From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
We are very happy to report that Nergis Ertürk, whose book Grammatology and Literary Modernity in Turkey was featured in New Texts Out Now (NEWTON) in 2012, is the recipient of the Nineteenth Annual Modern Language Association Prize for a First Book.
She will receive the award, together with the other winners of 2012 MLA publication prizes, on 5 January at the 2013 Annual MLA Convention in Boston.
This gives us the opportunity to congratulate four other 2012 NEWTON authors who were also awarded major prizes for their books:
Rochelle Davis, whose book Palestinian Village Histories: Geographies of the Displaced was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Nile Green, whose book Bombay Islam: The Religious Economy of the West Indian Ocean, 1840-1915 was a co-winner of the 2011 Albert Hourani Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Alan Mikhail, whose book Nature and Empire in Ottoman Egypt: An Environmental History was awarded the 2011 Roger Owen Book Award, given by the Middle East Studies Assocation.
Shahla Talebi, whose book Ghosts of Revolution: Rekindled Memories of Imprisonment in Iran won the 2011 Outstanding Academic Title Award, sponsored by Choice, and received Honorable Mention in the Biography & Autobiography category in the 2011 PROSE Awards.
For a complete list of books and articles featured in NEWTON last year, see our NEWTON 2012 in Review.
New Texts Out Now is published weekly. If you are the author of a recently published or forthcoming work, or if you have a suggestion for a NEWTON post, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you prefer, email your comments to email@example.com.
Hot on Facebook
Jadalicious / جدلشس
"That this election is proceeding in a context of wide-scale arrest, prosecution, imprisonment and even murder of political dissidents leaves little doubt that this vote is devoid of democratic merits."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Composer Maurice Louca on Salute the Parrot
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 19-25)
- ISIS in the News: Extensive Media Roundup (November-December 2014)
- January Culture Bouquet
- Zajal on Arak
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Ramparts
- Jabra Ibrahim Jabra: Jerusalem, Time Embodied
- ‘A Distinctly French Universalism’: Translating Laïcité after Charlie
- الإخوان من الجماعة إلى الفرقة
- تقييم حالة الإعلام الخاص فى مصر
- Mubarakism on Steroids: Jadaliyya Co-Editor Hesham Sallam Interviewed on the Anniversary of the Revolution
- The Revolutionary Practice of Endurance
- Is Cairene Graffiti Losing Momentum?
- “Old People Are Not Revolutionaries!” Labor Struggles Between Precarity and Istiqrar in a Factory Occupation in Egypt
- Will the Counter-Revolution Continue?
- Charlie Hebdo ve Cumhuriyetin Sinirlari
- Visualizing Impact: The Long Run & On the Brink
- Call for Submissions: Palestine Yearbook of International Law
- Syria Media Roundup (January 19)
- مجلة الدراسات الفلسطينية العدد 101: تطورات القدس ومسألة السلفية الجهادية