or forthcoming work, or if you have a suggestion for a NEWTON post, please send an email to email@example.com.
If you prefer, email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"HCJ’s ruling construes a right for Israel to extensively exploit the natural resources in the OPT for the benefit of the Israeli private market."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Breaking: Yemeni Political Alliances Shift as Houthis Capture Sanaa
- On Dead and Living Characters
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 15-21)
- Mehdi Haddab
- Court Suspends Mahienour El-Massry's Sentence, Orders Release
- Muhammad Abduh: A Profile from the Archives
- Iraq: A State or Militias?
- Progressive Struggles against Insidious Capitalist Individualism: Interview with Angela Davis
- Syria Media Roundup (September 20)
- DARS Media Roundup (September 20)
- حروب الردة أو اغتيال المستقبل
- Defending Palestine Solidarity Activists: An Interview with Dima Khalidi
- Sympathy for the Devil: Palestine’s Tragic Collaborators
- LA Event--From Gaza to Ferguson: A Panel Discussion (18 September 2014)
- Understanding Modernity: A Review of the Kuwait Pavilion at the Venice Biennale
- New Texts Out Now: Myriam Ababsa, Atlas of Jordan: History, Territories, and Society
- أسباب الثورة في البحرين: حوار مع مريم الخواجة
- Yasmine Hamdan
- Telepoetic with Rami Abadir
- Media, Activism and the New Political: 'Istanbul Conversations' on New Media and Left Politics
Jad NavigationView Full Map, Topics, and Countries »
Breaking: Yemeni Political Alliances Shift as Houthis Capture San`aa http://t.co/AI2wniL4VP
yesterday at 7:42 PM
Breaking: Yemeni Political Alliances Shift as Houthis Capture San`aa http://t.co/7BELpGoxKz
yesterday at 7:35 PM
Syria Media Roundup (September 20) http://t.co/YkatvqVXgO
yesterday at 9:41 AM
Last Week on Jadaliyya (September 15-21) http://t.co/uAyWIuwQZD
yesterday at 6:02 AM
Mehdi Haddab http://t.co/VTJrqK9mbh
yesterday at 5:54 AM